Chapala.com Webboard

New Resource for Newcomers

I would like to announce an additional resource to help newcomers transition into the Lake Chapala area.  Lake Chapala Resource Academy is proud to offer a half-day workshop about buying, renting, and building in this area.  This event is about learning – not sales.

*Expat Living Workshop - Housing in Lakeside

Learn about renting, buying, and building before you commit.

September 28, 2017  ~  9:00 AM – 1:00 PM  ~  LCS Sala building

·        Knowledge from a home inspector, property manager, real estate agent, and architect builder

·        Advice and wisdom from a panel of Lake Chapala expats and

·        Support a charity you select.

To learn more about this workshop and the local charities please visit

www.lakechapalaresourceacademy.org

*For educational purposes - No sales

Good question - the website gives no indication as to who these folks are. (Owners, presenters etc) Have to assume it's a for profit business which is Not in itself a problem but transparency is important. -as more & more newcomers flood  in these kind of 'services' are popping up daily. Buyer beware

Their website is very sketchy, not one name of a person.  Links for maps are to other sites (incl. a realtor site, Access Lake Chapala).  Their wording on donations is that any "profits go to local charity."  That's a lot of wiggle-room.  

1,000 pesos seems high for a confab.  

Thank you moderator for finding a home for this announcement.  To reply to Xena - Yes there is not sales.  This is for education.  And no ALL proceeds don't go to those charities.  All profits which means I have to pay for the food, drinks, venue, etc. I hope that is okay that I also help support local businesses.

7 hours ago, LLLnMX said:

Thank you moderator for finding a home for this announcement.  To reply to Xena - Yes there is not sales.  This is for education.  And no ALL proceeds don't go to those charities.  All profits which means I have to pay for the food, drinks, venue, etc. I hope that is okay that I also help support local businesses.

Thank you for clarifying. I did a quick scan of your web site and missed the word "profits" preceding "will be donated." Thought you were being extremely generous! From your last sentence it sounds as though you ascribed ill intent in my question. I assure you that I had none. 

Xena - I'm sorry about the misunderstanding.  No ill intent directed back.  

Tomorrow I'll post on the website the agenda along with the names of the presenters.  I will also, maybe not by tomorrow, add something about my background; however, since I am not doing any of the teaching it is less important - but I can understand why people would want to know.    

Good comments and good learnings for me.  As requested here is additional information on the expert panel for the Housing Workshop. 

Lake Chapala Resource Academy is proud to announce our Lakeside housing experts for the upcoming Expat Living Workshop. 

On Thursday, September 28th at Lake Chapala Society, Brad, Jorge, Mark, and Roberto will remove their professional hats and don their professor hats to teach 30 new Lakeside residents about renting, buying, and building in the Lakeside area.

As the founder and Dean of Lake Chapala Resource Academy, I would like to publically recognize and thank these four professionals for joining forces with me to educate expats and help raise money for three of our local charities.  

(In order of appearance)

Brad Grieves, founder of Ajijic Home Inspections, will teach about systems, structures, and security in a Lakeside casa. 

Jorge Torres, Rental Manager for Hernandez Realty Group will teach about finding the right rental in the right location. 

Mark Rome is a real estate agent for Ajijic Real Estate and will guide us through the Lakeside way of buying a house or property.

Roberto Millan is owner and architect for Roberto Millan Arquitecto.  He will share how he and his team transform a dream into the reality of a new Lakeside home. 

TO LEARN MORE about these professionals and our selected charities, please go to:  https://www.lakechapalaresourceacademy.org/

Here is a message straight from the Dean of Lake Chapala Resource Academy.  I hope it serves the purpose and generates interest by new people in town looking for a different type of resource.   

"Hola.  My name is Larry L. Looker and I am the founder and Dean of Lake Chapala Resource Academy.  My wife and I retired in October 2013 and moved to Chapala on December 30, 2013.  We are both permanent residents who now call Mexico and the Lake Chapala area our home.

My thirty year career in corporate training and development was incredibly rewarding. Not only ..."

Read entire post:  https://www.lakechapalaresourceacademy.org/latest-news/from-the-dean-of-lake-chapala-resource-academy/

• 2 weeks later...

No mention is made on the website but you must be an LCS member to sign up for these programs as they are being held during LCS' normal

business hours.  Upcoming programs for the Lake Chapala  Resource Academy are Oct 12 and  19th. The LCS website does note this requirement.

Are you sure Ellie? I am not an expert on the subject, but I go to a weekly computer club event which meets Friday mornings when the LCS ii open and, and both members and non members are allowed. However the free internet access password is only given out to members.

There are often events at the LCS where both members and nonmembers come during the normal open (operating) hours of the LCS.

LCS in partnership with Lake Chapala Resource Academy presents
From the LCS homepage.....

INTRODUCTION TO LAKESIDE
Thursday, October 12, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
LCS Members Only
Sign-up at Service desk
Cost: $250 pesos.

Learn all the basics:
*Banking
*Shopping
* Restaurants
* Medical