Chapala.com Webboard

advice for TV service

Would like to know where is Izzi  As if in these parts would have digital cable..

I had Mexican Dish as well some years back..not enough English..Had Dish as well continual upgrades of  fees and dish size so on..

Seems to me streaming is way to go..for us non techies a techie can write down directions easy enough..or not.LOL. 

I am just sitting tight and suffering with basic cable for now..too disgusted to even deal with it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have ExpressVPN installed on my router so when I got an email from DirectTV Now yesterday offering a 7 day free trial I took it. The trial gives you the 60 channel package and I installed the app on my Roku 3 and am very impressed with the quality of the stream. I'm using a 10 year old Polaroid HDMI TV that just won't give up so I can buy a new one, LOL. It did give up about 8 months ago but our condo handyman said no problema and had it back in about 3 days. His TV guy diagnosed it with a burned out bulb (yeah, it's that old) and apparently when one bulb goes out they all do like Christmas tree lights used to (if you remember that you're getting up there). Anyway, I'm real pleased with the picture and for $35/Mo. if I keep it it has most of the channels I want including ESPN 1 and 2.  You can go up to many more channels if you want to. If anyone is interested, here is a link that shows what channels are on which packages:  https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff?ref=EDSCDNCDB00GOO7QP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPvanuiQ1wIVAV6GCh2gzANPEAAYASAAEgJyEPD_BwE#the-full-lineup

Now for the bad:  There is some archived material on some of the channels such as Nat Geo, etc. but no DVR. I'm guessing if Direct signs up enough people that feature will be added in the future as most of the young people I know don't watch live TV except for sports. The biggest downer is that in order to receive the local networks and sports regional packages your 'device" must actually be in your billing address area. So for us, the CC billing address is in Houston. The VPN has lots of different cities to choose from but Houston isn't one of them. I have written to them to see if they have any plans for a server in the 4th largest city in the US. I generally use NYC as my server as it almost never gets blocked and when it does Express has the problem fixed in a day or less. The other solution would be to look for a mail forwarding service there and change the address of my CC but that's above and beyond what I want to do. So for now I will keep checking the stream and compare. Last night I watched a football game on ESPN and not one glitch. To compare I switched over to USTV Now and their ESPN stream went down 5 times in maybe 20 minutes for anywhere between 15 seconds and a minute. Another bad is that the Roku 3 is the oldest model that the app will install on. I have 2 others, the XS and LT connected to other TV's and the Direct app is too sophisticated for them.  The good news is Amazon has the Roku Express on sale for $24.99 right now and that will handle it. If any new good or bad is encountered I will update this.

There are a few free apps that have hundreds of live us and uk channels news,  sport, documentaries. Entertainment channels. Fox. Cnn. History. Discovery. Abc. Fox sports. Bein sports.sky sports. Bt sports. Nbc. Espn.Etc.etc.

Also thousands of latest movies and tv shows.free. not kodi  and is very easy to use. Normally three clicks of your remote.

Best use an android box with 2gb ram available from mercadolibre , ebay or amazon.cost appx 1200 pesos.

Will also work on any android smartphone and amazon fire.

I can install if you wish. Pm me.

12 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

There are a few free apps that have hundreds of live us and uk channels news,  sport, documentaries. Entertainment channels. Fox. Cnn. History. Discovery. Abc. Fox sports. Bein sports.sky sports. Bt sports. Nbc. Espn.Etc.etc.

Ok, what are the names of these few apps?

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

To compare I switched over to USTV Now and their ESPN stream went down 5 times in maybe 20 minutes for anywhere between 15 seconds and a minute. 

I had the same problem with USTV Now last night until I turned off the WiFi on three other devices (cell, PC, tablet) in house. Then I watched recorded CBS and ESPN shows all night without any stoppage. I have a Roku 3 connected with WiFi.

Sometimes with WiFi we are our own worst enemy. We put demands on the equipment that it can not handle. High demand on cheaper equipment. If you really want test the download of streaming, take WiFi out the configuration and hard wire the connections.

The Direct TV Now sounds interesting once they add DVR.

3 hours ago, Tiny said:

I had the same problem with USTV Now last night until I turned off the WiFi on three other devices (cell, PC, tablet) in house. Then I watched recorded CBS and ESPN shows all night without any stoppage. I have a Roku 3 connected with WiFi.

Sometimes with WiFi we are our own worst enemy. We put demands on the equipment that it can not handle. High demand on cheaper equipment. If you really want test the download of streaming, take WiFi out the configuration and hard wire the connections.

The Direct TV Now sounds interesting once they add DVR.

Ask and you shall receive! I just was reading this on Tech Hive:

"

According to a report from the Dallas News Stephens said AT&T is looking toward new money-making opportunities for DIRECTV NOW in 2018. He went on to say they pan to add pay-per-view options for music and movies and new features, such as a Cloud DVR.

