Chapala.com Webboard

Costco tires

cedros

I am looking for a pair of Dunlop tires. I've been to a few places Lakeside but I wonder how Costco compares. On their website all they seem to carry is Michelin. Does anyone know what brands Costco carries?  

I don't know about Dunlops but I found out the hard way the Bridgestones I bought at CostCo can't take the pounding of these bad and getting worse roads.  Michelin makes the toughest tires for both cars and motos IMO and I'll be switching back next trip north.  The LTX is a great "bad road" tire because of its very strong sidewalls.  I always used Michelins on my CRVs, for over 10 years without any problems or flats but I've already had several sidewall failures with the Bridgestones.

Michelin sound good but two of my Dunlops are fine and two need replacing so I want to stick with the same. You would think that Costco would carry other brands.

4 minutes ago, cedros said:

Michelin sound good but two of my Dunlops are fine and two need replacing so I want to stick with the same. You would think that Costco would carry other brands.

If you have shopped Costco for any amount of time you would not make that statement, LOL.

Try the tire place on the west side of Hotel Perico on the libramiento. They recently were able to match a "Continental" tire I needed (damaged one on a tope, and that's what came as factory issue on my car). Took one day to get it.    I suspect they can get nearly anything you want, and they were a much better price than the Goodyear place (where we usually get quotes).

49 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Try the Goodyear place in Chapala.

I did but the guy who would know wasn't there. I'll try again tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Try the tire place on the west side of Hotel Perico on the libramiento. They recently were able to match a "Continental" tire I needed (damaged one on a tope, and that's what came as factory issue on my car). Took one day to get it.    I suspect they can get nearly anything you want, and they were a much better price than the Goodyear place (where we usually get quotes).

I did today. They could get them but they were pricey. There are two places in Jocotepec that I will try tomorrow. It would be much easier if I was buying 4 instead of two which is what I normally do. Then the brand would not matter so much. My 2 rear ones are quite worn the 2 front ones are good. At some point I guess they were rotated.  They are all the same age.

My question would be why anyone would like to duplicate an OEM tire? They are the cheapest that the car's maker could source.

Long ago I switched to Michelin and have never had a problem that wasn't self inflicted.

What is OEM? If you mean why get the same as is already on the vehicle-because I only need to buy 2 . If I switch to something else I would have to get 4. Quite a difference in price as it looks like each one would cost over 3,000. The tires have 45,000 kilometers on them.

12 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

My question would be why anyone would like to duplicate an OEM tire? They are the cheapest that the car's maker could source.

Long ago I switched to Michelin and have never had a problem that wasn't self inflicted.

OEM tires are no different than any other tire. My F150 came with B F Goodrich tires that had the same warranty as after market tires...

30 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

OEM tires are no different than any other tire. My F150 came with B F Goodrich tires that had the same warranty as after market tires...

The warranty may be the same as the cheap duplicate. At least you didn't get a Kumho brand (with that same warranty) that many Ford cars get.

My experience over the last 15 years of tire buying here is that Fuentes Peña (Firestone sign) in Chapala really know what they are doing, but can be pricey depending on how specific you are, especially if they have to order from Guadalajara... and then sometimes they never quite seem to be able to get them. So I always buy what is in stock, two at a time, any brand. Most recently, Maximus brand, whatever they are. But I have also bought them at the place on the libramiento, again what's in stock. I drive a Buick boat, and the prices stay around $1500 / tire.

The best prices were at the place outside Jocotepec, Grupo Olmesa (which may or may not be these days the same as the libramiento store, although I have heard lots of stories about that place changing hands). No matter the brand, they last about five or six years with regular driving on some pretty crappy roads here.

I finished my shopping for tires. Costco only carries Michelin @ 2,849 c/u and Firestone @ 2,900 c/u. I would need 4. Pricey. My car is 4 years old and I might only keep it for 2 more years. If I was to keep the car longer I might buy at Costco.

4 places said I only needed to buy two new Dunlops that matched the ones I have. Tonys in San Antonio @4,000 c/u. Libremiento tire place 3,260 c/u, Goodyear in Chapala 2,050 c/u. They balance and align. I've given up waiting for a price from the tire place near Pemex in Ajijic.

The eastern tire store in Jocotepec was too busy to give me a quote. The store west of the Pemex in Jocotepec said I needed 4 new tires. He recommended Starfire @1,350 c/u and Tiger @ 1,700 c/u. Both are Mexican brands. They don't do aligning. We asked Costco about these last 2 brands and they didn't recommend them. So Good year in Chapala is my choice.

Archived