Chapala.com Webboard

Chiles En Nogada....Who's Got Them and How Are They?

Bisbee Gal

We like to turn this seasonal dish into a sporting event, trying as many as we can for what is usually a 2 week (or less) specialty.  Every Mexican cook (and family) has their own version.

Have you run into them recently...if so, where and how would you rate them?  Even if you didn't try them, where did you see them?

Saw them on blackboard at Lake Taco today.  Hmmmm.... should I risk ordering a semi-fancy dish at a taco place??  Surprise, surprise...they were among the best I've ever had.!  Good ratio meat to dried fruit, good size poblano, pretty presentation with pomegranate seeds and cilantro to represent MXN flag, along with the rich white walnut sauce.  And.....only 85 pesos.  Have had much less tasty ones at 2x the price in years past.  

You could make your own and invite your friends!  The recipe is involved, but not complicated.  Just time-consuming.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2017/09/chiles-en-nogada-el-rey-de-los-chiles-chiles-in-walnut-sauce-the-king-of-chiles.html

15 minutes ago, More Liana said:

You could make your own and invite your friends!  The recipe is involved, but not complicated.  Just time-consuming.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2017/09/chiles-en-nogada-el-rey-de-los-chiles-chiles-in-walnut-sauce-the-king-of-chiles.html

Yes, those who want to cook, like to cook, and enjoy cooking can find recipes all over the internet. There are even local cooking classes devoted to it. However, the OP did not say, "I want to spend days working on an involved recipe so I can then entertain my friends." The OP was quite clear with her request. 

Last time I wanted a pizza at midnight, I took this Webboard's advice and "made my own". So I drove to Guadalajara, puttered around until I found an all-night grocery store, and got all the ingredients. I had to learn how to make the pizza dough, though, and that took a few tries. The final crust was more oblong than round, but it held the ingredients. The electric starter in my oven wouldn't come on, so I dug around through my drawers and found a long-necked lighter, which actually sparked enough after 7 or 8 tries to fire up the gas. Can't complain... by this time dawn was breaking, so it was easy enough to see inside the oven.

My pizza was ready just in time for my wife's waking up for breakfast. And it was sure good. All was well until she asked "where can I get a milkshake to go with this...?"

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Yes, those who want to cook, like to cook, and enjoy cooking can find recipes all over the internet. There are even local cooking classes devoted to it. However, the OP did not say, "I want to spend days working on an involved recipe so I can then entertain my friends." The OP was quite clear with her request. 

Why, I would never have thought of that!  Thanks for letting me know.  :ph34r:

On 9/13/2017 at 3:37 PM, kbleitch said:

A couple of weeks ago, I ate them twice at Fogón de Charlotte (next to Tio Sam's on the Libramiento) and they were the best I have ever had, better than at Viva México.

Went there today for lunch.  No chiles en nogada....waiter said, maybe next week.  

Went to lunch at Cocinart today because they had advertised Chiles En Nogada on their FB page earlier in the week.  

Get there...not on the specials board (sigh).  But I asked the waiter, he checked with the kitchen and said they had them.  Later, I saw other diners also getting them.  However, when we left I checked the board and they did not add them to the specials.  

Large and fully stuffed with above average flavor.  130 pesos.  

Archived