Currently, the cloud DVR is in closed beta testing and at the time it was announced fall 2017 was the target date for a public rollout. There have been some hints they will still hit that roll out and it is possible they still will.

Just yesterday DIRECTV NOW sent out an email to subscribers with an updated bill that included a line for “True Cloud DVR.” AT&T later in the day sent a follow-up email apologizing for the mistake and letting subscribers know the DIRECTV NOW DVR is still in beta not ready for the public. Yet it is clear they are updating their system to be ready for the DVR roll out. It is very possible Stephens may have miss spoken during the call and only meant that the pay-per-view options are coming in 2018. For now, we will have to wait and see.

The other interesting thing here is the addition of movie rentals and music rentals through DIRECTV NOW. This is something Sling TV has done for some time and by all reports has been very successful for them. Now it looks like AT&T has similar plans for their live TV streaming service."

I also have a Roku connected via ethernet on another TV and have been having the same problem with it on any live TV, including something as obscure as Animal Planet (they have a fun series on building ultra cool swimming pools). Recorded shows fare better but not great.

Here's some more news about Roku from "Variety":

"In a major twist, Roku is looking to start streaming videos on devices made or controlled by competitors like Apple and Google, Variety has learned from three sources with knowledge of the company’s plans. Roku’s first foray into streaming on third-party hardware will likely involve mobile devices, according to one of those sources.

A company spokesperson declined to comment when contacted for this report Wednesday.

The move could further accelerate Roku’s efforts to transition from a hardware-revenue-based to a services-based business model — a transition that has been in progress for years. To consumers, the company is still best known as a streaming hardware manufacturer. But Roku’s business has evolved in recent years, as it also licensed its operating system to TV manufacturers, and began to focus more on advertising revenues.

Now, it plans to also stream some content on devices that don’t run its operating system, with mobile being a likely first step. Key to Roku’s expansion into mobile video is going to be the company’s existing mobile app, which has already been downloaded tens of millions of times on iOS and Android. The app’s current primary function is remote control, as it allows owners of Roku streaming devices and Roku-powered TVs to control these devices directly from their phones.

In fact, the app can’t currently be operated if there is not a Roku device available on the same Wifi network. This could change soon, as Roku is looking to integrate video playback directly into its mobile app. A first step is likely going to be the integration of the Roku Channel, an ad-supported channel that the company launched last month.

The Roku Channel currently offers free, ad-supported access to several hundred movies from major studios like Lionsgate, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Sony Pictures and Warner Bros. as well as smaller publishers like American Classics, Fandor, FilmRise, Nosey, OVGuide, Popcornflix, Vidmark, and YuYu. However, Roku has been asking publishers to also grant the company the rights to stream their titles on mobile devices, according to a source familiar with these stipulations.

Roku may eventually go even further and incorporate additional content channels into its mobile app. This could either be in the form of channels the company owns and operates, or even by allowing publishers who have their own channels on Roku devices to also make those channels available via Roku’s mobile apps."

46 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Ask and you shall receive! I just was reading this on Tech Hive:

"

According to a report from the Dallas News Stephens said AT&T is looking toward new money-making opportunities for DIRECTV NOW in 2018. He went on to say they pan to add pay-per-view options for music and movies and new features, such as a Cloud DVR.

Currently, the cloud DVR is in closed beta testing and at the time it was announced fall 2017 was the target date for a public rollout. There have been some hints they will still hit that roll out and it is possible they still will.

Just yesterday DIRECTV NOW sent out an email to subscribers with an updated bill that included a line for “True Cloud DVR.” AT&T later in the day sent a follow-up email apologizing for the mistake and letting subscribers know the DIRECTV NOW DVR is still in beta not ready for the public. Yet it is clear they are updating their system to be ready for the DVR roll out. It is very possible Stephens may have miss spoken during the call and only meant that the pay-per-view options are coming in 2018. For now, we will have to wait and see.

The other interesting thing here is the addition of movie rentals and music rentals through DIRECTV NOW. This is something Sling TV has done for some time and by all reports has been very successful for them. Now it looks like AT&T has similar plans for their live TV streaming service."

I also have a Roku connected via ethernet on another TV and have been having the same problem with it on any live TV, including something as obscure as Animal Planet (they have a fun series on building ultra cool swimming pools). Recorded shows fare better but not great.

My luck is that the  new DVR feature will be US only with a VPN detector. hahaha

3 minutes ago, Tiny said:

My luck is that the  new DVR feature will be US only with a VPN detector. hahaha

It's all US only, yeah you sure need a VPN for this and for me ExpressVPN has meant opening a door I never thought I could open.

Well I got lost many posts back. 

Another cable guy showed today, as it had not been marked down that one had already come and I had cancelled digital service and returned box, so on..

He tried calling and seeing if any boxes around, was told no..

We spoke about Izzi and he said oh yes, better company but later for this area.   So I asked later as in how much time..READY.. a year or two as will need all new wiring etc..

