Chapala.com Webboard

Survey-Expats in Mexico, what's the attraction

Mainecoons

1 hour ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Yes I understand that.  Which is why I am surprised that no one mentioned it.  I have a number of friends who moved SOB for the very same reasons I did.

"One Puerto Vallarta resident said that “other than the drug wars, it’s better than I expected” while another respondent complained that “the biggest problem in Mexico is the expat folks that want to fix Mexico.”

That wasn't me but Amen to that.

I was looking for that last great adventure.  That's why I first moved to Catemaco, Ver.  I'm over that now so I'm loving the weather and a simpler life here amongst all you old expats.  :P

19 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Yes I understand that.  Which is why I am surprised that no one mentioned it.  I have a number of friends who moved SOB for the very same reasons I did.

I am not sure I understand moving to Mexico leaves the politics behind. If you view any NOB TV it's front and center, and discussed any many social  gatherings. When  "it's " brought in  my presence I always respond...If we live in  Mexico we should be  more concerned if Obrador is elected in 2018

Just out of plain old curiosity:  Unless one has been living incognito on a mountaintop, we are aware that both of the major political parties in Mexico which have been running the government in recent memory (at least in the over a dozen years I've been here) have been well known for their corruption in many areas.  Squashing the bad news hasn't helped.  So:  what, specifically, does anyone see that would be worse for us expats if Obrador is elected?  What changes do you anticipate, since it looks like he has a chance this time around?

BTW, I moved here for most of the same reasons others did:  change of pace, new sights, good weather and another one not so far mentioned:  In the U.S., particularly in my old home state of CA, anyone over the age of 60 is relegated to the trash heap of being irrelevant to society.  This feels much better.

I like how you can get things  done in this country. Whether it is get out of jail free, or a tract of farmland rezoned as residential, a child molester shot, there is a price to pay, and then you get results. A great country to make a pile of money quickly, rewarding those who helped grease your wheels. My only concern that Obrador (AMLO) will spoil it all with his transparency and accountability campaigns. Oh well, he wouldn't be too long in power before he joins the buffet lineup too -tee hee hee.

17 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I like how you can get things  done in this country. Whether it is get out of jail free, or a tract of farmland rezoned as residential, a child molester shot, there is a price to pay, and then you get results. A great country to make a pile of money quickly, rewarding those who helped grease your wheels. My only concern that Obrador (AMLO) will spoil it all with his transparency and accountability campaigns. Oh well, he wouldn't be too long in power before he joins the buffet lineup too -tee hee hee.

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I am not sure I understand moving to Mexico leaves the politics behind. If you view any NOB TV it's front and center, and discussed any many social  gatherings. When  "it's " brought in  my presence I always respond...If we live in  Mexico we should be  more concerned if Obrador is elected in 2018

Easy.  Don't watch NOB TV.  It is half ads anyway.  NetFlix, Amazon and direct downloading provide a wealth of entertainment without the ads or political BS.  Everytime we go up north and watch cable TV I am astounded that the majority of the content is advertising.  There is so much of it in the programming it is hard to maintain the continuity of what it is you are watching.  I can't imagine why some people put huge dishes on their house and shovel out tons of money monthly to watch mostly ads.

The beauty of living in a place where the weather is almost always good and rarely too hot or too cold is that you can be out and about enjoying it and the many, many local entertainments and opportunities to do interesting stuff.

As for AMLO I wish him the best but the political corruption is so pervasive here I just don't see one person getting elected being able to do much about it.  But I wish him luck and success.  Clearly electing the same old PRI and PAN isn't going to have any impact on the corruption.

What you said about the ads is true:  you can hardly follow the content of the program because of the constant interruption.  Better to get the news elsewhere, like in print or on the net.  For entertainment, the best is elsewhere; like Netflix and others.  Who needs the aggravation?  Life is crazy enough.B)

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Easy.  Don't watch NOB TV.  It is half ads anyway.  NetFlix, Amazon and direct downloading provide a wealth of entertainment without the ads or political BS.  Everytime we go up north and watch cable TV I am astounded that the majority of the content is advertising.  There is so much of it in the programming it is hard to maintain the continuity of what it is you are watching.  I can't imagine why some people put huge dishes on their house and shovel out tons of money monthly to watch mostly ads.

The beauty of living in a place where the weather is almost always good and rarely too hot or too cold is that you can be out and about enjoying it and the many, many local entertainments and opportunities to do interesting stuff.

As for AMLO I wish him the best but the political corruption is so pervasive here I just don't see one person getting elected being able to do much about it.  But I wish him luck and success.  Clearly electing the same old PRI and PAN isn't going to have any impact on the corruption.

That is why you use a system that has a DVR, just fast forward.  hahaha 

Archived