Chapala.com Webboard

Where to go to buy a computer printer

Mainecoons

Proving that Murphy's law works in Mexico, shortly after returning from the U.S. our computer printer gave up the ghost.  Looking for an Epson as they apparently have fewer problems than HP, but not sure where the best place to find is.  Checked Amazon, they won't ship to Mexico.

Suggestions?

Have some new HP printer cartridges for sale, will post below later.

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Proving that Murphy's law works in Mexico, shortly after returning from the U.S. our computer printer gave up the ghost.  Looking for an Epson as they apparently have fewer problems than HP, but not sure where the best place to find is.  Checked Amazon, they won't ship to Mexico.

Suggestions?

Have some new HP printer cartridges for sale, will post below later.

How about Best Buy in GDL > I am definitely getting this model or one close to it. Ink savings alone will pay for itself. its pricey....

https://epson.com/For-Home/Printers/Inkjet/Epson-Expression-ET-2550-EcoTank-All-in-One-Printer/p/C11CE91201

Just now, Mainecoons said:

Looks interesting but we don't print nearly enough to justify using a high volume machine like this.  

I wouldn't look at volume but at the  new ink technology. How much do you expect to pay for ink cartridges over the course of a few years. Its in the numbers. My friend who works for HP doesn't call them ink jet printers.  They use the term ink delivery systems. You pay a low price for the printer and they slam you with the cartridge costs. I dont print much either but I ran the numbers and how many times I buy cartridges, talked to my friend at HP and said that this printer is a steal soon to be copied. Just an FYI.

29 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Buying another inkjet printer is a sign of masochism, get a laser.

Come to the same conclusion, looking for a Brother compact laser.  This model would be perfect:

Black & White Laser Printers

HL-L2315DW

Estimated Street Price: $89.99

Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and 2-Sided Printing
★★★★★

We bought a Samsung laser printer almost 2 years ago from Best Buy Galerias Mall, only prints, nothing else, 2599. pesos. We use it once in awhile. Still printing great, haven't purchased anything else for it, just have original equipment.  With our old HP , we were buying new ink cartridges all the time at 399 pesos per. Glad we aren't doing that anymore. Cheap printers aren't cheap when you have to buy expensive cartridges all the time.

My prefered printer is also by Samsung. They are available on AmazonMX. https://www.amazon.com.mx/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_10?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+laser+printer&sprefix=samsung+la%2Caps%2C230&crid=2ZVJ53PCNVW1L

You do not need to leave your house to get one delivered.

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Haven't used Amazon Mexico.  Do you have to get a second Prime membership to use it?  My Prime U.S. sign in didn't work with it.

Unfortunately, yes.

Note that Soriana and WalMart carry the Samsung laser from time to time; but you know these stores: you can't count on it.

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Haven't used Amazon Mexico.  Do you have to get a second Prime membership to use it?  My Prime U.S. sign in didn't work with it.  That is an excellent buy.

Don't believe you need Prime to order. Try it and see as you can get all the information at that time.

Well, I tried to log on and got the circular tail chase.  First it tells me the password for my account is incorrect, then when I go to the recover password part it tells me it doesn't know the email address.  When I tried to set up a new account it says the account already exists.

Not worth the hassle.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Brother-HL-L2360DW-Impresora-monocromo-conectividad/dp/B00LEA5EJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507642832&sr=8-2&keywords=Impresora+laser+Brother

The above appears to be a more recent model of what you were looking for.

My preferred laser printer has always been HP. They were the first to come out with laser printers and I bought my first one in 1989. It was a Laser III (that's roman numerals for 3). It lasted until 2004. Things change but my current HP laser multifunctional is five years. old. I wanted duplex and wifi but it wasn't available here at that time.

edited to add because of your last post... Time to call a friend who has an account that works in Mexico.

3 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Don't believe you need Prime to order. Try it and see as you can get all the information at that time.

Correct, but the shipping time won't be as good.   MC...don't give up...we use Amazon MX extensively.  They have as good service as Amazon USA.  I had an issue setting up my MXN delivery address so I sent an email (used google translate) and got a fast response and they fixed it for me (did't make me fix it).  

We are also considering a switch to laser.  Do they make laser printers that scan and copy as well?  We find we use the scanner quite a bit (rather than snail mail).  Recommendations for an All In One Laser printer, if they exist?

Exactly. After my HP laser, I had an HP inkjet and gave it away. Awful! Then I had a Brother laser and it broke repeatedly. I put it on the sidewalk in front of my house with a "Gratis" sign on it. Glad to see the back of it.

Bisbee Gal... yes, nearly all manufacturers of laser printers have full multifunctional units as well. I use the scanner frequently (in PDF) to send forms as attachments to e-mails.

6 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I had an HP laser and it lasted for 15 years.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same for their ink jet printers and the reviews on line bear me out.  They have poor reliability.

We are looking for a laser because our HP inkjet (new in May) is such a piece of junk.  

7 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Correct, but the shipping time won't be as good.   MC...don't give up...we use Amazon MX extensively.  They have as good service as Amazon USA.  I had an issue setting up my MXN delivery address so I sent an email (used google translate) and got a fast response and they fixed it for me (did't make me fix it).  

We are also considering a switch to laser.  Do they make laser printers that scan and copy as well?  We find we use the scanner quite a bit (rather than snail mail).  Recommendations for an All In One Laser printer, if they exist?

Well I sent them an email and the site said reply in 5 minutes.  That was a half hour ago.  :)

I bought an Epson L355 on Mercado Libre 3 years ago. (Pay via Oxxo). Yes, it's more money. And yes, you MUST run the COLOR "test pattern" once a week to ensure the nozzles stay unclogged (learned that the hard way). But I do quite a lot of printing, and have yet to refill the black tank  (specs say it does 4,000 black copies before refill) and then it will be simply buying a little bottle of ink to pour into the side tank.  It has been excellent, does great copies, and foolproof. I feel it's definitely worth the extra money. (And yes, we always had HP before).

The added cost of getting a multi-functional laser printer is quite shocking. I prefer using a separate Canon scanner, which is much better quality anyway, and doesn't leave you without one or the other should one or the other break down.

Archived