Chapala.com Webboard

Scottsdale to lakeside, recommended stops?

dennis clark

dennis clark, we feel San Carlos, Sonora Best Western is more realistic for a days drive from Scottsdale. Then Mazatlan next day and lakeside the next. We lived in Carefree, AZ and built a home in San Carlos, made the trip many, many times. Then we decided to build lakeside and made the San Carlos lakeside trip numerous times also.

We recently made the drive from North Glendale, AZ.  We stopped in Los Mochis at The Zar Hotel-close to carretera and pet friendly.  Unbeknown to us the Federales must use this hotel as a strategic contact point.  The place was  loaded with Federal police and their vehicles.  We felt extremely safe to say the least.  If you decide on this place request 2nd flr room, 1st flr was noisy with activity from the police.  We did ask front desk if some "sting" was in progress, to which they replied "No". Good luck and have a safe trip.

We used to stay in a hotel south of PV in Mismaloya called The Casa Iguana. The Federales also use that hotel and apparently get a reduced rate. They are also extremely noisy there. Having lived for over 15 years in Mexico we no longer stay there and feel just the opposite of HoosierMex above. A great place for the cartels to ambush the drunken Federales. To each his own perception. 

• 1 month later...

Your stops should be made according to when you cross the border.....

Hermosillo is an option

Obregon is my personal fav....

The drive after obregon to next state is long.... i passed obregon at 6 30pm thinking a no tell motel would be near by south bound... it wasnt untill 11 45pm i found the place were the military took chapo before he was flown out

There is a La Quinta in Hermosillo that is right on the main road and is decent with a restaurant.   I also recommend Obregon - Isis Hotel - but you are several miles off the main highway to get into Obregon.  Isis is ultra modern, also has a decent restaurant in the lobby.  I believe the next stop is Mazatlan and I was very glad I got off the freeway at Obregon as it was a very very long drive with absolutely no place to stop after you leave Obregon.  As stated above. 

Here's our route based on several things;

• we need to find pet-friendly options
  • we like an on-site restaurant 
  • we no longer like to spend more than eight hours on the road (including stops)
  • we like to arrive at our destination mid-day. 

Apache Junction - Hermosillo / Hotel Colonial - a very nice business-class hotel similar to a Holiday Inn

Hermosillo - Los Mochis / The Hotel Olivos - I don't recommend this one unless you like VERY basic Mexican hotels. We stay here because it's clean, easy to get to and they take dogs. We tried the Ibis but the rooms are way too small and the Zar has been taken over by the Federales. We wouldn't stay here though, if it wasn't for the dog - we're way past suicide showers at this point in our lives.

Los Mochis - San Blas / The Hotel Garza Canela - Going in and out of San Blas adds an hour to the trip but for us, it's worth it. The hotel and restaurant are great and the grounds are huge so there's lots of room to safely walk our dog. 

San Blas - Ajijic

Archived