Chapala.com Webboard

hotels/B&Bs with good extended stay rates

Your month's cost will be directly related to which month you want. Jan.-Mar. most decent B&B's don't need to offer much if any of a discount. Best to try any that look appealing to you as discounts often are given by the "feel" the owners get from an inquiry, at least that was true of us when we were innkeepers in Ajijic. How not to do it could be summed up in this actual inquiry we once received.

"Hi, I'm Canadian. What is your Senior, Monthly, Canadian rate?"

Reply:  Take the weekly rate times five.

Here's another example to consider:

I replied to an inquiry about availability and price. Gentleman replies with the question "Since I'm coming by myself I assume I can get a discount since you only have to provide one breakfast, right?"  Now breakfast doesn't really cost much to provide, just the labor either yourself or in our case we had a cook. She comes whether we are full or empty so there is no cost savings there. You learn, after a learning curve, that a statement like that is just the tip of the iceberg. Once into their room, there will be request after request for this that and the other thing. So my reply was, "Sorry, we just booked the last room for your dates, you might try xxxxxx". With xxxxx being a place I knew would take anyone at almost any price and then cheerfully deliver exactly what the client had paid for, if you get my drift.

Contrast that with another gentleman who inquired and then sent this response: "Great, I'll take the room. It sounds like just what I was looking for. Your breakfast sounds wonderful (It was!). Let me ask, I'm by myself and I love to eat a big breakfast so is there any chance I might be able to ask for seconds if I'm still a little hungry?" My reply was simple: "You sound like just the type of guest we enjoy. You can have thirds if you want. By the way, let me know what you really enjoy for breakfast and I'll try to see that it's on the menu when you're here."

The point being when you make an inquiry to a B&B you want to word it differently than to a hotel chain. The owners are looking to book amiable people, not problem children.

Before I moved here full time, I enjoyed staying at the Ajijic Suites Hotel. It is 2 blocks west of the Plaza, a great location. I liked that all rooms have some sort of cooking area, from a full kitchen to a sink, microwave and mini-fridge. I enjoyed fixing my own breakfasts and sometimes wanted to eat dinner in. You can negotiate for a reduced rate, altho' one month is not much of an extended stay. Elaine, the owner, has a web site. You can call her Vonage number at 718-775-3830. Usually her rooms are all booked up by now, but I believe she has had some cancellations.

There are 2 "motor court" motels on the Carretera just west of Juarez. The western most one is nice and has a back door opening on Zaragoza. It can be had for under $15/night on Airbnb. 

Archived