Most recent Mexico Earthquakes

ibarra

Mexico has had: (M1.5 or greater)

• 10 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
  • 60 earthquakes in the past 7 days
  • 310 earthquakes in the past 30 days
  • 1,731 earthquakes in the past 365 days

https://earthquaketrack.com/p/mexico/recent

As you all know, I live in Mexico City.  Compared to many, many people, my experience was nothing.  On the other hand, the earthquake started at 1:14PM and the first two pictures show part of  my living room at about 1:20PM on September 19th.  

Those are floor-to-ceiling antique sabino wood bookcases that cover approximately 15 feet of wall.  They're back on their feet again and bolted to the wall, thanks to a dear friend who sent four workers to my home to help me with so much that I could not have done on my own.  In addition to the bookcases, a very large and extremely heavy wooden room divider smashed to the floor.  Eight huge plate-glass windows exploded in my home.  The workers also removed all the glass--pieces from 3 feet long to slivers--that covered everything in the house.  

Most of my collection of antique Mexican pottery was crushed.  For who knows what reason, those candlesticks, the talavera bowl, and the lamp you see in pictures #1 and #2 didn't move, and no pictures jumped off the walls.  In the third picture, everything on top of the small bookcase crashed to the floor but the case itself didn't move--but all the DVDs slid out onto the floor.  The drawers opened by themselves, as did all the closets in the house, banging and crashing.  The building itself slapped and banged against the building next door.  The quake threw me out of my desk chair onto the floor.  I believed that the building would collapse on top of us residents.  

I re-shelved the the books--picture 3.  The tray on top of the bookcases is wood and didn't break, although it smashed to the floor.  The Canadian goose is a canvas decoy that crashed to the floor and ripped a little.  All of this is just 'stuff', but it is an indication of the power of the quake in a stable, well-built building from the 1950s.

I am grateful that my three cats and I are alive.  

Earthquake 9-19-2017 1.jpg

Earthquake 2a 9-19-2017.jpg

Bookshelves 22 Sept 2017 1a.jpg

Chapala Sunrise Rotary has connected with Mexico City Rotary and will be sending a truck to them next week . Supplies are being collected at Manix restaurant on Ocampo in Ajijic. If you want to help this could be an easy way. Water, paper products, canned goods that don't need to be cooked, and blankets.

Archived