Chapala.com Webboard

Crackdown on Golf Carts

From this weekend's GR

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/50765-traffic-cops-launch-crackdown-on-golf-carts

Driving golf carts on the main highway and adjacent ciclovías (cycling lanes) is strictly prohibited. Traveling along interior village streets is only permitted for licensed drivers whose carts bear current motorcycle plates.

Chapala-based officers from the Secretaria de Movildad (SeMov) recently ordered the towing of two unlicensed golf carts spotted in the vicinity of Ajijic.  The owners were subject to traffic fines and service fees to recuperate their carts.

Officials at the Chapala branch of the state tax office report that they are no longer issuing license tags for golf carts which are not contemplated in Jalisco’s traffic laws. Owners who have been able to obtain plates elsewhere in Jalisco or out of state may escape the long arm of the law by driving only on back streets.

That will certainly be difficult for some elderly people here where it is their only mode of transportation. On the other hand, friends and I at a patio bar at the Plaza watched a lady trying to park and hit both the car in front and then back into the car behind. The space had to be 25 feet long and then she gave up and drove on looking for a bigger spot. Hence, maybe the need for the crackdown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A crackdown on motor cycles might be more productive. I've never had a problem with a golf cart but motorcycles many times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Officials at the Chapala branch of the state tax office report that they are no longer issuing license tags for golf carts which are not contemplated in Jalisco’s traffic laws. Owners who have been able to obtain plates elsewhere in Jalisco or out of state may escape the long arm of the law by driving only on back streets.

I think paragraph suggest you cannot license the cart so  catch 22..or I am wrong 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prudent said:

I have never lived in a place where people used golf carts off the course. Are they becoming common in US towns and cities?

2 minutes ago, monkey grease said:

They are allowed in some cities in Ohio and Georgia, as long as they have all the necessary safety equipment on them like lights, brakes and so on.

https://www.10tv.com/article/golf-carts-will-be-allowed-ohio-roadways-starting-2017

Stay on the back streets, drive carefully and cheerfully, wave pedestrians across with a smile..............and make sure you have some small bills easily accessible, Christmas isn't that far away (at least according to Costco). 

• Like 2

im not keen on these things on the streets, but most do let cars past and give respect apart from a couple of nutters ive seen over the years. so long as they have plates and insurance  and keep to the back streets . i reckon theres more important things that need looking at. car and truck annual checkups, to avoid more accidents like the one at walmart last week,

The golf carts driven by seniors are not as bad as the ATVs raced by 8, 10 and older children through the streets of La Floresta and San Antonio each week end. I have seen them with a little girl driving with 5 or 6 passengers. I just saw a motor scooter with what appeared to be a 10 yr old driving with 3 of his friends. Surely it is more important to stop these unlicensed unregistered and uninsured children who are a danger to themselves and anyone walking or driving, Of course then there are the "adults" who are flying over the back streets as well who are also a danger to themselves and anyone sharing the same space. Drinking does go along with all this fun. I have seen them on mud and damp lawns spinning around, leaving the mess for the residents to clean up on Monday.

I am very glad I did not invest in a golf cart however as I guess they will now be useless. I do know some for whom it is the only means of transportation. I have never seen an accident involving one, so do not know how much danger is involved when they are driving on side streets. I think the person unable to park in a large space is not common, but sad.

• Like 1

Tránsito cop with mustache and large belly caught in camera shaking down a 74 year old woman for 5000 for driving a golf cart. When she said she didn't have it he told her to get into his truck to go to the bank. The two witnesses told her that it was kidnapping and not to get in. His name is Camarena.

IMG_2970.PNG

• Thanks 2

Last season, with no warning whatsoever, multiple police forces and transitos swooped into Sayulita one day and confiscated every golf cart they could find. They took them away from tourists who had just rented them, as well as private owners. They had a couple of giant flatbeds all ready. As golf carts are used extensively here, and there are several rental outfits, the rumor was that the taxi union was the instigator. Don't know if that was true or not. Word traveled fast and residents were getting them off the street and into their garages or yards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That would be an ideal time-killer. These four-wheelers seem to have come back to life lately in Riberas. AND at least one of them is using an un-muffled engine, sounding like a plane coming in for a landing, as he zooms by my place at deathly speeds. What's even worse is they do this with little kids sitting on their laps.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Taaffe said:

Tránsito cop with mustache and large belly caught in camera shaking down a 74 year old woman for 5000 for driving a golf cart. When she said she didn't have it he told her to get into his truck to go to the bank. The two witnesses told her that it was kidnapping and not to get in. His name is Camarena.

IMG_2970.PNG

Been shaking down folks for as long as I can remember.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 5:07 PM, lakeside7 said:

I think paragraph suggest you cannot license the cart so  catch 22..or I am wrong 

You can license them in Joco, at least years ago you could.