Chapala.com Webboard

High Speed Fiber Optic Internet at Lakeside - New Option!

tkessler

6 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

The "sign up" is really a statement of intent. No commitment and no money paid.

OK, got it, Angus, thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2017 at 5:07 PM, tkessler said:

However your point is  why we are asking for pledges first.  If enough people are interested,  it'll go to contracts, and provide guarantee of returned monies if the project does not consummate.

5 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Is it possible to keep one's current telephone #?

Fiber Optics would not be ‘associated’ with a telephone connection so, much like if one got cable Interent, the phone number is unrelated and thus not an issue. 

10 hours ago, RickS said:

Fiber Optics would not be ‘associated’ with a telephone connection so, much like if one got cable Interent, the phone number is unrelated and thus not an issue. 

I understood one would get internet, telephone and TV, so then it would be associated with a telephone connection.

Q3  What does the Triple 50 Residential service include?

A3  It includes 50Mb (75Mb first year) asymmetrical internet (downstream 50 Mb - upstream 12.5Mb), 1 Chapala area phone number, and 100 TV channels.

12 hours ago, RickS said:

Telecable offer phone numbers..  So it appears that phones numbers are related to cable internet 

We have cable internet which offers a phone service too.  However, there are options to avoid their expensive phone service and just use internet: Vonage, Skype, or our choice of Ooma.  We bought Ooma for $99 USD and just use the basic service for the USA, but you can use the premium and have international service & other goodies.  We pay $4.09 USD/month in fees and taxes, but no phone charges.  You could probably do the same in Mexico.  If you have a cell phone, that is another option and the one we use for rare long distance calling, etc.  Ooma has freed us from robocalls.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

We have cable internet which offers a phone service too.  However, there are options to avoid their expensive phone service and just use internet: Vonage, Skype, or our choice of Ooma.  We bought Ooma for $99 USD and just use the basic service for the USA, but you can use the premium and have international service & other goodies.  We pay $4.09 USD/month in fees and taxes, but no phone charges.  You could probably do the same in Mexico.  If you have a cell phone, that is another option and the one we use for rare long distance calling, etc.  Ooma has freed us from robocalls.

We use Ooma in Puerto Vallarta also and the call quality is excellent and with the app (free) for our smartphones we can make calls to the US when out and about only using whatever wifi data is needed, which is minimal or pesos from our balance and the person called sees our US number. And yes, the robo calls have stopped. Once purchased, all you pay are the US phone taxes associated with whatever phone number you have. We ported our old number which we have had for over 20 years so no having to notify folks of a new number. Very handy when dealing with banks, credit card companies, etc. as there are no questions of why we are calling from outside the US. 800 numbers work just as they do in the US.

4 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

I understood one would get internet, telephone and TV, so then it would be associated with a telephone connection.

Q3  What does the Triple 50 Residential service include?

A3  It includes 50Mb (75Mb first year) asymmetrical internet (downstream 50 Mb - upstream 12.5Mb), 1 Chapala area phone number, and 100 TV channels.

Your point is well taken. My comment was mainly that the fiber offering is not associated with a Telmex phone capability but rather would make use of Voice over IP (VoIP) Internet phone service. Your question of whether one could ‘use their existing phone number’ would be conditioned on the new company’s ability to “Port” an existing landline phone over to VoIP. That is plainly doable NOB but I don’t know about here. If someone has ported a Mexican landline number to, say, a cable Internet company then it is at least a possibility if not a probibility.

16 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

We use Ooma in Puerto Vallarta.....and yes, the robo calls have stopped. We ported our old number which we have had for over 20 years so no having to notify folks of a new number. 

Clarifications por favor.....  did you port a NOB number (that you’ve had for 20+ years)? I think that the Poster here might have been asking whether he/she could port a Mexican number. 

Also if as I suspect you are talking about a NOB number, how did that rid you of robo calls.... the number would not have changed (for them to abuse) but rather the method of conveyance. I too recently (NOB) obtained OOMA and ported an existing 20+ year land line number. My robo calls have certainly continued as I suspected they might. Fortunately with the newer (non Bell landline) technology I can easily block those numbers as they come in with OOMA. Easy-peasy. 

Yes to all of the above. We have done the same as you. Since Ooma is not "licensed" in Mexico I'm sure you could not port a Mexican number. We use our Telmex home phone for that or Telcel cel phones. Easy-peasy as you said to block those calls. If one wants to pay the extra $20/Mo for Ooma Premium you get some extra benefits, the only one we would use would be that calls to your US (Ooma) number would also ring on your cel but that's not worth it for us. Easy enough to check your voicemail on your phone and return any call you missed.  I realize Skype and Vonage have their happy customers also but like Rick and RV we are very happy with Ooma.

At this point there is no downside. If the company does not get the numbers they need they're gone. If they do the runner is moved to second base. If they get the numbers they seek  it's then a risk/reward decision for those that committed. 

Strangely enough the last time I saw 50mb download was in Warsaw Poland a couple of years ago. 

I'll take this bet now and do due diligence before any money changes hands.

Competition or even the possibility perhaps can change the minds of the current players. 

All,

So far we have 128 signups.  About 43% of the goal  to show  there is enough interest to make the business case to  build out a network. .   If you have already signed up, please tell your friends and neighbors.   Getting the word out and explaining to someone else why they need sign up is as important as doing it yourself. 

In high density urban areas, like Guadalajara and Mexico City, fiber optic Internet is a no brainer.  In areas like Lakeside,  there are a lot of people on fixed incomes, many don't need high speed Internet.  There are a lot of weekend homes.  If the interested people at Lakeside who have the purchasing power and need for high speed internet don't speak up and show their interest, the carriers will continue to ignore  or misunderstand the true opportunity of the area.  

Please note I have no financial ties or interest with Ilox or any other carrier.  Just an interested homeowner wanting high speed service myself and the property value increase having good infrastructure will bring.

thanks,

Tom Kessler

This is the craziest thing I have ever seen!

"They need about 300 prepaid 1yr contracts costing $9948 MXN"

That is $829 pesos per mo... and they want a legal commitment in advance before installing even the main trunk lines, based solely on their allegedly having permission to use Telmex telephone poles?  Cable providers install based on market research, not legal commitments. This is bass-ackwards if I ever saw bass-ackwards. This is a recipe for heartache for everyone but the cable-provider.

Carlos Slim, the former richest man in the world (Jeff Bezos seems to have taken that spot.) But the question still arises, How do you become that rich off a 3rd world country without really screwing the people on the cost of services and failing to invest in services and infrastructure so severely that people are willing to legally commit to $829 pesos per month to a different provider to hopefully get even moderate services that TelMex should already be providing.... services provided by the majority of the the internet providers in the rest of the world.

Speedtest used to show your "grade" based on Mexico and based on the world... and usually our internet speed was rate "D" or "F" compared to the rest of the world.

I guess you don't get really rich providing service... only providing a monopoly.

1 hour ago, Aquaponicsman said:

But the question still arises, How do you become that rich off a 3rd world country without really screwing the people...

Mexico is aligned with the US and your ungrateful use of the slur should be brought to the attention on the INM. Go back home, please.

If this company is really legit why 300 paid subscribers before starting.. They don't have the money to finance it themselves ...?   Why didn't  they do their own market research to find out if this project was financially feasible ...?

We have all heard stories about what can happen when you pay advance.. 

Archived