Chapala.com Webboard

Some Questions from a Family Interested in Moving to Ajijiic

Hello,

This is our first post to the Webboard. We live in Puebla and are interested in relocating to Ajijic or surrounding area. Please can you help us with a few questions?

1. Are there any bus lines that run from Puebla to Ajijic? If not, could you please tell me what bus lines and routes we must take?
  2. We have a son and we want to know if there is a "Primaria Pública" in Ajijic? If so, could you please tell me the name and if possible a contact name/number?
  3. For our son, we were wondering if there is a Scout group in Ajijic? He already participates here in Puebla Scouts. 
  4. We are planning to come visit Ajijic during the Christmas vacation. We were wondering if you could recommend a good "Hotel Familiar", very clean, with pool, and reasonably priced?

Thank you very much for your time and advice. 

The Michael Victor Family

No buses direct to puebla. You need to go to new bus station in guadalajara. Best by taxi from here. Uber here now.

Only one bus from ajijic to gdl every hour. More frequent from chapala but they go to old bus station.need taxi from there or get off at el alamo for local bus to new one. Or taxi it.

Etn. primera plus. odm . Etc i am sure will run to puebla.

Not heard of any scouts round hear but there could be.

Hotels a bit of a lottery. Not too many with pools. Casa del sol maybe. Real de chapala.depends on your budget.

Others will help on the remaining things hopefully.

You can go online for ETN bus line and look for bus originating in Puebla with destination Guadalajara. May have a stop in DF... don't know. At the Guadalajara bus station your best bet is a taxi down to Ajijic... probably 450 pesos. Confirm price before leaving.

Christmas will be high season so you may better go online and look/reserve in the next month. Use Google to find hotel w/pool. The two mentioned above (actually Danza del Sol) and also Hotel Montecarlo in Chapala has a pool.

We always took the bus from Guadalajara to chapala then a taxi to Ajijic.  Ajijic is more expensive to live and crowded, than San Antonio and Riberas del pilar.  We loved Hotel Perico, great for kids lots of space, cheap, pool, walking trail.  If you dont have a car they will take you to walmart where you can get the bus.  

13 hours ago, sputnik said:

We always took the bus from Guadalajara to chapala then a taxi to Ajijic. 

BUT, if arriving Guadalajara from elsewhere, the bus will come into the 'new' station. Buses down to Chapala leave from the 'old' station. That is why I said take a taxi to Ajijic after arriving in Guadalajara.

I'm curious as to why you would relocate from a real Mexican city like Puebla to a tourist town like this.  I would think Puebla would offer a lot more to your kids for educations and activities than here.  In any case, if you want to come at that time you definitely need to find something and book early.

You may be really bored raising a family in Ajijic. 

Things to also consider: 

-healthcare. (I don't have any experience with free healthcare in Mexico but if you have an emergency you need to drive to Guadalajara to be seen in a private hospital) 

-things to do (most places cater to retirees and come 7-8pm almost everything is closed) 

-cost of living (housing seems expensive here, however hired help and eating out is cheaper than in big Mexican cities)

-schools (I have heard of mixed reviews of one private school in rancho del Oro) If international schools are important to you bigger cities have more options. However they are much more expensive. 

-socializing (unless you already have friends here you may start to feel a bit lonely. People are usually very nice but finding people in your demographic that you may have things in common with is hard) 

-roads: despite having so much to offer our infrastructure seems to be getting worse. Yes we are less than an hour away from the airport but the road to get there is in awful shape. If you need to drive at night there is almost no visibility. The roads in the village are just dirt roads with some rocks and the sidewalks are not maintained. Also garbage pick up seems to be an issue for some neighbourhoods. Maybe this will change if the politicians in charge start having some pride in their town but it may be magnana or in a decade or maybe never. 

with that saying I do hope more younger people with families  move to Ajijic but I just wanted to give you my perspective without sugar coating things. 

Agree with Barcelonaman. However, I would strongly recommend an in-depth appraisal of schools available in the area... Alternatively, international boarding schools are available out of the area but expensive...

4 hours ago, rvanparys said:

Alternatively, international boarding schools are available out of the area but expensive...

There is a local international school, Instituto International off of the libramiento. 4330254_orig.png

36 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

There is a local international school, Instituto International off of the libramiento. rea

I "think " I read that place had closed or reduced a number of  its programs ,or maybe another school close by. There are a couple on the same side..or not 

Our godson and older sister go to Terranova and the parents are ecstatic! They have half a day in english and half in spanish. This is our first year with a pool, but, currently with the cover and three hours of solar the temp is 99. I am not aware of scouts, but, there are many youth activities. Sports, bugle corp., computer clubs, dance, music, art, and others an old fogie like me are unaware of.

Terra Nova is a very good school and the kids can go from an early age there. The kids I know all speak fluent Englsh and they are all Mexicans so the programs must be good or the kids are good with languages. One of the kids is my cleaning lady´s kid.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:19 AM, Mainecoons said:

I'm curious as to why you would relocate from a real Mexican city like Puebla to a tourist town like this.  I would think Puebla would offer a lot more to your kids for educations and activities than here.  In any case, if you want to come at that time you definitely need to find something and book early.

Puebla is lovely, but it is not a place that has many opportunities for Americans to find work. I am almost at retirement age, but I have a young Mexican wife and young son, so I need to work. Also, we are not wealthy, and I have not been back to the states in more than 6 years. So, I really miss socializing with Americans. Which reminds me of another factor: Puebla has no American/English speaking community (or club/organization) as do other Mexican cities. I speak Spanish, but still it has been very difficult for us to find friends here. 

On 10/17/2017 at 9:56 AM, sputnik said:

We always took the bus from Guadalajara to chapala then a taxi to Ajijic.  Ajijic is more expensive to live and crowded, than San Antonio and Riberas del pilar.  We loved Hotel Perico, great for kids lots of space, cheap, pool, walking trail.  If you dont have a car they will take you to walmart where you can get the bus.  

Thanks for the great info. Please tell us in what city is Hotel Perico? 

Archived