Chapala.com Webboard

are there any plastic recycling operations lakeside?

bdmowers

There used to be a few small local operations taking in or picking up recyclables.  Anyone know of any at the current time?

The regular trash truck separates at least plastic, possibly cans and paper as well. They would probably appreciate if you  bagged things separately as well. :)

The basuleros busily (man, do they work hard!) dig through our trash bags to separate out plastic, aluminum, paper, cardboard and sell these to The basuleros busily (man, do they work hard!) dig through our trash bags to separate out plastic, aluminum, paper, cardboard and sell these to supplement their dismal pay from the municipality.  But they have to take these things all the way to Guadalajara to sell them (down bumpy old Highway 15) which keeps many of the trucks in the shop at any given time.  Putting recyclables in separate bags would help them financially as well as keeping the 20% of recyclables or so the basuleros cannot retrieve out of the dump.  Local community-run recycling operation, anyone?  I helped run the last attempt at a for-profit operation in Riberas for a year and we helped not only the basuleros but hundreds of local people who brought in their 10 kilo bags of plastic bottles they picked up off the roadside and lakeside.  Not viable as a for-profit business, we found, but as a non-profit would be one of the most community-beneficial things that could be made.  Along with turning our local green waste into compost. That could possibly be a for-profit business.

10 minutes ago, JoeOnOrcas said:

Why would a bike lane be a waste of money? I think making the carretera more accessible for those without cars is a great idea!

Have you seen the carretera ?  Especially in Ajijic .  The shops are right up to the street .   Pretty difficult to get a bike lane on there .  But then I am NOT an engineer .   

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:49 PM, dixonge said:

Do you know what plastic items can't be recycled here? Bags? Bottle lids?

When we had  our place, we did not accept those 2 things. Not sure if things have changed.

The common plastic grocery bags can be recycled. Lids of plastic bottles not so much. I separate tin cans, alum cans, plastic bottles and bags, newspaper and cardboard and put it a separate bag. 

Archived