Chapala.com Webboard

How to call 800 numbers

Kyle

'I presume you mean an 800 number in the US or Canada. If that is the case Telmex charges for the connection between you and the US border and including sales tax costs you almost 7 pesos per minute.  That is why whenever possible it would be better if you have the $389 or $599 package to phone the local number up there which is for free.

I am up North right now and can't see the special 800 number you are supposed to call. Perhaps someone lakeside can give you the special 800 #s to call from Mexico

I believe it is 001 plus:

Dial 880 if your toll-free number begins with 800. Dial 881 for an 888 number. Dial 882 for an 877 number and dial 883 for all 866 numbers. These codes only apply to calls from Mexico.

It is expensive and what really gripes me is that if I have to call my bank or Amex or whatever, I get put on hold while the minutes build up. And then I get some :() who can't help me, so said :() puts me on hold, even if I explain that I am calling from Mexico and paying per minute.

46 minutes ago, johanson said:

'I presume you mean an 800 number in the US or Canada. If that is the case Telmex charges for the connection between you and the US border and including sales tax costs you almost 7 pesos per minute.  That is why whenever possible it would be better if you have the $389 or $599 package to phone the local number up there which is for free.

I am up North right now and can't see the special 800 number you are supposed to call. Perhaps someone lakeside can give you the special 800 #s to call from Mexico

I have the 389 pkg.  are 800 numbers free on that pkg?

Yes and No.  Yes you can phone a Mexican 800 number for free.  No, you can not phone an 800 number meant for another country for free.

I know. It sounds strange. You can phone the for example Microsoft local Redmond, WA number for free, you know one that perhaps starts with area code 206 for free.

No you can not call the US 800 number meant for the USA for free, that costs almost $7 pesos per minute. And you have to use the special 800 numbers posted above.

I bet Msft has a Mexican office where you could phone a Mexican 800 number and be able to call a Spanish speaking Msft call center meant for Mexico in Mexico, but not the one meant for the US.

2 hours ago, JayBearII said:

I believe it is 001 plus:

Dial 880 if your toll-free number begins with 800. Dial 881 for an 888 number. Dial 882 for an 877 number and dial 883 for all 866 numbers. These codes only apply to calls from Mexico.

It is expensive and what really gripes me is that if I have to call my bank or Amex or whatever, I get put on hold while the minutes build up. And then I get some :() who can't help me, so said :() puts me on hold, even if I explain that I am calling from Mexico and paying per minute.

Often on the back of your credit card there is a real area code and number for calling from outside the USA or Canada. You can even call most of them collect, I don't since I call them on my Telmex plan at a real area code.

Archived