Chapala.com Webboard

advice on downloading Netflix needed

Lexy

I have a  Samsung Smart TV. I've Googled what it takes to download Netflix in Mexico.    Looks like I'm going to need help.  Can

anyone recommend a good TV technician? But before I try it, I must know if subtitles come with Netflix programs.

Subtitles are essential to me and my husband because of hearing loss. I welcome your good advice.

Lexy

Not sure how Mexican NetFlix works, but assume it would be the same. NetFlix offers much of its stuff with subtitles. But, you can sign up for free for one week, I believe, to test it out. NetFlix US? Not unless you have a US-purchased TV, or love to fiddle with extra routers. Something I try to avoid, because it requires constant fiddling for those without the technical side of things.

"Netflix allows you to select a preferred language for profiles on your account. Changing the language for your profile will change the language of your Netflix experience. Changing the language for your profile will also change the subtitle and dubbing options you see, putting your preferred language first on available titles.

To choose your preferred language, sign in to Netflix, select Manage Profiles, select any profile, then select your preferred language from the drop-down menu. You can also manage your language preference by selecting the Language option from your Account page.

Please note that you will need to sign out and sign back in to Netflix on your device for this change to go into effect."

Generally speaking, if your Smart TV has a Netflix app you will not need to download anything. On your computer, go to the Netflix website and sign up for a free trial, as CG stated. Turn on the TV and navigate to Netflix, however that is done on your TV. The first screen should ask you to "sign in" to access your account. Do so with the email and password you used on the Netflix site where you signed up. Chances are good you will get a screen that says you need to "authorize" that device. It will show you a "code" such as ABCDEF and direct you to sign in to (usually) something like netfix.com/authorize or similar. Once you enter that code you should get a "Congratulations" or similar on your TV. Then usually, it will help you set up your preferences,watchlist, etc. Easy if you just follow their instructions and don't get frustrated.

Good luck!

It is just faster to establish a Netflix account on your computer, as you have a keyboard.  On the TV, you must use the more tedious method. Then, all you have to enter on the TV is your password.

Thetis, many Netflix Mexico shows do have English closed captions, probably at least half. Any shows that Netflix produces themselves do have English captions, and there is now so much content that there aren’t enough hours in the day to begin to watch even a small portion of it. I find The New York Times ‘Watching’ columns helpful in suggesting shows I would never have thought of, although as the column is directed at Netflix USA subscribers not all are available on Netflix Mexico. Many are however. And you can find excellent shows from many countries around the world. I’ve been watching tv shows and movies from Israel, Iceland and Korea recently. Great fun.

21 hours ago, Lexy said:

Thanks, both of  you. I'll follow instructions and won't get  frustrated--really?

However, if there's a person who does this kind of thing I'd like his or her name. In case I do get frustrated.

lexy

Good luck. Personally I call Mike (Computer guy), before whatever computer, telephone or TV drives me nuts. Then we can both pretend that I understand whatever the heck it is and he just fixes it or sets it up or digs a deep hole in the ground and gives it a proper funeral (when required). Strongly recommend you do the same.

For the non Smart TV people, I have USTVNow and Netflix Mexico on Roku. If we want to watch Netflix US, I use VPN and Netflix on a cell, tablet or PC. Then I use Chromecast to the TV. There may be better ways but this works for us. I have enough of the USTVNow DVR to keep me busy.

Archived