Chapala.com Webboard

CFE Outages Yesterday and Today

Yesterday our power went out totally and stayed out for almost 10 hours (out at 9AM, back on 6:45PM).  We called CFE several times through out the day, as did neighbors.  We had heard the BOOM of the transformer, 1/2 a block from us and figured it was the source of the problem.  Walking around, it  seemed the outage was limited to a few blocks along the Malecon and Calle Independencia.  On our way out to dinner last night, the CFE truck pulled up to the transformer; we talked to the guys and they said power would be back on in 5 minutes as it was a blown fuse.  We told them we'd been without power since 9AM; they asked, Did you call in the outage?  Duh. 

Early AM today our power phased out during a thunderstorm.  With power cords we have internet, TV and fridge, but most of house is out.  

Anyone have power phase issues this AM in Ajijic Centro?  

Power still in brown-out phase this morning here in eastern Ajijic. Yesterday the power was out in the entire centro until around 11:30am It certainly gets tiresome dealing with these electrical situations. the whole system needs an overhaul,but with the mandate to divest themselves of parts of the energy and communications systems the will of the Mexican government to improve these systems is zero...wish the solar battery was reliable, otherwise solar panels are useless as they cut off just when you need them as to not feed back into a downed grid, ARGH!

Yes I called 071 five times yesterday.  I speak enough Spanish to convey the message and get 'updates' though the boiler-plate response is, estimado luz en cuatro horas.  Though on my third call, the agent said he would email the complaint again to Chapala (that was around 3PM).  

I had no luck on cell with 071, yesterday or today.  Luckily we keep a wired landline phone to plug in to make these calls during outages.  Our phone with cordless handset won't work during outages/  

8 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

West side s.a.t. out since 3.30 am. Must call cfe to report it 071. Think its only in spanish .Somtimes you can connect from your cel othertimes no. Sometimes quick to get through other times impossible.

I have been able to get an English speaking agent when calling 071. The last time the Spanish speaker could tell I was having a little trouble understanding (I do speak Spanish, but they talk SO FAST on the phone) and on his own initiative asked me to hold for a moment while he transferred me to an English speaker.

Don't feel bad!  On Guadalupe Victoria (area) the power went out TWICE in one day - Friday a.m. for no discernible reason - no rain, no wind - the neighbors say it's a bad transformer - or maybe trees on the power lines???  No one seems to know for sure.  It did come back on around 3 hours later.  Then, later that night when there actually was a storm, it went out again!  But ours was back on by 9:30 or so.  Great idea to have an old fashioned analog phone for power outages.  And at the first sign of wind or heavy rain, I start taking the normal precautions because our power goes out around once a month regardless of weather conditions.

I talked to a CFE agent on the phone, just a couple of minutes ago.  Since last night s storm, there are/were 45 outages in the whole lakeside area to deal with. And during the night, there is only a very small emergency crew on stand by.

Here, some part of plaza de Toros, we were out for 12 hours too.  Pretty big storm in this area.

I had called several times.  The first "report" was closed because CFE said problem solved.  Not so.  Got a new report number.

I learnt to be on the ball and to stay on it.  Nobody else had called about this area, so the operator said......   the mentality.... oh ,  someone else will call, and then sometimes in the end nobody will ...  (I have to, since I work out of my home ....  today, I slept A LOT )

Rony

The local (CFE) emergency call out service in this area is totally disgusting, inefficient and   incompetent etc etc. something you would expect living in a 3rd world country.

I just do not understand why the local Politicians, Community Leaders ,who must also be inconvenienced , try and "do something" instead of wring their hands in dis pare and shrugging their shoulders and accept that all your food in the frig and freezer is being spoiled...again and again.

Some of my friends have been without service for 36 hours. The frequency of these "no power' problems is alarming . What if we had a major disaster? 

How many times do the employees go to the same problem and just put on Band Aids and not replace a faulty device or unit? Of course the employees are busy..... fixing the same old problem that should have had a new part the first time.

How can the State encourage outside investment with the  utilities infrastructure having such a poor record. Maybe major manufacturing Plants , Hospitals, Nursing homes, WalMarts etc., have some priority?

Well, if it is any consolation, at least where I live it is a lot better than 10 years ago.  Also, having a generator on hand that can run the water system and fridge is a great backup.  If they ever come up with some really good batteries, I'll probably harness them to my solar system and be capable of running all the basic stuff off line.

If you install solar, think about putting in enough panels to provide at least your base load plus a safety factor.  Later, you can add the battery backup system.

17 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Well, if it is any consolation, at least where I live it is a lot better than 10 years ago.  Also, having a generator on hand that can run the water system and fridge is a great backup.  If they ever come up with some really good batteries, I'll probably harness them to my solar system and be capable of running all the basic stuff off line.

If you install solar, think about putting in enough panels to provide at least your base load plus a safety factor.  Later, you can add the battery backup system.

Frankly I do not think it's a lot better than 10 years ago..maybe for yourself. I think the growth in the area has outgrown the CFE to respond in a timely manner.

More homes,aging Transformers and fuse's, growth from trees that cause wires to touch, the causes go on and on. (Why people are allowed to plant fast growing trees directly under the lines has mystified me)

Your suggestion of having a generator is well taken, BUT that really does not address the PROBLEM.

Perhaps we should start rubbing two flints together because we can not get the automatic lighter to spark on the stove!!!!! 

Sorry for the rant, but its not just a Gringo issue my Mexican friends are just as pi**ed off

10 years ago 071 calls were answered in Chapala. At one point I got so frustrated with not being able to contact anyone after being out for 36 hours, I physically went to the CFE office in Chapala and met with the customer service manager. I found that there was one young lady to answer the phone, and she went home at 6pm. I mentioned that this was somewhat at odds with the advertising on the back of my bill.

A couple of days later I was surprised when the CS manager showed up at my door around 4pm. She asked if she could use my phone, proceeded to dial 071, then handed me the phone, which was answered promptly. She said "see? everything is fine" and produced a letter stating this and asked me to sign it. I showed her the door.

More recently we had been suffering from constant outages. Slight rain would trip the breakers in the local transformer. Usually reset within a few hours, but as soon as the next drop of rain, out it goes again.

Finally we arranged to deliver a letter to the CFE office in Guadalajara documenting the last dozen or so outages, including report numbers, times of outage, report and repair. Within two days there was a substantial team of people climbing all over the poles. They completely replaced the transformer, and we've not had an outage since.

37 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Interesting curmudgeon. We are having same type of problems. Do you have contact details in Guadalajara? Thanks

Unfortunately I don't. The whole thing was orchestrated by my Mexican neighbor, who owns factories in Guadalajara and brought his electrical engineer to attack the problem. I provided the outage data, he typed the  letter and personally delivered it.

Do be aware that they have sent crews from CFE all over Mexico to deal with downed power lines, etc. in areas severely effected by the earthquakes. When I spoke to a CFE agent a week and a half ago as to why they hadn't yet come to cut the coconut fronds that are lying on a major power line outside a property I manage, which I had reported over a month before, and was told "10 days", she told me they were short staffed because of the earthquakes. I didn't get the sense that she was BSing, and in fact my electrician confirmed this.

Archived