Chapala.com Webboard

Solar Hot Tub Heater????

Hello All... it's been a while since I have posted but I need some help and don't know where else to turn. 

I have bought a used American style jacuzzi hot tub which I am installing in my back yard. It came with a working pump but no heater. I am having it installed under a tiled roof, and I was thinking the best way to heat it would be with one (or two???) stainless steel cylinder type solar water heaters. They could sit on the tiled roof directly above the tub. My question is... I work as a real estate broker... yet I have never seen this application. Is there a reason that noone does this? Can it be done? If it can be done... are there any local examples and or references I can buy the water heaters from and have them installed?

I would like this project to be a green as possible... and also would like to take advantage of our daily (not lately, lol) sun. 

Cheers, 

Chris 

My questions would be: How do you regulate temp? Aren't hot tubs with heaters set to max out at 105 F?

If you did a tank system, what would you do with the cold water left in the tub?

Maybe another type of solar heater that you could run a bomba on to  recirculate the water from tub to the heater?

Maybe a google search on solar heated tubs?

I have a similar set up. It works great but I have the glass tube type water heater. I regulate the temperature by hand. In the winter does not work so well as I only have one panel. Sometimes have to use electric heater. Lots of electricity. I added a 12 volt pump attached to a solar panel. Now I pay almost no electric or gas.

I would be inclined to use the elec heater than is with the hot tub and spend the money on a solar electric system to cover the increased elec use plus added benefit of reducing elect bill.

Chris,

STI has helped 2 hot tub owners in Ajijic with this kind of setup in the past couple of months, both are quite pleased and join numerous other happy solar heated hot tub clients.

Tom's point is also valid depending on your situation and preferences.

Send me a PM and we can go from there to help you in the best way.

Chris,

STI has helped 2 hot tub owners in Ajijic with this kind of setup in the past couple of months, both are quite pleased and join numerous other happy solar heated hot tub clients.

Tom's point is also valid depending on your situation and preferences.

Send me a PM and we can go from there to help you in the best way.

I am one of the hot tub owners that STI helped and I am thrilled with my solar water heating system! Just one panel (2 x 3 m.) and a small circulating pump have the tub at 95 F by late afternoon.

[edit] I also use a propane heater to get the tub up to 105 F before I use it, but with the solar boost that takes a matter of a few minutes instead of the hour + it took before, and I use a LOT less propane! ;-) Gracias AngusMactavish.

Give Ron Magen an email and see what he can do for you. I highly recommend Ron and STI. 

Ron Magen

Ron Magen's profile photo
ron@solartechnology.com.mx

Most hot tub manufacturers recommend a spa temperature of 102 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Yes, I should have added that I use a propane heater to get the tub up to 105 F before I use it. But with the solar boost that takes a matter of minutes instead of over an hour as before. So I also use a LOT less gas! Thanks for the reminder. 

Archived