Chapala.com Webboard

TABARKA'S ITALIAN TREATS

gringal

We lunched at Tabarka today.  My spouse ordered his favorite swordfish and I decided to try the Gnocchi.  Known for its fish, Tabarka has added some Italian offerings:  Lasagna, gnocchi, raviolis and one other I can't spell.  Last week, I had the lasagna and was duly impressed.  It was large, multi-layered and nearly enough for two.  Great sauce; a little different.   The very rich white sauce on the Gnocchi was excellent: slight lemon flavor; lots of cheese and rich cream. This is definitely not diet food, but worth the sinning.  A nice side salad is a good balance to the rich  main dish. If you or your guests aren't thrilled with the idea of a fish dinner, this is a delicious alternative.  95 pesos.

There are already some excellent pasta places in Ajijic, but Tabarka's fish and seafood menu is unique.  I was a bit worried when they added the Italian items.  Sometimes restaurants try to be All Things to All People and end up losing their focus and their core customers.  I hope Tabarka  remains true to its Spanish seafood heritage. 

When we eat there (and we do every week) it recalls our trips to Spain and the food we enjoyed there, relaxing with a few glasses of vino over a series of orders of tapas.  Talking to David about life in Spain is an added bonus.  

4 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

There are already some excellent pasta places in Ajijic, but Tabarka's fish and seafood menu is unique.  I was a bit worried when they added the Italian items.  Sometimes restaurants try to be All Things to All People and end up losing their focus and their core customers.  I hope Tabarka  remains true to its Spanish seafood heritage. 

When we eat there (and we do every week) it recalls our trips to Spain and the food we enjoyed there, relaxing with a few glasses of vino over a series of orders of tapas.  Talking to David about life in Spain is an added bonus.  

I don't know if this is the case or not, but sometimes if a restaurant doesn't have enough constant business, they may have to add items to the menu for more customers.

15 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Please share the name of at least one outstanding Italian restaurant in Ajijic.  Preferably one that uses real Italian pasta. 

I love the core menu at Tabarka and eat there at least once a week.  However, not everybody we bring there likes fish, so the variety was welcome and didn't hurt the basic offerings a bit.   I live very nearby and pass the place on a daily and nightly basis on my way to the Carreterra.  Their business has clearly increased since they moved from their former location.  IMHO, the cook who added the Italian specialties probably secured a better position......and I'd just like to know where.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Please share the name of at least one outstanding Italian restaurant in Ajijic.  Preferably one that uses real Italian pasta. 

I love the core menu at Tabarka and eat there at least once a week.  However, not everybody we bring there likes fish, so the variety was welcome and didn't hurt the basic offerings a bit.   I live very nearby and pass the place on a daily and nightly basis on my way to the Carreterra.  Their business has clearly increased since they moved from their former location.  IMHO, the cook who added the Italian specialties probably secured a better position......and I'd just like to know where.

Alex's and Pasta Trente.  Outside Ajijic is Quattro Mori, but we haven't been in awhile since it's a long walk for us since they moved to SAT.  Quatto Mori's pappardelle was the best pasta back in the day.   

Not to be snarky, but I wouldn't bring guests to Tabarka who didn't like fish.  Nor would I take guests to Brunos who didn't like beef.  Or to M&J's Pizza who didn't....oh you know what I mean.  

29 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Alex's and Pasta Trente.  

Not to be snarky, but I wouldn't bring guests to Tabarka who didn't like fish.  Nor would I take guests to Brunos who didn't like beef.  Or to M&J's Pizza who didn't....oh you know what I mean.  

Alex's?  Clearly, you and I have a different notion of excellent, but that's a matter of taste.   When you bring several guests; one who just LOVES fish and wants the best....but the other does not....it is nice to have a really special alternative.  Tabarka's chicken is good; but not everyone likes chicken.

About snarky:  I think any statement implying that the person person being addressed lacks common sense is, by definition, snarky...to say the least.  Try civility.  It tends to make differing opinions more palatable.

BTW:  does anyone have the answer to my original question, or did it get lost along the way?

Archived