Chapala.com Webboard

Mexicans near the bottom in confidence in government

Mainecoons

While the results do not surprise me, the level of disillusionment was a bit of a shock.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/10/16/many-unhappy-with-current-political-system/

This goes beyond any explanations of the cultural heritage of the Spanish mordida system as a driver of corruption IMO.  One thing is for certain, the Mexicans don't seem to have the illusions about their government that some expats do.

Your link says:

"The most common types of crime and anti-social behavior witnessed or heard by respondents in their own neighborhoods were alcohol consumption in the street (65%)..."

Chapala has the number one insecurity as a given. 

I suggest you all correspond with the people who published these studies and see how far you get.  :D

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Your link says:

"The most common types of crime and anti-social behavior witnessed or heard by respondents in their own neighborhoods were alcohol consumption in the street (65%)..."

Chapala has the number one insecurity as a given. 

And now for the rest of the story.  This BTW is from the second link, something you didn't note.

The most common types of crime and anti-social behavior witnessed or heard by respondents in their own neighborhoods were alcohol consumption in the street (65%), theft and assaults (64.9%), vandalism of homes or businesses (50.9%), the sale or consumption of drugs (43.1%), gang-related activity (34.8%) and gun shots (33.8%).

Missed the part about thefts and assaults?  Nice job of selective quoting there.  :D

You can always tell here when some can't really offer a substantive comment.  The personal crap starts.  :)

1 minute ago, Mainecoons said:

Missed the part about thefts and assaults?  Nice job of selective quoting there.  :D

You can always tell here when some can't really offer a substantive comment.  The personal crap starts.  :)

It was in fact selective. The point is that we merrily drink in the streets of Chapala and others find it the number one insecurity in Mexico.

You are also projecting again, sir.

There is no significant statistical difference between the drunkeness citation and the number for far more serious  theft and assault.  By leaving that out you attempted to convey a markedly different impression of what that second citation cites.  All the numbers in the full quote are pretty ugly.

Not projecting.  You made it political and several others made it personal.  None of you have anything of substance to offer.  I deleted the worst of the personal comments.  Those two can thank me for not leaving stuff up that reflects so poorly on them.

The work speaks for itself.  As I noted, the Mexicans seem to have a much better handle on reality than some of the expats here.  The posts on this thread seem to bear this out. 

My thread, my call to close it.  Go read the links and draw your own conclusions.

Archived