Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian butter tarts

Derek Turford

Hi,  my name is Derek and im seventeen. I'm about to put a stand in the Monday food market , in the Sunrise restaurant. I will start by selling Canadian butter tarts, which i like very much, but have not seen here at Lakeside. I am researching other dishes to prepare, and any suggestions or observations that you may have would be appreciated. ;)

1 hour ago, gimpychimp said:

Perogies would be good!  I think a lot of people like them but they can't be bought anywhere.  You would have top keep them frozen of course.  Another Canadian item is Nanaimo Bars. Good luck Derek!

Yes to Perogies !!  And good luck.

Thanks everybody for your encouragement and advice. Today I surveyed a few passers by and sugar free is popular;  I was thinking probably sugar free brownies, and the perogies sound very good. I would like to appeal to both American and Canadian pallets, so I appreciate your suggestions. Many thanks!!!!

Keep it simple Derek and within what you can control. No point having to explain to other people why a "supplier" of another product didn't come through on a particular week.

Love all the possibilities so far. Butter tarts, Nanaimo bars, Perogies.... please, can you do Date Squares too? And, if the "desserts" were done in smaller than normal portions for the holiday season cocktail circuit?

Damn, I may have to buy a chest freezer... and I just drooled on my keyboard.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Derek, good luck. I'm Canadian and I love butter tarts. I didn't know they were a Canadian "thing", though, like sugar pie and tortiere pie, or lumberjack shirts... doesn't matter: I want some.

Yes butter tarts and Nanaimo bars are Canadian and my friends wife makes them both and they let me have some when she makes them. Lucky me.

On October 15, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Derek Turford said:

Hi,  my name is Derek and im seventeen. I'm about to put a stand in the Monday food market , in the Sunrise restaurant. I will start by selling Canadian butter tarts, which i like very much, but have not seen here at Lakeside. I am researching other dishes to prepare, and any suggestions or observations that you may have would be appreciated. ;)

Can't wait to experience home style Canadian butter tarts again.....that's something I miss since moving down here.  That, and Nanaimo bars!  All we need now is for someone to make great Montreal-style bagels!   

I think Derek is asking for ideas of foods that don't require freshness[read hot} at point of purchase and can be taken to vend at markets . Products like poutine need to be totally fresh.. There is a restaurant that makes pierogi but unfortunately only one kind,potato which is the least desirable and cheapest to make but not cheap from that restaurant in Ajijic. The Ukrainians of northeast central Alberta are experts. They aren't expensive at Edmonton Safeway either and go well with garlic kielbasa and sauerkraut if you put sour cream,chopped green onion, and bacon chips over the pierogi. the Ukrainian pronunciation is pierre-o-hee.

Archived