Chapala.com Webboard

Toilet paper flushing

ccw

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

We use the Kirkland brand from Costco which is safe for septic systems.  I tested a square in water to see what it did and it fell apart very quickly.

Why not have bidets installed and use those (like the Europeans)? That will eliminate the problem of toilet paper jams and the necessity to discuss this issue at such length.

May I take you back to the Middle East, some 57 years ago, to my home in a little seaside town near Izmir?  One of the bathrooms had a very traditional toilet: A one meter square of ceramic with a hole in the center and two raised foot-pads.  You squated and did your thing, then used the water faucet low on the wall to wash your hand.  In the other bathroom, we were fortunate to have a western style toilet; quite unusual, but it was a brand new house.  Such modern toilets were not common when you traveled or visited other homes, so it was wise to practice in the traditional toilet once in a while.

Any more complaints?

25 minutes ago, FlyFree said:

Why not have bidets installed and use those (like the Europeans)? That will eliminate the problem of toilet paper jams and the necessity to discuss this issue at such length.

Pretty sure you have to wipe yourself dry after using a bidet... with something, and I ain't never seen no hand-towels hanging beside a bidet. :P And what length are we discussing: two, or three sheets at a time?

23 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

May I take you back to the Middle East, some 57 years ago, to my home in a little seaside town near Izmir?  One of the bathrooms had a very traditional toilet: A one meter square of ceramic with a hole in the center and two raised foot-pads.  You squated and did your thing, then used the water faucet low on the wall to wash your hand.  In the other bathroom, we were fortunate to have a western style toilet; quite unusual, but it was a brand new house.  Such modern toilets were not common when you traveled or visited other homes, so it was wise to practice in the traditional toilet once in a while.

Any more complaints?

Yes. Welcome to now.

3 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

We use the Kirkland brand from Costco which is safe for septic systems.  I tested a square in water to see what it did and it fell apart very quickly.

Ah, but it is not the TP capabilities that are important here; it is the infrastructure. If you have seen dissolved toilet paper in a pipe, together with dish soap and cooking greases, you have seen that it meshes into huge globs of impenetrable stuff, because it doesn't dissolve; it merely breaks up.

Ode to the Septic Tank...

Though things that are flushed, are often hush hushed,

It's important that you should know

In the city, you're not, when you sit on the pot

Lest you block what is known as "the flow".

Foreign things at the junction, often cause a malfunction,

If the contents aren't bodily made.

And while you seek relief, you'll cause nothing but grief...

And the management's lengthy tirade.

44 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Lest you block what is known as "the flow".

Foreign things at the junction, often cause a malfunction,

A house I had years ago in the States had a tree root problem. Every 3 or so years the roots would work in the pipe connections, looking for water. It was a very healthy tree. The person who did the work said that pipes should be cleaned every 5 to 10 years to help avoid problems on your end.

Archived