I am watching spanish tv now and well needless to say other than netflix movies I won't be watching much TV until I get this resolved. 

My son says he will help, ( he knows all this stuff), but you ever try to get a young adult nailed down..hahahaha

4 hours ago, Tiny said:

I also use a VPN and have run into a couple of sites that didn't allow access because the VPN was turned on.  It may be a matter of time before more sites disallow access.

If you are denied access to a site because of your VPN that means you are using a crummy VPN. Done correctly, any site you contact should not be aware of it. Although, the streaming video providers are trying their best and just today Hulu blocked me but as soon as I switched to another server location I was back in. ExpressVPN costs more than some but they seem to be constantly staying ahead of the game. Hotspot Shield, that I had used for a couple of years, honestly admitted they were unable (or unwilling) to hide me from Hulu. Sometimes you get what you pay for (but not always!).

44 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Although, the streaming video providers are trying their best and just today Hulu blocked me but as soon as I switched to another server location I was back in. 

Until they discover the new server. hahaha 

44 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Until they discover the new server. hahaha 

Duh, ya think?  The idea is to keep changing the actual address so that it makes the Hulus of the world spend so much time and money trying to track things down that they choose not to invest too many resources in doing so. The content owners are always screaming at them to crack down but on the other hand Hulu wants the customer and in reality they could care less where they are. Think of it as ants in your house. How much time and money are you going to spend to kill the last 5 ants that you know are probably there? Take the low hanging fruit (the crummy VPNs) and brag to CBS, etc. that you are really safeguarding their material. If the CIA was trying to track down a traitor then they could throw unlimited resources and without a doubt put an end to it. (Wait, what am I saying, the CIA?). Actually they're probably worse than Hulu, hahaha.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

If you are denied access to a site because of your VPN that means you are using a crummy VPN.

Since you were denied access to Hulu, does that mean that you use a crummy VPN? hahaha

I use Private Internet Access VPN which also has a high rating, according to CNet.

Much as we judge people or companies we do business with: It's not whether they make mistakes, it's how they handle things when they do. If CNet says they are good they probably are. When you get denied access to a site is it usually fixed within a day? Express has over 20 US locations with servers so if one has been "discovered" there is usually at least one that has not been. It does take a  little time which is irritating if you are trying to watch something. I only chose ExpressVPN because they were rated #1 in almost every article that came up in my Google search. It's not that I'm wise about this stuff, cause I'm not.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in need of another Telecable SD digital receiver. After tomorrow's holiday I'll make the call and/or go into the office to check on it. If no receivers are available then I'll probably cancel the TV portion of my Telecable account (retaining the Internet hoping the Ilox venture succeeds) and switch to Sky HD. Sky and Telecable have similar programming but the Sky HD receivers and PVRs are outstanding, at least when comparing them to Telecable. Sky receivers actually support HDMI connections. 

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

I'm in need of another Telecable SD digital receiver. After tomorrow's holiday I'll make the call and/or go into the office to check on it. If no receivers are available then I'll probably cancel the TV portion of my Telecable account (retaining the Internet hoping the Ilox venture succeeds) and switch to Sky HD. Sky and Telecable have similar programming but the Sky HD receivers and PVRs are outstanding, at least when comparing them to Telecable. Sky receivers actually support HDMI connections. 

To have Telecable internet you must have at least basic TV cable. You cannot have internet alone without TV.

I spoke to Telecable on the call center line and got a little clarification although it consisted of a lot of no sé's.

According to them the reason they are not providing additional receivers or new TV service is that Telecable is changing their platform using a "new" technology. She started to try to sell the new service by rattling off all the new programming that will be available. After asking when? several times I finally got the last no sé and a "probaby 2018" response. Not January but rather a generic 2018 guess.

I'm going to stop by to see if either of the girls in Riberas or people in Chapala can shed any further light on what this new platform is and in what decade it might appear.

You do have to pay a minimal amount in the Telecable bill if you just have Internet. You can get SD channels without a receiver so they charge you whether or not you actually connect the cable to a TV.

I talked to the two young ladies at Telcel today. They were, as always very polite, and said that they had no new information and did not know when there would be new digital receivers or when or if they would be offering faster internet service.

The US networks were on the Telecable SD feed, never on digital. My guess is they were siphoned from the Dish Network New York Conus brodacast having subscribed until busted many years ago.

The lady on the phone seemed convinced something was up with Telecable's TV service. Nothing was mentioned about Internet. It is curious that the Telecable web site has changed completely with almost no information available. More curious is that if you change locations, let's say to PV, the screen changes to Izzi. Previously one could look at packages, channels, devices and prices.

Telecable/Izzi is up to something but it's a big secret kept even from employees. Brilliant marketing move.

Their troubleshooting and service makes us want the "old Telecable" provider back..IZZI is 2 steps below worthless. Please inform one of the previous posters that Izzi does not CURRENTLY provide the boxes required for their DIGITAL service...The mystery of what is coming from Izzi continues...

Archived