Chapala.com Webboard

HP is blocking third-party ink again

ComputerGuy

If you get refills for your HP printer (and living in Mexico, who doesn't), Hewlett-Packard --for the second time-- is sending down firmware updates to block their use. On some models, you will get an error message stating that the cartridge is damaged.

This is one of the reasons I turn off ALL Windows updates when I can, except for Java and Flash (both still essential for viewing many things on the Web). If your printer is working, why would you need updates; I mean, what can a printer update possibly provide, unless it starts printing real money? HP has been taken to task before for this kind of behaviour; here's hoping they will be again.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/14/hp-pushes-third-party-ink-blocking-printer-firmware-update-again/

I have a HP Deskjet 1510 all in one. I also refilled our cartridges at Costco 2Xs. What I have to do to print is turn the printer on. Take out both cartridges to cancel the 2 side by side blinking lights on the bottom of the buttons on the printer. Carefully reinstall them, the black cartridge first. Don´t turn off the printer when doing this. Then go into the control panel of the printer and deactivate HP cartridge protection by toggling from actívate back to deactivate even if it is checked in the deactivate mode when I first go in there and then hit save. Then  print the proof page and then I can print anything. I have to do this everytime I want to use the printer. If I don´t it won´t print. Both cartridges have the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark when I check the ink levels in the control panel all of the time. If others have HP printers not on the list of firmware updates in the above link try this and see if you can get it to print. It took me several hours of playing around to figure this out and I am a retired Electronic/Video Engineer.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Just a tad facile, though. What if you already own a printer from HP: are you going to just dump it? No, better to turn off updates, or at least wait until the thing dies.

You could pitch the HP printer and for a couple of $$$$ HP carts you can buy a canon and never whine again about ink prices - it's therapeutic. I'm not anti-HP, I have 4 HP PC's and I love the HP monitor I'm sitting in from of, but the printer scam is just that and unless you want to solve the problem the easy way, don't whine. And - facile? - I think not, it doesn't ignore the complexity of the problem, it simplifies it and eliminates it.

Let me explain my "position". I refuse to be held hostage by companies, here's an example: Years ago as a salesman one of my silver microfilm products was Agra-Gevaert from Germany, a great film, easily comparable to Kodak, the standard. WalMart Corporate used Bell & Howell cameras and I sold them my film. I got a call to answer a problem, I immediately went to Bentonville Arkansas, and if you've never been to Bentonville, you have to go there on purpose, it's not "on the way" to anywhere. I met with the customer and he explained that they were running out of film before 100' (supposedly) according to the cameras. Of course the B&H technician said it was the cheap foreign film, that we only put 95' in a roll. I knew AGFA put 110' in a roll to accommodate leader/trailer lengths. I smiled and reached into my case, pulled one out fresh box, opened it and took it out - being original silver film meant it was destroyed - the customer looked a bit surprised. I stepped outside his cubical which had a tile floor with 12"X12" squares, and cast the role down the isle rolling out 16MM film as it traveled - people were looking out of their cubes to see what was happening. I said "well, the tiles are 12", do you want to count them and see if there's 100, or more? He laughed and said no (problem solved) and I packed my case, shook hands and we walked to the front door leaving 100' of film laying on the floor. It simply exposed the B&H technicians were tinker with the film footage counters on the camera.

I understand your position, you've become known as the "go to" guy, and that's good as long as you're solving problems, but, your convoluted solution only puts a bandaid on the problem, it doesn't cure the problem - mine does.

The point being, don't allow the MFG to dictate your life, you're the customer, act like it, your money is the only "lever" you have, take it somewhere else.

Great story.

"Convoluted"? If you think my solution is convoluted, there is a helluva lot you haven't figured out yet. Your solution is to turf a perfectly good piece of gear, adding to the landfill and detracting from the pocketbook.

All I wanted to do was inform some people, and here you are sh***ing on things again. Why do I bother? Because fortunately there are more good people on this board than know-it-alls.

You don't have to know it all to have some clear thinking on NOT paying through an orifice for the inkjet scam. Set the printer out front, it will disappear in a few minutes, not the landfill, it's an education process, you're trying to tell people to do it the hard way, I'm giving an alternative that has long term benefit$. Why do I bother? - I hate to see people shell out the cash and put a ring in their nose buying an HP printer. About a month ago a friend asked if I wanted a brand new still in the box rather high end HP printer/scanner whatever. He bought it and decided not to use it, set it on the shelf a year ago and got tired of looking at the box - take a guess at what my answer was? - you got it, even free it's way too expensive for me.

We have two very knowledgeable persons here beginning to disagree with each other with words getting stronger and stronger.

I am afraid where this is heading. And I don't want to have to take stronger action. So relax. I have learned much from both of you and let's let it for ever stay that way  Frozen for ever

Archived