Chapala.com Webboard

New Pizza Place at 16 de Sept. and Donato Guerra in Ajijic

Bisbee Gal

This is Ole Ola's old place, just north of La Nueva Posada.  

Looks like they were setting up, saw the new pizza oven in the corner.  

Not sure if open for business yet; I was in car and couldn't stop to ask.  Signage clearly says PIZZA.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they opened this past Monday, September 11. We were there last night. Granted, we all know that PIZZA is a very individualized thing. However, for our tastes and the type of pizza we most enjoyed NOB before moving here five years ago, this is OUR FAVORITE after trying numerous places!! The name of the place is M & J ROYAL PIZZA, operated by Moises and Josh. The pie came out super fast and was cut into eight large pieces. It would have been enough to have just eaten half of it, but we were fairly hungry, so we ate it all there and took none home. We had the "Mixed" for 160 pesos. Good sauce, ample amount, pepperoni, mushroom, black olives, salami, green pepper. They also have calzones. Soon the will have three salads to choose from:  Caesar, mixta, and Caprese.

Moises told us that they were scheduled to have a land line connected today and they will be doing servicio a domicilio. He plans to add pasta in the near future, but wants to make his own, so they will see how things go initially. They are open 12:30 - 8:30 and won't decide on the day to close for a couple of weeks yet. I'll attempt to post a photo of the current menu in another post.

Sorry, I'm not certain of the characteristics of NY pizza. However, I am familiar with Chicago deep dish and, of course, this is not that.

The crust is on the thinner side of medium, but not what I'd call thin. It was crispy.

Thanks for word of this new pizza place and for posting the menu. My favorite pizza is margharita,  which is often one of the least expensive. Here it's 180 p. Wow. What makes it "gourmet" I wonder. The description seems to be a standard margharita.

Lexy

23 minutes ago, Lexy said:

Thanks for word of this new pizza place and for posting the menu. My favorite pizza is margharita,  which is often one of the least expensive. Here it's 180 p. Wow. What makes it "gourmet" I wonder. The description seems to be a standard margharita.

Lexy

When it comes to pizza, it's about the cheese, which is an expensive ingredient.  So....in this case, they may be putting the really good stuff on. Taste will tell.

6 minutes ago, Lexy said:

Thanks, Gringal. I think they'd make their case for the "gourmet" part if they said something about a really special cheese, 'cause right now this margharita isn't sounding special.

Lexy

I agree.  They should tell why it's special.  I like those, too.

18 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

As usual, comparing prices from a well-developed country with a high cost of living, to a country like Mexico, is apples and oranges. And one reason I live here, not there.

You are absolutely right...therefore I can't understand why the price is comparable (focus on CDN $ and pizza prices)???

Since I don't know what size this new place has, can you pass that along please?

Okay, so a pepperoni at this place is about $11 Cdn. And in Toronto $15 (I'm gonna guess they are individual sizes). You think there should be more of a spread? Now I'm not sure if you are saying this place is too expensive... Actually, I am thinking that Toronto restaurant has some pretty good prices. My favourite place in Ottawa, the Colonnade is $22.95 for a medium pepperoni.

If you go to Pizza Disco in Ajijic, you will pay only 70/75 for an individual, and only 120 for a medium, which is actually pretty large.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Since I don't know what size this new place has, can you pass that along please?

These are individual sizes...very large dinner plate.

Okay, so a pepperoni at this place is about $11 Cdn. And in Toronto $15 (I'm gonna guess they are individual sizes). You think there should be more of a spread? Now I'm not sure if you are saying this place is too expensive... Actually, I am thinking that Toronto restaurant has some pretty good prices. My favourite place in Ottawa, the Colonnade is $22.95 for a medium pepperoni.

Yes, all things considered the spread should be much larger...please bear in mind that this is considered a reasonably  high end restaurant.

If you go to Pizza Disco in Ajijic, you will pay only 70/75 for an individual, and only 120 for a medium, which is actually pretty large.

Pizza Disco is a much more reasonably priced pizza and BTW pretty good too!

logo.png

http://vesuviospizza.com/

This was one of the very first places for pizza in Toronto back in the 50's; were I had my first taste of the my favorite food! Toronto was first introduced to New York style pizza when the Pugliese family founded Vesuvio in 1957.

Another new restaurant that serves excellent pizza is Pale (with an accent on the "e"). It is located on the south side of the carretera, west of Colon, next to the Sherwin Williams paint store. Pale is open Thursday thru Sunday. It is run by delightful Spanish brothers. David is the chef while younger Carlos is the host...and charmer. Carlos is also the creator of their excellent pizzas. These are gourmet pizzas. Some are quite different such as shrimp and spinach. The crust is thin and perfectly crisp because all pizzas are cooked in a wood-fired circular oven which is visible from the small but tastefully decorated dining area. What is very special is the sauce. It is rich and flavorful. They do have carry out.

Carlos "researched" all of the other pizzas in the area. He like some of them but said the best ones are the kind of pizza he would want with a beer while watching a futball game on TV. His goal with Pale's pizza was to produce a truly gourmet version that you eat with knife and fork while seated. My friend shared with me a slice of her pepperoni pizza that had long, yellowish sweet peppers on it. It was delicious.

Pale's pizzas come in one size....a slightly large small or a slightly small medium, depending on your perspective. It is perfect for 2 people with a light appetite or one person who is a hearty eater. You can order the pizzas to go. Carlos hopes to offer home delivery in the near future.

Very nice to know .   But whatever happened to the OP ?  Any more comments ??  Did Moises and Josh Leave Perry's ?  Or are they still there ? I promise there is a connection to the OP . Because they made a good pizza at Perry's  and apparently  a good one at their new location .  Won't be able to find out myself for a few more weeks .  

Archived