Chapala.com Webboard

FYI- TIP paperwork

wanderer

when i crossed at nuevo laredo on the 12th of june i used my registration to get my TIP.  i crossed northbound at the colombia bridge this last tuesday and cancelled my FMM and TIP. i renewed my TIP with my registration no problem.  however there was a couple trying to get a TIP with only their registration and they wouldnt allow it. the TIP lady said they needed their title too. they finally found the title in the car and were able to get the TIP. 

there were some leaflets there at the TIP  window that said you HAD to have your registration and title to get a TIP. yet i only had the registration, no problem. very strange but next time i will have both.

a HUGE issue is that while you can technically get a TIP with the vehicle registration, without the title your car will sit in impound if towed due to improper parking or accident.  Financed cars should get a US notary certified copy with apostille to prepare for this eventuality. 

what spencer says is correct. i plan to go to the trouble of going to the hwy dept in austin and have it certified then to the sec of states office to get an apostille. could save you lots of trouble. 

i dont know anything about TIPS for canadian cars. im only reporting what i observed in person. at the colombia bridge!!!!

There is a link from my web site to here: http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

It states title or registration. And as noted Canadian provinces do not have a title and you will never get one so I do not know how it could be held in impound, legally. 

On my web site is the English translation and Article 106 s there as well in both languages. 

I would print these out along with Article 106 and carry in my foreign plated car.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that should be noted is that you have to have ORIGINAL documents not photo copies. 

In Canada you do not need to carry the original registration in the vehicle, a photo copy is acceptable. I always had a photo copy in the vehicle then put the original back when I came south, but one year I forgot and arrived at the border with the photo copy and was refused a TIP, I had to have my son Fedex the original registration overnight to my hotel in Laredo. That was a very expensive mistake.

Archived