Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone know where you can get bagels around here?

suegarn

14 hours ago, More Liana said:

There are actually two kinds of boiled and baked bagels: NYC bagels--which those are, in the photo I posted upthread--and Montreal bagels, which are thinner rounds of dough with bigger holes.  I'm a NYC bagel person, and my best friend is a Montreal bagel person.  You can imagine the battles.  Bagel wars!
Montreal-Bagel-Vs.-New-York.jpg

Really? Here  are Toronto bagels from this 3rd generation bakery.

bagel.jpg

There may be a different option. Have the bagel come to you, not having to go get there. Like I told Cactus Jack, one of the important things here is having connections. You (I am talking to the group) need to see if there is someone  regularly making the trip from the City to the Lakeside and is willing to pickup and deliver bagels. let's say, on a weekly or so basis. 

Maybe someone who goes occasionally could still  bring some.  They can be frozen and thawed.  Granted, there is nothing like fresh, but frozen and warmed up can turn out pretty good as a second option when you don't have a nearby source.

7 hours ago, ned small said:

Really? Here  are Toronto bagels from this 3rd generation bakery.

bagel.jpg

Those are NYC-style bagels made in Toronto.  Montreal bagels are different and aren't usually available outside Montreal.  I know people who love Montreal bagels to the point that they travel annually from Austin, Texas to Montreal to bring a supply home.  The friend I mention in my post about NYC vs Montreal bagels lives in Toronto and goes to Montreal when she can to buy Montreal bagels.  NYC-style bagels are available in a lot of places--even here in Mexico City and of course in Toronto.  Montreal bagels aren't. 

She can go to Ottawa, too: Montreal style bagels are all you'll find there, and it is a lot closer than T.O. In fact, they are so popular, a leading grocery chain called LOBLAW put fresh bagel bakeries in almost every store for years.

Or she can stay in Toronto and go to the Bagel House and many other places in that city for both styles which were probably developed around Kensington Market before they hit Montreal and New York. And if you're a Westerner,you could probably get both in Winterpeg. Contrary to popular belief, not everything Jewish was invented in New York or Montreal. Montreal smoked meat was invented there though.

bagel house toronto.jpg

Archived