Chapala.com Webboard

Renew Driver's License in Ocotlan

CalGal

The place you go is in the Plaza San Felipe on Avenida Universidad 2000.  This is the main road leading north that takes you up to the interchange with 15D.  Easiest way to get there from Chapala is head toward the airport on Hwy. 23 then exit onto Hwy. 35 towards La Barca.  As you come into Ocotlan, you cross over the bridge (the Rio Santiago) just before you get to the main downtown area.  Keep right on the off ramp and then keep left as you come down off the overpass.  This is Avenida Univerdsidad 2000.  Continue on up this road past the Soriana, Federal Police Station and then in a few more blocks you will see the Plaza San Felipe overhead sign on the right.  Turn off onto a little angle street just before the Plaza and you will find parking along that street in front of the school or if not behind the plaza.  Go in the side door entrance and walk straight ahead and down to the end of the hallway (past the Cinemax).  Enter the Estatal office area and go past the reception desk and up the stairs to the second floor.  From the stairs turn right and go to the end.  You have arrived. 

You do not need to take a driver's test to renew.

• Thanks 1

I can't answer Floradude's question since I am not a resident of Chapala.  I renewed mine a couple of weeks ago in Ocotlan but I am a resident of the Municipality of Poncitlan.  I can't see why they would care because the Ocotlan office is a State level office and not a Municipal one - but the rules can change at any time!!

4 hours ago, Floradude said:

There was a report on Chapala.com many months ago that the office in Ocotlan was no longer taking people from Chapala.  I do not know if this is true and/or still in effect but I mention it so others can weigh in with current info.

People have been reporting for quite awhile that people from Chapala/Jocotepec can't renew in Ocotlan in spite of it being a state thing.

• 1 year later...

Ocotlan is MUCH better than going to Guadalajara! The directions to the office posted earlier for Ocotlan are excellent. Took 10 minutes wait to get the license. Air conditioned room with about 20 chairs. We arrived at 9:30am and finished everything by 12noon. See background info below. 

We are from Baja with Baja MX drivers’ licenses and my husband needed to renew his license with Ajijic address. MX treats Baja as a frontier, and will not honor Baja addresses for Jalisco licenses. He had to take written exam, photo, etc., and driving test. Drivers test was scheduled for 11:30. About 20 people. Everyone gets the same time, 11:30. To take the driving test, drive around the block and park in back of the San Felipe Plaza. Before you get to the motorcycle parking area in back of the theater, on the right side is a government looking building with a rolling metal gate.You may see police cars parked in the lot and other passenger vehicles.  Drive in there, and park close to the building on the right side.

The woman who administers the written test and takes the photos will set up two loare orange road barriers in the parking lot. The driving test is a parallel parking test. If you don’t pass, return in two weeks for another try. Licenses good for 4 years. 

On 9/26/2017 at 11:19 AM, cedros said:

People have been reporting for quite awhile that people from Chapala/Jocotepec can't renew in Ocotlan in spite of it being a state thing.

Several years ago a couple working there were involved in a scam.    The apparent manager would claim your previous license from Guadalajara was fake.   This was reported to the authorities in Guadalajara and the investigation showed it to be directed at gringos from Lakeside. Subsequently the Ocotlan office was closed to Lakeside residents.   It was slso discovered some Lakeside residents had “bought” their licenses in Chapala and some had fake licenses.   

Now it appears from posts to be once again open to extranjeros.