Chapala.com Webboard

Purging Propane Tank

dboisclair

We're bringing down a portable propane BBQ with us this year to use at our rental home. I'm also bringing a 10lb propane tank rather than buying the small green cylinders, which are really expensive.

Two questions;

Will I have any problem finding someplace to fill the propane tank?

My tank is new and needs to be purged prior to the initial filling. Is there a provider in Ajijic/Chapala that can do this or should I have it done before coming down? It's safer to transport as is, so if it can be done in Ajijic I'd prefer to wait.   

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

And they can be filled at the Z gas installation right opposite El Torito etc.. Drive in, drive out. Much easier than it used to be.

The other option (depending on how "portable" you want it to be) is to have it attached directly to your main house propane tank. Also depends on where the main tank is located of course. Just throwing out options for you.

In Canada they usually purge a new tank to rid of the air in the tank,  but when I had a new tank filled at Z gas they just filled it.

You can't get the small green tanks filled anywhere you have to do it yourself. I doubt if you can buy an adapter in Mexico but NOB you can get an adapter to fill the small green tank from the larger 20ib tank.

The easiest thing to do is to buy a new hose which screws  on to the BBQ where the green tank would screw on and the other end screws on to the big (20lb) tank. They cost about $15 bucks in Lowes or Homedepot NOB or Amazon Ebay.

Thanks for all the info. We have an adapter hose to replace the small green cylinders with a regular 10lb tank and buying/filling a tank there makes more sense so final question (and I apologize if it's a stupid question) but are the connections the same? Will an adapter hose purchased in Canada fit a Mexican propane tank? 
Thx

On NOB tanks there are a couple of things that are different and not all gas filling locations know how to deal with them.  First, there is a slot head screw near the handle on the side of the  gas valve.  That should be opened before and while filling the tank with propane.  The gas is heavier than air and as the gas goes in the air rushes out.  When you see/smell gas coming out of the purge hole you close the screw and stop filling the tank.  If you don't do this you will have pressurized air in the tank with whatever gas they had room to put in.  Second, the tanks from NOB all have a very sensitive overfill protection device and when you first use your newly pressurized tank with your grill, you need to open the valve on the tank only about a quarter turn and light the grill.  Once lit, you can open the valve more.  With the new tanks you could cut the hose in two with the gas valve open and the the gas will shut off instantly.  So when the tank thinks that might be the case if you open the valve all the way, it thinks there is an escape and it shuts down.  If you forget this process just remove the hose and let out the gas and then reconnect and try again with the valve only barely open. There is a grill store in Riberas that has all the hoses and any adapters but be careful with getting your tank filled as many places have no clue how to fill tanks properly.   Alan

Archived