Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Takes the High Road Again

Kiko

I vividly remember when Mexico sent a convoy of Military trucks to the US to provide food, shelter, and medical supplies for the victims of Katrina.  Google it up sometime.  Once again with Hurricane Harvey Mexico takes the high road despite all.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather/2017/08/27/mexico-offers-help-harvey-soaked-texas

Not a political statement but rather a snapshot of human dignity.

Well, the first half of the article may be human dignity, but the last half is definitely a political jab that doesn't belong in the article except for obvious reasons. In this case, MX is helping a lot of their own people - just saying. Texas can take care of itself, HEB has sent a convoy of trucks with food, water etc. Budweiser has converted a packaging line to canned water and the lists go on and on. Utility crews are converging from all over not only TX, but the US. The Houston flooding is a disaster, but not unusual, the devastation in Rockport which everyone seems to have forgotten is far greater.

Even the early people of this continent knew that the area was.......uninhabitable.  They chose higher ground and a better climate, only visiting seasonally to harvest seafood in some areas.

The worst is yet to come in Texas, that will happen when the residents return home to find their insurance policy and call in the claim.  The major insurers own the Texas Dept of Insurance so the available policies will have dozens of ways to avoid payment to the homeowner, or you may not have a separate flood policy, or your deductible will be the largest portion of your claim payment.   Don´t expect the feds to provide much other than a photo op with a selfie stick.  There will be a lot of talk, but it will be as they say in Texas, "all hat and no horse."

It is definitely the biggest sauna I've ever visited.  I can still remember trying to go for a run there in summer.  It absolutely astounds me that 4 million people would live there.

Sadly, Rockport, one of our favorite beach towns has basically been wiped out.  

2 hours ago, Kiko said:

The worst is yet to come in Texas, that will happen when the residents return home to find their insurance policy and call in the claim.  The major insurers own the Texas Dept of Insurance so the available policies will have dozens of ways to avoid payment to the homeowner, or you may not have a separate flood policy, or your deductible will be the largest portion of your claim payment.   Don´t expect the feds to provide much other than a photo op with a selfie stick.  There will be a lot of talk, but it will be as they say in Texas, "all hat and no horse."

A friend lost his home to hurricane Rita years back. Forced by the state to have storm insurance, when Rita hit and left him with a slab, he was paid 20 cents on the dollar. And then the slab was foreclosed on when he quit paying on a non existent house he could never rebuild.  I hope the insurance has gotten better for those folks. It's going to be a long haul to fully recover. 

Oh yes, flood insurance is a $$joke, if the water doesn't come from a specific direction for a specific reason and on a non-rainy Thursday - sorry Charley. But, that's not just TX, when I lived in Louisiana it was the same. As I recall now, we prayed the roof blew off so the rain came from above, not rising water from the bayou we lived on which was connected to Lake Pontchartrain which is open to the Gulf and every time the wind blew the water came up, but whatever. The Fed response appears to be significant, but "we" tend not to depend much on them, it's better to do it with home folks and leave the pols, DC (and strings) out of it.

2 hours ago, Kiko said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather/2017/08/29/mexico-awaits-abbotts-response-offer-hurricane-harvey-relief

Gov of Texas to accept Mexico´s help.  How about we just accept this for what it is.  Mexico offers Hurricane Harvey assistance to Texas.  Texas accepts.   Period.  

Yep, that says it all. Other stuff is just fluff. :D

Well that did not take long, the advance team of Cruz Roja in Dallas working hard to help with dignity and respect for all.  En route to Houston tomorrow.  Good news for Texans.  You need to tap the unmute to listen in.

6 hours ago, giltner68 said:

I know it's a good thing, but I'm already beginning to get the impression MX is "polishing its reputations" especially in light of the news that DACA is being cancelled. Might be a coincidence, but then I'm not much on coincidence. 

6 hours ago, giltner68 said:

I know it's a good thing, but I'm already beginning to get the impression MX is "polishing its reputations" especially in light of the news that DACA is being cancelled. Might be a coincidence, but then I'm not much on coincidence. 

I didn't hear that DACA is being cancelled and even if it is Mexico is doing the neighborly thing, neighbors helping neighbors. Quit being so negative about the help being offered!

18 hours ago, giltner68 said:

What was Mexico doing in 2005 when it sent aid to New Orleans after Katrina? 

Archived