Chapala.com Webboard

Detect Credit Card Skimmer with free app.

cybertramp

Hi,

There are  3 free Credit Card Skimmer apps on the Google Play Store that will detect a Bluetooth signal that quite a few current skimmers use.

The link with information on one of them is:  https://lifehacker.com/this-free-app-can-protect-you-from-hidden-credit-card-s-1818689971

Hopefully it will save you some grief and lost funds.

Frank

This is a free app that has been reviewed by all major tech journals and Forbes Magazine. It merely detects a Bluetooth signal near an ATM which may have been compromised. It is not an RFID reader nor does it require a CC. 

Anyone who has an updated version of Android can see exactly which services and data are accessed and grant or deny permission for same.

I now understand why so many folks are reluctant to post here.

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

... or B) is it a scam to get your card info... ?

Well you walk up to the machine activate the app and see if it is bugged. You turn the app off (take phone out to car if you wish). Use the ATF if it was clean. Actually you don't need an app you can just search for Blue Tooth signal.

15 hours ago, cybertramp said:

I now understand why so many folks are reluctant to post here

First let me say that computers, WiFi, and Bluetooth are my specialty, so I am more interested technically in this kind of information than probably most people. Second, and perhaps more importantly to quell your unhappy response... you DID notice the " tongue in cheek" icon in my statement, didn't you... .

add2Cart, geezer and ComputerGuy are correct with their remarks. Having Bluetooth turned on will display all nearby signals.

The value of this app is that it draws particular attention and alerts to a Bluetooth signal emanating  from the HC-05 module employed by many ATM card skimmers.

ComputerGuy, I did notice your "tongue in cheek" icon in your statement. Nevertheless, it had the unfortunate result of introducing  the perception of possible credit card fraud with this app.

I too am very familiar with Computers, WiFi and Bluetooth. I was a troubleshooter on the U.S. Navy's first shipboard computers. I subsequently troubleshot everything from PCs to large IBM mainframes before going into management.

My wife, Sharon, and I are coming to Lakeside this coming October 21st. I would be delighted to meet you during our stay as we seem to have a lot in common. We also look forward to meeting and getting to know many of the boards participants.

Have a good day.

Frank

I appreciate the information very much, Frank.  As you will find out, there's also quite a tendency for a few here to offer gratuitous comments about this board and other posters.  This, unfortunately, is not unique to this board but is a common characteristic of all of them.  It seems that some use the anonymity afforded by the internet to sit behind their keyboards and make rude remarks.  You will find other local boards that don't discourage it but rest assured that is not the case here.

In point of fact, CG is quite expert in his field and we have several others who are very expert as well, for example Intercasa and Sonia.  You will find out fairly quickly who knows their stuff and are very generous in sharing it.  Welcome to this board and we look forward to having you as a neighbor.

Archived