Chapala.com Webboard

Condominium Association

HoneyBee

Hi,

Back in march of this year, I bought a little apartment in a brand new building which is part of about  20 buildings currently built. The existing buildings represent about 20 percent of the planned project. Unfortunately, the builder has gone bankrupt but no other owners are aware of this yet. This coming Saturday, they will be clearing all of there equipment. 

I have a meeting with the architect which also happens to be the owners daughter this coming Wednesday. The reason for this is when they leave they will most probably shot off the water pumps as well as turn off the street lights. Obviously I would like to find common ground in order to prevent this.

I know they have commercial rates being a company. 

So the question I have, could someone recommend a lawyer who has experience in establishing some form of non profit organization which would then enable me to have the billing put in that name. I would then have to deal with each owner to have them sign on to what ever deal I can be put together. 

The alternative solution for myself is to install two 5000 litre water tanks on my back patio , by doing so, since not all have this option or the money, this place would very quickly turn in to a "ghetto".

Your input is very much welcome.

If your info is correct then you have a big problem..The water pumps will continue to need electrical service to function as will the street lights..Someone will have to deal with the the electrical company..Suggest you contact a lawyer..Spencer would be a good 1st choice..Good Luck in Santa Maria..

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have no problem dealing with CFE in order to bridge this situation, I am just concerned that I would have to pay residential rates which would be sky high given the fact that the 2 water pumps are in the order of several kVA. (Currently, they run the pumps about 2 hours a day in the morning, mainly for laundry).

I will swing by Spencer tomorrow,  but am under the impression that his main experience is with immigration matters. (as you know, Lomas De Santa Maria is an all Mexican working class neighborhood with many good and a couple of difficult people).  

There used to be both residential and commercial rates charged for electricity by CFE.. I am pretty sure there still is. Just checked. Yes there is. Shown below is just the beginning of the page explaining the business rates

Servicios públicos 5  5-A  6  Cuotas mensuales autorizadas
Agrícolas 9  9M  9-CU  9-N  Cuotas mensuales autorizadas
Temporal 7  Cuotas mensuales autorizadas
Acuícola EA

7 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Spencer and his staff of attorneys deal with practically everything.  There is no "commercial rate" for electricity and water. 

Yes, there is a commercial rate. When I had a storefront, I was charged a 32 peso base ( which is likely more now, this was several years ago, and was charged even when I shut off the electric completely for 2 months in the summer when I was closed for the season) and commercial KWH rates on top of that.

Many thanks Johanson and Mudgirl. For a while, I thought I was losing my mind since I remember the manager of the hotel perico getting a rate change in order to reduce his CFE bill. Will talk to Spencer today to see if he can provide a "bridge" service between the builder and myself for the purpose of taking over the water supply and street lighting and any thing else that I may be overlooking. I am looking at dealing with 70 apartment owners, if anything, I will improve my command of spanish! 

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, there is a commercial rate. When I had a storefront, I was charged a 32 peso base ( which is likely more now, this was several years ago, and was charged even when I shut off the electric completely for 2 months in the summer when I was closed for the season) and commercial KWH rates on top of that.

Not for a Condo group which is residencial.

Actually, I had a long discussion with the architect today and as it turns out, the water utilities will be billing each unit separately as each unit has its own meter and if they do not pay the utilities will simply cut them off. The street lighting as it turns out will have to be paid by the city of Chapala as they are on public roads. Also, I learned that the operation of the water pumps is billed by CFE at around 800 pesos/month. This is a construction rate so I will check with CFE to see what that would translate to for residencial.

Also I understand that these building are not classified as condo's. This is actually a government sponsored project threw Infonavit (I really do not understand the detailed other then the government picks up part of the costs for those that qualify. Obviously, I paid the full listed price and I have my "Escritura" )

Just glad I do not need to involve a lawyer now !

Would you like to  to share with us all, where is this project. At first I thought it was not at Lakeside but now you me tion Chapels city is paying for the lights.

Infonavit is like a HUD and loans money to Mexicans who have built up credits in their workplace 

I guess if thing's  get really bad you can start a Go Fund Me app

Tomas, will go with your good advice, thanks.

Lakeside7, the project is located on Calle Rosales, but just to let you now, all unit are spoken for. I really bought the place because they advertised afternoon English tea with cookies...(more seriously I wanted to buy several unit finish them, they are sold as shells and then rent them).

Archived