Chapala.com Webboard

Unlock IPhone 6s

Mainecoons

Maybe 6 years ago, I was told  by a Telcel outlet employee that they could send your iPhone into Guadalajara, and get the phone unlocked for a fee.

Why not check with the person you go to, to buy your Telcel time and see if they could help you getting the cellphone to the folks in Guadalajara who do this.

I've confirmed the phone is not "hot" but it is definitely locked.  There is a way to activate the phone without a sim card using ITunes but when I tried that it indicated the phone cannot be activated which means it is locked.

First time I've ever been ripped off by a high rated long time seller on EBay.  I'm calling them next.

I know there used to be some guy around here, "Ben" who could do this but that was some time ago.  I don't trust the people next to Plaza B, I needed something done on my other phone and they tried to take it apart and damaged it.  None of that was required to put money on it which is what I was trying to do.

Will take the phone to TelMex next week.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I've confirmed the phone is not "hot" but it is definitely locked.  There is a way to activate the phone without a sim card using ITunes but when I tried that it indicated the phone cannot be activated which means it is locked.

First time I've ever been ripped off by a high rated long time seller on EBay.  I'm calling them next.

I know there used to be some guy around here, "Ben" who could do this but that was some time ago.  I don't trust the people next to Plaza B, I needed something done on my other phone and they tried to take it apart and damaged it.  None of that was required to put money on it which is what I was trying to do.

Will take the phone to TelMex next week.

Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of Feedback..... If you have already given the Ebay seller feedback you can contact him and advise you will revise your feedback if he does not step up and solve your problem. That actually worked for me one time, the seller was honest and had "unlocked" the phone via some electronic method. When I actually got it in Mexico it was definitely locked but a Telcel guy unlocked it for $400. The seller was genuinely amazed but after I told him I believed him that he actually had it working on T Mobile in the Bay Area he also believed me that it would not work on Telcel and refunded me the unlock cost. It was too late to involve Ebay but the seller did not want any negative feedback.   YMMV

Just now, pappysmarket said:

Speaking of Feedback..... If you have already given the Ebay seller feedback you can contact him and advise you will revise your feedback if he does not step up and solve your problem. That actually worked for me one time, the seller was honest and had "unlocked" the phone via some electronic method. When I actually got it in Mexico it was definitely locked but a Telcel guy unlocked it for $400. The seller was genuinely amazed but after I told him I believed him that he actually had it working on T Mobile in the Bay Area he also believed me that it would not work on Telcel and refunded me the unlock cost. It was too late to involve Ebay but the seller did not want any negative feedback.   YMMV

Great suggestion although there are now a number of feedbacks on this seller from people who bought these phones and have had the same problem.  You wouldn't happen to know the contact for the guy you mentioned would you?  I'd rather deal with someone who is known to be able to handle this problem if I can.

I have a friend who bought a 6s phone in Texas, from a reputable dealer, she took it to Telcel in Laguna Mall as she was going to get service account from them,  After looking up code, they found out it was stolen in Oklahoma, and they confiscated the phone, my friend was out 330 dollars...

If you mean the Telcel guy who unlocked it............he is here in Puerto Vallarta.  Doesn't sound good if more are having the same problem. I would for sure in that case contact Ebay as they MIGHT be able/willing to help in that type of situation, not sure. Unless the seller is a true crook, most do not want to be barred from selling. Ebay will bar him if he refuses enough buyers to make it right. They will almost surely want you to first contact the seller. Make sure you do so via the Ebay mail system, not on the phone. That way Ebay can verify what has gone on between buyer and seller. Be polite but firm.

1 minute ago, pappysmarket said:

If you mean the Telcel guy who unlocked it............he is here in Puerto Vallarta.  Doesn't sound good if more are having the same problem. I would for sure in that case contact Ebay as they MIGHT be able/willing to help in that type of situation, not sure. Unless the seller is a true crook, most do not want to be barred from selling. Ebay will bar him if he refuses enough buyers to make it right. They will almost surely want you to first contact the seller. Make sure you do so via the Ebay mail system, not on the phone. That way Ebay can verify what has gone on between buyer and seller. Be polite but firm.

Done, none of us got an answer.  EBay is investigating.

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Done, none of us got an answer.  EBay is investigating.

Good luck, but Ebay does try to protect their rep. so you may be in luck. If it was just you, not much chance but with multiple buyers chances are better. I just won a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 in an Ebay auction for $73 and it's now sitting in Houston at US Global Mail awaiting enough other stuff to justify sending a full box down. Hopefully, I will not have the same problem. I don't mind taking a chance on used stuff on Ebay but for new I almost always use Amazon,usually more expensive but returns are easier. I know you aren't looking for any hindsight advice!

BTW, I have been very pleased with a bid snipe app for Ebay called Baytomat. It bids in the last 4 seconds of an auction and has more often than not made me the winner.

Even though the iPhone may no longer be locked to a specific telecom carrier, the IMEI number may still be associated with a user account in Apple's database and there may be an "Activation Lock" on the device. I don't think the SIM card or carrier makes a difference.

To turn off the Activation Lock and remove that iPhone from the database, the original owner of that user account must log in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID and password, select the device, erase it, and finally click "Remove From Account".

Then you can log in your own Apple ID and register the device to your own iCloud account.

If you have no way to contact the original owner, I think you're SOL.

All this said, please report back if you're successful in getting it unlocked through one of the local tech shops.

Thanks, and suerte,

Don

22 hours ago, Don Anomino said:

Even though the iPhone may no longer be locked to a specific telecom carrier, the IMEI number may still be associated with a user account in Apple's database and there may be an "Activation Lock" on the device. I don't think the SIM card or carrier makes a difference.

To turn off the Activation Lock and remove that iPhone from the database, the original owner of that user account must log in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID and password, select the device, erase it, and finally click "Remove From Account".

Then you can log in your own Apple ID and register the device to your own iCloud account.

If you have no way to contact the original owner, I think you're SOL.

All this said, please report back if you're successful in getting it unlocked through one of the local tech shops.

Thanks, and suerte,

Don

I've already gone on line and confirmed through Apple's database these phones are new and neither stolen nor associated with a user account.  

The problem apparently is they are associated with a cellular provider in Europe, probably surplus stock sold off but not unlocked properly.  

The other buyers apparently have been able to get them unlocked.  I'll let you all know what happens.

Archived