Chapala.com Webboard

Breakfast at Poutine Place

jslt

Hey, your restaurant, you can set your own prices. But 80p for poutine? Not for me. Seriously: less expensive in Ontario or Quebec in Cdn $ at pretty much any chip wagon. It's potatoes and gravy with a little cheese. It's not a fancy meal. In fact, it's an invention of the common man. I can go up beside Salvadore's and get a good-size shrimp cocktail or salad for that price.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:47 PM, Bookworm said:

i see fish * chips picture but no listing on menu.  Menu = very artistic but also very very hard to read.  could we please get the details in an easily understandable format?  Thanks .....para llavar?

Working for a non-profit arts organization in Canada, I used to have to explain to the artists who volunteered to make posters for an event that the purpose of a poster was not only to attract attention, but that the printing had to be quite legible, because if people couldn't actually read where and when the event was taking place, they wouldn't come. Some of these artists did beautiful work, but the printing was so artsy it was impossible to decipher.

It's poutine. I reiterate: fries and gravy. A side-of-the-road quick stop. Fries and gravy. (Edit: with cheese.) $5.30 Cdn? Not a chance.

Oh, did I forget to mention? We are in Mexico. Other dollars are not the currency of Mexico. So let's just say $140 Baht. Or $165,000 Romanian Lei.

Let's go further. The "cost of living" index in Mexico vs. other countries. This is just not a real argument. Or if you want to go for the "staying in business" argument, then drop the poutine, and serve Tabarka's lasagna and gnocchi (Edit: with cheese.) (with a salad) for $95. That's a meal worth paying for.

Apologies for the sarcasm. There are just so many things wrong with the previous comment.

31 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's poutine. I reiterate: fries and gravy. A side-of-the-road quick stop. Fries and gravy. (Edit: with cheese.) $5.30 Cdn? Not a chance.

Oh, did I forget to mention? We are in Mexico. Other dollars are not the currency of Mexico. So let's just say $140 Baht. Or $165,000 Romanian Lei.

Let's go further. The "cost of living" index in Mexico vs. other countries. This is just not a real argument. Or if you want to go for the "staying in business" argument, then drop the poutine, and serve Tabarka's lasagna and gnocchi (Edit: with cheese.) (with a salad) for $95. That's a meal worth paying for.

Apologies for the sarcasm. There are just so many things wrong with the previous comment.

A cute little dessert place opened up in the Mexican town where I live a few years ago. Their desserts looked great, but they were charging 80 pesos for ONE SLICE of pie. They lasted about 2 months. I can actually eat cheaper (and food quality more consistent) in many good places in Canada than in the ex-pat enclaves of Mexico.

Well, we loved Poutine Place in their old location (roughly across from SuperLake) and we are looking forward to visiting them in their new location. Loved their poutine and I'm not Canadian! And their fish and chips were superb!

I had the poutine there a couple of times, and it was decent. I tried to school them a little bit: eg, put the cheese on before the gravy, so it melts. The price was a little high, but considering there wasn't much choice of place for poutine, it was worth a try. Going upscale with a price for a snack is too much for me.

Hey, for them what wants, go for it. Just my opinion as a Canadian and a life-long chip-wagon officianado.

Mudgirl, in agreement with your comment.

13 hours ago, miraval52 said:

The Poutine is quite large, and comes with a separate lovely salad. A decent price for what you get.

Sounds like a good deal & fair price for a sit down "meal" served with a salad.      Large poutine only at Ottawa area chip wagons is now about $6.50 to $7 CDN or more.....and, one really can't compare "to go" pricing with a nice, sit down, served location.

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Lol, I can. It's fries and gravy.

And we just had a medium poutine at a chip wagon on the Quebec side across from Ottawa in July for $2.99, more than enough for any one person, even a big guy like me.

Yeah, but did you have a lake view on the side?;)

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

"Gourmet".

And is there a dish anywhere that hasn't been been upscaled for a higher price?

Or a dish not drowned in Balsamic vinegar, or full of goat cheese or pecans. All those things seem to make it "gourmet" and they're the 3 things I can't stand. Hard to find any salad in any nice restaurant that doesn't have one or more of those ingredients these days.

And even if they are charging basically the same price for poutine here as in Canada at a sit-down restaurant, it is still overpriced, since labor costs, and basic food ingredients, as well as utilities are less expensive here. I seriously doubt, for instance, that anyone is paying their wait or kitchen staff in Mexico, even in an ex-pat area, the equivalent of Canadian minimum wage. More like a half day or more shift here for what Canadian staff earn (excluding tips) in an hour.

With mudgirl again on this one, too. I'm glad she brought it up before someone commented on the basic poutine price on that menu. Different standard of living and costs, by far.

Anyway, apologies to jslt if he is reading all this; like I said, his place, his prices. Not for me, though.

Archived