Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting Ajijic and Need Internet Access for Video Calls

MrMiller

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My wife and I are visiting Ajijic to explore moving here. I have a virtual business that I continue to run while on the road.

The casita we are renting has what I can tell is pretty typical Internet access, 4-6 Mb/sec download and .5Mb/sec upload. 

Is there an Internet cafe or coffee shop I can use to get slightly better upload speeds so I can run either Skype or Zoom.us video calls? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Marc Miller

Internet speeds and even actual availability around lakeside are a crapshoot. Today maybe fine, tomorrow who knows. Does anyone know if the Telmex office itself has public wifi? If so, that should be one place to try.

Also remember that the LCS (Lake Chapala Society) as internet access. I do not remember whether that the download is much faster than 5 Mb/sec and the upload speed was more than 0.5mb/sec.

You have to be a member to get the password, but they have short memberships for persons visiting for short period.

Many newer members go there, to have coffee, go to the library and to socialize with other new arrivals as well as some of us who have lived here part time for many years.

5 down is more than enough for Skype.

No hands-on experience with Zoom, but they state the speeds are very low:

For 1:1 video calling: 600kbps (up/down) for HQ video and 1.2 Mbps (up/down) for HD video

For group video calling: 600kbps/1.2Mbps (up/down) for HQ video. For gallery view: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down). 

You are correct that 5 down is sufficient for Skype but not needs more than .5 for up.

I am finding that mileage will vary based on location and time of day. 

My wife and I both joined LCS for a month (thought of it as a donation to a fine organization) but the hours are pretty limited.

Sadly when you get 10 down with Telmex we get not 5 but 0.5 up. Sure if I enter my modem, I can see that the speed set therein is 12.6 down by 0.62 up.  And although I live close to the Telmex office and I have the capability to get faster speeds, Telmex simply doesn't have the bandwidth in my neighborhood to provide higher speeds 

If you search under internet speed you'll see a previous post with lot's of info. It's not cheap but I have the same problem. When I come down for the winter I need high-speed for video conferencing for work, and I found a very reliable, very fast solution - but it cost roughly $60CAD/month. My average speed was 25-40 download and 6-12 upload, which worked very well. 

I hope this helps

Cheers

4 hours ago, dboisclair said:

If you search under internet speed you'll see a previous post with lot's of info. It's not cheap but I have the same problem. When I come down for the winter I need high-speed for video conferencing for work, and I found a very reliable, very fast solution - but it cost roughly $60CAD/month. My average speed was 25-40 download and 6-12 upload, which worked very well. 

I hope this helps

Cheers

Can you share how we can access that solution? Sounds substantially better than anything else available here. Thanks!

What I am now using is my AT&T unlimited plan on my iPhone. This does not allow me to tether my Mac but I just held a great Zoom call over my iPhone and recorded it on my laptop as I had it join the call via Wifi without any video. I will check out a different plan next time I come.

Archived