Chapala.com Webboard

Breakfast at Poutine Place

jslt

If enough people consider the price fair and buy poutine at that price than JSLT will be a pricing genius and a success. If not enough people feel it is fair and/or figure his other meals must also be overpriced than he will not succeed. Since he has been successful enough to move to a better location he may be onto something. Snowbirds and new residents look at restaurant pricing differently than we old timers do, so he may be on to something.

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Or a dish not drowned in Balsamic vinegar, or full of goat cheese or pecans. All those things seem to make it "gourmet" and they're the 3 things I can't stand. Hard to find any salad in any nice restaurant that doesn't have one or more of those ingredients these days.

And even if they are charging basically the same price for poutine here as in Canada at a sit-down restaurant, it is still overpriced, since labor costs, and basic food ingredients, as well as utilities are less expensive here. I seriously doubt, for instance, that anyone is paying their wait or kitchen staff in Mexico, even in an ex-pat area, the equivalent of Canadian minimum wage. More like a half day or more shift here for what Canadian staff earn (excluding tips) in an hour.

Yes indeed re: labour cost comparison and don't get me started on  the dairy costs in Canada thanks to the ridiculous supply management for dairy farmers,the majority being in Quebec and Ontario. Liter of milk, Mexico:15.74p,Canada:31.51p

Archived