Chapala.com Webboard

advice for TV service

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like you, I was unimpressed with Roku. I went to Dish TV with the expanded package, and it covers most of the news and sports I want to watch. I have not experienced very many satellite outages, even during our downpours. For those few events I can't get through Dish, I use the website VIPbox.me. It takes some trial and error, but eventually you can stream games without any ads in the middle of the screen.

Hey nothernewbie , where did they give up service, what part of town did they turn off? I just know that it still works in Western Ajijic above Las Salvias. We even have a few channels in HD.

Digital Telecable includes Fox news, BBC, CNN, CNNI, plus many other channels which when you change your SAP (secondary Audio Program) settings are in English.  What they do not have, any network stations from either the US or Canada.

EDIT: I did some checking. Telecable still has digital cable service to the same areas. It's just that they do not have enough bandwidth for any more digital customers.

I know when I try their internet service it really slows down once the kids get home from school or during vacation time.

If you like sports programming and also want Fox News, I would suggest you consider streaming fubo. If for some reason you don't care to use Roku to do so you can also use Amazon Fire stick or Apple TV. Big10 Network, more soccer than you can shake a stick at, FS1 and 2, etc. You'll need a VPN but with Expressvpn on our router my biggest problem is which game to watch. CNN, MSNBC History, Nat Geo, Travel, A&E,  NBCSN, CBSSN, NBA TV, NFL net, Golf ch, PAC 12, HGTV, fyi, Hallmark, and many more.  So far, very few streaming issues and i usually have 7-10 mb down.

https://www.fubo.tv/

22 hours ago, johanson said:

Hey nothernewbie , where did they give up service, what part of town did they turn off? I just know that it still works in Western Ajijic above Las Salvias. We even have a few channels in HD.

Digital Telecable includes Fox news, BBC, CNN, CNNI, plus many other channels which when you change your SAP (secondary Audio Program) settings are in English.  What they do not have, any network stations from either the US or Canada.

EDIT: I did some checking. Telecable still has digital cable service to the same areas. It's just that they do not have enough bandwidth for any more digital customers.

I know when I try their internet service it really slows down once the kids get home from school or during vacation time.

Will have to check further. They cut my wires although I have been a long time customer. No advance notice or ANY notice to date other then a Mexican friend who used to work there calling to find what's up.

Norhernewbie, I should have added that the above information is what I found out 6 months to a year ago. The only thing I checked recently was whether they could provide me with faster internet service, and they said no. I only assumed that they are continuing to provide digital TV service everywhere, just not allowing added customers. I shall check again today to ensure what I posted above is still correct.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Norhernewbie, I should have added that the above information is what I found out 6 months to a year ago. The only thing I checked recently was whether they could provide me with faster internet service, and they said no. I only assumed that they are continuing to provide digital TV service everywhere, just not allowing added customers. I shall check again today to ensure what I posted above is still correct.

Thanks for the clarification.

I went to the Telecable office this morning and was shocked at what I learned about digital TV. As you may have noticed the receivers are very large and for that matter rather old. Mine has a sticker on it showing that it was purchased used from a US cable provider, Comcast.

When I asked if they were going to cancel digital TV, the young ladies said that all they have been told is that there are no more digital receivers available at this time and if mine fails, that they do not have any replacement receivers and that I will not be able to get digital TV anymore.

I asked, are you getting more receivers in the future. They said they did not know. I then asked, is the company going to cancel digital TV lakeside.  They said they did not know.

So now that IZZI has purchased Telecable, things are even more confusing.

Not certain which Telecable office you visited, but I have found the young ladies in Riberas to be unhelpful in providing useful information.  I have come to rely instead on having a friend visit or phone the office in Chapala, which has proven to be much more reliable - for now that is.

Interesting discussion.

I don't know where Telecable got their Motorola HD receivers but they are ancient. There is no HDMI output but it does offer DVI. When was the last time you saw DVI? I have a 15 year old TV with that setup but DVI died quickly when the first iteration of HDMI was introduced. I have to use component video with the 5 cables to connect to my TV. The HD DVR hard drive is really small too. 

I have Sky HD installed at my house at the beach. It's a high tech DVR with a massive hard drive. The problem there is that the Sky installers (3 of them) were morons and had no clue about how to hook it up.

You can schedule a recording of TV shows using a Sky app on your phone, assuming the receiver is connected to the Internet. 

I'm starting to think the future of TV reception is streaming over the internet rather than cable or satellite. I don't have a crystal ball (like CG was supposed to have according to one newbie ;)), so just MO. But, if correct I can understand the reluctance to sink a bunch of money in the equivalent of buggy whips and contracting blacksmiths. Of course there also does not seem to be any rush to upgrade much of Mexico's woeful internet as many prospective new residents have lamented. Hard to work remotely or stream video with the poor internet in so many locations.

13 hours ago, johanson said:

I went to the Telecable office this morning and was shocked at what I learned about digital TV. As you may have noticed the receivers are very large and for that matter rather old. Mine has a sticker on it showing that it was purchased used from a US cable provider, Comcast.

When I asked if they were going to cancel digital TV, the young ladies said that all they have been told is that there are no more digital receivers available at this time and if mine fails, that they do not have any replacement receivers and that I will not be able to get digital TV anymore.

I asked, are you getting more receivers in the future. They said they did not know. I then asked, is the company going to cancel digital TV lakeside.  They said they did not know.

I too, went to Riberas today and was told the same thing. I do have two boxes but my service doesn't work. They are sending someone out and it seems that my service has not been cancelled but woe is me if one of the boxes goes. I am hoping that my Telecable gets back up but will take this as a warning to look elsewhere.

Anyone have anyone to recommend to hire to help in this transition? I know some people out there but everyone has a product to sell. Hoping to find an impartial but knowledgeable person.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:35 AM, johanson said:

Lost ours today for good we were told.  We had two boxes, one failed last July, told to cancel it no more boxes.  After waiting months for tech to come. A week or so ago other box failed. Tech came today..cancel box and digital server no more boxes. Sent my bilingual son to do so..well no boxes until who knows probably never. Only basic cable...

Is this due to Izzy, he was told no and that is not true.  Also told Izzy is not coming here..sorry but good luck! 

I am more than irritated at this point, checking into IPTV...so tired of all this, I now have been thru basic cable, Dish, direct TV, Digital cable and back to basic cable...only good thing I am going to save money!!

I live in San Antonio by the way!

Remember that the Canadian Shaw Direct system gives a reasonable programming package including US and Canadian network stations CNN, BBC, FOX News,. Also US DISH and US DirecTV is also available down here. It's just that not all of the channels reach this far south.

There is also Mexican Sky and Mexican DISH here were some of the stations are in English.

Of course there is also streaming

I am avoiding streaming until the technology catches up with what the people want: easy to use, easy to maintain. Right now, it's too much hassle for the average person. Almost every time I help someone set up a device, I have to go back again and again to clear up problems.

Actually I feel quite sorry for them. They have been there years and have had to put up with very angry customers, especially now that IZZI is the new owner of Telecable and rather than improving things now that IZZI is here. Things seem much worse for many of us.

Archived