Chapala.com Webboard

Scorpions

lumieretoo

I got up one morning and put on my clothes and went to the dining room for coffee.  Just as I was sitting down something bit me... I jumped up and was bitten again. I dropped my drawers and out fell a small scorpion with minutes to live. Took two Chloro Trimeton and slept for 12 hours. When I woke up the pain was gone and the swelling was minimal. Always a good idea to have some kind of anti-histamine on hand.

• Like 1

I got up one morning and put on my clothes and went to the dining room for coffee.  Just as I was sitting down something bit me... I jumped up and was bitten again. I dropped my drawers and out fell a small scorpion with minutes to live. Took two Chloro Trimeton and slept for 12 hours. When I woke up the pain was gone and the swelling was minimal. Always a good idea to have some kind of anti-histamine on hand.

Sorry about your ordeal, but FYI scorpions do not bite- they sting.

I found (from personal experience) that getting an ice pack on the sting quickly stops the burning/stinging and takes care of the swelling. Certainly an antihistamine will benefit also.

Remember, ICE is a very good friend for many injuries.

Got stung on the "drumstick" of my thumb six months ago. Took a Benedryl right away, as well as ice. Feeling did not work its way back to the tip of my thumb for 4 months! My first scorpion sting was similar to yours, Ferrret-  a friend handed me a pair of shorts she said were too small for her if I wanted them- I went to try them on and there was a scorpion inside.

id never been stung or bit by anything until a few years ago i was stung on the finger by a wasp.  hurt like heck and remembered id read about apple cider vinegar extracting or diluting the venom.  so immediately submerged my finger in the vinegar and immediately the pain was gone !!!  Dont know if it will work for a scorpion but i have it in the fridge just in case.  Thanks for the heads up about the Cynoff.  Im getting some today.

Keep a bottle of Benadryl in the fridge; just in case...good insurance!

Jara has a bait? for scorpions. Has anyone used it? Other suggestions welcome.

We are NOT over run, just the odd one. Actually he is not odd, seems pretty smart at escaping my shoe.:angry:

I've never heard if a bait. They only eat live bugs. The spray is effective in killing them before they sting anyone.  Having your home sprayed will have the secondary benefit of controling the palmetto bugs, roaches. The  Home Defense spray from Costco or Sams in the gallon spray bottle works well but don't expect to last 6 months here. Cynoff is really toxic and will last 3-4 months. 

• Like 2

I got stung on the base of the back of my head spending the night in my friend's rarely used casita. I grabbed the scorpion off, tossed it on the floor and crushed it with my heel.

Waking me up in the morning was apparently his/her mate (I hear they travel in pairs, and perhaps they do) stinging me on the outside of my right thigh and then again on another part of my right thigh when the first sting caused me to roll over on it.  I got a jar and put that one in the jar. It was very light, almost translucent. It sure hurt a lot... more than other scorpion stings I have had... and more than wasp, hornet or yellow-jacket stings. 

I didn't take anything for it and about 30 minutes later, my lips started feeling numbs and my throat started closing off my breathing. Normally I would sluff off a scorpion sting, but I guess three stings within 12 hours imparted enough venom that I needed to do something. I decided to go to Cruz Roja but my right leg (gas pedal leg) was twitching involuntarily so bad that it was almost comical and I could not drive, so I had my buddy drive me.

They put an IV port in a vein on my forearm and put in a pain-killer, and anti-venom and then another pain killer and made me wait for 30 min to make sure I did not have a negative reaction and let me go. I think it was $450 pesos -- or whatever you can afford. I think I gave them $1000 pesos. 

As for the scorpion in the jar, after it was dead, I put it on a small, pretty rock and covered it in Elmer's Glue... which dried out clear making it look like it was encased  in plastic. It will last a couple years in that condition. Just another curio with which to decorate the garden.

• Like 1

The little amber ones are more dangerous than the bigger or same-size black ones...

Our Doc in Ajijic told us many years ago that generally the strength of the sting is related to how long ago they had their last kill. The longer the time the more severe the sting. Makes sense but who knows?  Have never seen one here in PV.

(Knocks on wood)

• 2 years later...

I  found a 2.5" scorpion on my floor yesterday.  He was light red with dark red pincers and amber legs. Thinking it was dead, I swept it up and he started moving, so I swept him out the door. He spent most of the afternoon sleeping in the sun on my screen door. Does anyone know where on the venom spectrum this type is? I'm concerned about my cat.

1 hour ago, Julian said:

Does anyone know where on the venom spectrum this type is? I'm concerned about my cat.

I've never seen a light red one before. Only the dark brown and almost translucent ones. Someone may correct me, but I don't think you need worry about the cat. My neighbor's cats will play with them and eat them. Maybe the stinger can only deposit toxin on bare skin, not through fur, or maybe it's not a toxin that affects cats.

• Sad 1

The powder used for scorpions is called asumtol (not sure about spelling)they usually sell at vet stores and you mix with water.. brush it around property and your good for a few months

I also use grey duck tape as a wall...  i place one strip along the door bottom taped to both sides.. and i place one same size with sticky side up...  most laugh but i have caught one on the top of my tape barrier and also very small ones at the bottom

If you go to home depot on the garden side you will find the rodent stick stuff... i have placed a few on corners and have caught small scorpions

They say the scorpions with lobster claws are not poisone... the ones with pointed claws are the poisen ones..but dont quote me on that

The over the counter medicine available at the pharmacy at walmart is called AVAPENA. no more then 3 pills per 24hrs

While in the subject of insects..  my latest trick for flies is 50/50 white vinegar and the purple fabuloso floor cleaner "fresca lavanda"  i take a plastic bottle cut it at the bottom like a bowl and i hang them . Placing a foil paper ball to keep birds from drinking it

If you see a scorpion, smush it. Otherwise it will just come back in the house. And there is a better chance that you will step on it with bare feet or sit on it or...  And yes cats and dogs can get stung by scorpions and become very ill. A friend's cat died from a scorpion bite.

Few are deadly but they are all venomous. Per Dr Sam, the amount of venom is based on how recently the scorpion ate - used its stinger - not the size or shape or color or...

Just now, MtnMama said:

If you see a scorpion, smush it.

Yes, I don't like to kill things that are harmless, like my house spiders, or ants that are just moving through, but I do draw the line at scorpions and cockroaches in the house and they all get smushed. I look after a little cabin next to me for the owner and had a girl renting there who would carefully carry all the scorpions outside to "rehome" them. I told her I was pretty sure that scorpions weren't an endangered species, and that I really wouldn't care if they went extinct.

• Like 1

I have userd Cynoff but a few scorpions still appear in the house. So I use the sticky pads that Jara sells as a seconf line o defense. 

I was stung once, the scorpion was in a damp towel. It was no big deal. No medication required.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:21 PM, Jabonera said:

The little amber ones are more dangerous than the bigger or same-size black ones...

That is not what the experts say