Chapala.com Webboard

Landlord Access

Roy

Our Landlord has the property that we rent on the market.  Twice now in the past week he has called and said that they would be by to show the property within the hour, today he called and said he would be by in 5 minutes.  Does he not have to give more notice than that?  I thought I had read somewhere, sometime, that 24 hours was reasonable. 

Did you know the owner was going to sell the house when you signed the lease? Does your lease have a specific end date or does a sale terminate it?

It is far better to negociate some sort of compensation for your inconvenience than taking a hard line approach.

In a perfect world a tenant that is booted from a lease prior to termination has rights for compensation just as a tenant that bolts from a lease owes the landlord payment until the house is re-leased. If the house is for sale you need to make the best choice for yourself knowing where this story is going to end. 

Get out now or get out later. 

Angus - he's looking for anyone that has $'s

Alan - I also thought 24 hours was the norm for access

John - no idea that the home was for sale and wouldn't have signed if that clause had of been part of the lease document; no the lease does not have a specific end date, actually its in perpetuity although I believe, at one time, no lease can be longer than 10 years.

Time to move on, bad timing though as the snowbirds will be landing soon!  

Thanks to all for your input.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:28 PM, Roy said:

Angus - he's looking for anyone that has $'s

Alan - I also thought 24 hours was the norm for access

John - no idea that the home was for sale and wouldn't have signed if that clause had of been part of the lease document; no the lease does not have a specific end date, actually its in perpetuity although I believe, at one time, no lease can be longer than 10 years.

Time to move on, bad timing though as the snowbirds will be landing soon!  

Thanks to all for your input.

Hard lesson to learn, but I personally have never seen a lease without an end date.  

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

Hard lesson to learn, but I personally have never seen a lease without an end date.  

What is a 'Month-To-Month Tenancy'

A month-to-month tenancy is a type of rental agreement. Month-to-month tenancy is based upon the idea that the lease is renewed at the end of each month. If the renter decides to leave at the end of the month, then he/she/they may do so without breaking the lease.

Archived