Chapala.com Webboard

I am reposting this from a Mexican PRo-animal group. After the dog poisonings and the fact that the poisoner was a government employee who stills works for the local government, maybe this is the next step in getting rid of strays and street dogs to become a Pueblo Mágico.

I don't know any details, but I think we have to be alert and report any official looking van picking up dogs .

10/18/17, 19:46:10:

Dear colleagues, before posting this in Face Book I want to inform you that this afternoon, when I went out to walk my dogs a merchant from Ajijic told me that they are coming from the Kennel of Guadalajara to take dogs from here, I commented that they come in an official vehicle and they took like 10! We all know what it means, they're going to kill them! I ask for answers from whoever it is since they do not come alone without an invitation, I know that we have problems with some dogs but this nobody was told and it is not right!

Sounds like an absolute load of doggie-poo to me. Seriously, who would do that? What "Kennel of Guadalajara"? Not only that, a kennel is a respite for dogs, not a dog-catching outfit. And even if there was such a place, why would they come lakeside? And to what purpose anyway? And the implication is that they are poisoning dogs in this way, too? Why bother? Our poisoners use poison, thrown around willy-nilly. Now we are supposed to believe there are gangs in vans who's purpose is to kill dogs. Geez. So many things wrong with that post. Trolling is getting ridiculous with this kind of stuff.

All of the gringos that I know keep their dogs inside and wouldn't notice if street dogs were missing.  This report is from several people who have been missing their dogs (10 already) and reports of an official vehicle catching dogs has been made. Chapala doesn't have an official dog-catcher or euthanasia facility, so it is not so far-fetched to believe that Guadalajara, which rounds up and kills many dogs a month, would lend theirs to Chapala.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

First I want proof, some kind of evidence, that this actually happens in Guadalajara. I am getting in touch with the Guad Reporter. I don't believe it for a second.

Please do your own research.

http://www.eltesorodelajumentud.info/perrsind.html

3500 dogs and cats are picked up a month in Guadalajara and 500 are 'sacrificed'. 

37 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

Please do your own research.

http://www.eltesorodelajumentud.info/perrsind.html 3500 dogs and cats are picked up a month in Guadalajara and 500 are 'sacrificed'. 

I am doing my own research; no need to be snarky. I have one response from the newspaper, who is now looking into it. And just like Democrat and Republican "blogs", I don't buy those numbers in that link at all. Until recently, most Mexicans believed that animals have no souls, therefore are not protected by the church, and therefore can be willfully mistreated anytime. I just don't believe they would spend any serious money or time doing what that page purports. In particular, why the hell would they bother coming out here? As many have pointed out, how can you tell which dogs are abandoned, and which ones are just loose or allowed to roam free? Without a system of dog licenses, whatever they do would have to be considered illegal.

What you call the Kennel of Guadalajara is a private Association Protectora de Animales) that can house only 120 dogs. And they keep them indefinitely. Can you imagine the facilities required to euthanize 3,500 dogs every six months? Seriously. The Municipal Animal Health Center, the "official" place, says they capture them on the highways, not neighbourhoods or malecons, etc etc.

But let's go back to my original point: I can't tell you yet what happens in Guad, but I call BS on them sending vans here to capture and kill dogs.

(Plus, I took a look at the main page of that blog... it is kind of oddball...)

From Milenio (well-respected newspaper) from 2013 it states 200 a month are killed in Zapopan

http://m.milenio.com/region/mes-animales-sacrificados-Zapopan_0_209379106.html

From Universidad de Guadalajara tv more than 21,000 killed in the last 3 years. They are kept by animal control for 72 hours, then killed.

http://udgtv.com/noticias/jalisco/en-tres-anos-sacrifican-mas-de-21-mil-perros-en-guadalajara-y-zapopan/amp/

There was a group of 6-8 dogs that hung out on the Ajijic plaza until recently. Suddenly they disappeared. If you were a morning patron of Black & White Coffee, it was very dramatic. Several people were concerned and tried to find out where the dogs were taken. Someone said "to the Ranch", but further inquiries did not find them there. Attempts were made to talk to Chuni, but he is in Costa Rica with a cultural exchange group...A neighbor on the plaza found their small white poodle-ish dog missing too.  People would like some real information...

"People would like some real information."

It sounds as though that is what ComputerGuy is attempting to do -- for which he should be thanked. I appreciate his being willing to put in the time and effort to find out what is happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Gov't officials in Mexico have ordered killing, which has included poisoning of local dogs and cats (total over 50) in the past year.

Many will never recover that loss, and have suffered loss in circumstances where their pets were either not off leash or were an hours walking from the public on trails.  That is how extensive the gov't worker was in his distribution.  Yes that person is still employed by the gov't.

This reflects poorly on the human species, as does humor, when life has been lost.  

Not a fan of animal rights or welfare?  Then hold your hand or take your energy to other lesser threads. Respect the grief and suffering that many continue to endure in their grief of who was their family member.  

Separation of "interests" is what led to different web topic areas.  As much as animal topics are not welcome on the Ajijic thread, consider that humor of this dire situation is not welcome here.  Yet, many will do what humans do so well when in anonymity, proudly show their lesser human side.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:22 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

There was a group of 6-8 dogs that hung out on the Ajijic plaza until recently. Suddenly they disappeared. 

My wife and I visited Ajijic in June. The dogs around the plaza were an inextricable, and not inconsiderable, part of the ambiance. We watched them patiently line up at the corner butcher shop for their morning scraps. We watched them demurely approach the afternoon crowd, soliciting attention and/or food. And we watched them saunter off in the evenings, back towards their homes or other places of respite. I don't know what is going on down there now. I just hope someone isn't trying to solve a problem that doesn't  exist by liquidating such a valuable component of the local atmosphere. Those good boys and girls deserve (and were achieving) better.

Archived