Chapala.com Webboard

Detailed directions from Ajijic to Laredo via Zacatecas

Taaffe

We just returned from the states yesterday driving that route, which was formerly my favorite, and I would suggest trying the SLP route, or at least get information on that route.  The rainy weather has created a lot of potholes just since we drove north a month ago.  The two lane mountain roads with heavy semi traffic was dangerous.  Highway 45 into Aguascalientes was closed with police diverting traffic, with no directions for a detour, forcing us to take the outer ring road with is under re-construction.  It's a muddy, giant pothole riddled mess.  Just as I said I was surprised no one was getting stuck, the car behind us got stuck.  I'm thankful for our all wheel SUV.

If it's still your preferred route I would suggest google maps.

If one goes "thru" Zacatecas and up 54 towards Laredo, one would probably not want to go 'back' into Saltillo for lodging but rather use one of the many hotels on the northern outskirts, in Ramos Arizpe.

One way to skip Aguascalientes is to take Hiway 54 libre north out of Guadalajara up to Zacatecas. Yes, it is a 2-lane road with curves and topes and for the first 100+ miles one will average 40mph at best. It the same time-wise to go that way as opposed to taking the 80D cuota to the 45 cuota to Aguascalientes and on up to Zacatecas.  I am NOT recommending one go that way unless they are aware that is will be a 'slow' trip with the high probability of getting behind trucks/buses especially during the first 100 miles..... but it is an alternative taking the same timeframe and without tolls.  I drove it late last year again just to prove to myself that I prefer to take the 80D route and pay tolls.... and yes, I do!

Tolls notwithstanding, I'm thinking that the new NW bypass of San Luis Potosi makes the trip to Laredo that way more appealing than it used to be....

The Aguascalientes road closure may have been due to an accident.  After following traffic for 30 minutes we could get back onto the highway and take the middle ring road as usual. 

BTW:  On the drive down we discovered that Highway 255 in Texas from I-35 to Colombia bridge is no longer a toll road.  Is that new?  The word "toll" was taped over on the interstate exit signs, so we took it.  We've never had Texas tags before and hadn't taken it before.

1 hour ago, d-d said:

The Aguascalientes road closure may have been due to an accident.  After following traffic for 30 minutes we could get back onto the highway and take the middle ring road as usual. 

BTW:  On the drive down we discovered that Highway 255 in Texas from I-35 to Colombia bridge is no longer a toll road.  Is that new?  The word "toll" was taped over on the interstate exit signs, so we took it.  We've never had Texas tags before and hadn't taken it before.

Most probably temporary due to Harvey.

Archived