Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican cheese recommendation?

bdlngton

Being a cheese fanatic I've tried them all so I still drive (or order through the Lakeside shopping service) to Costco for either Tillamook White Cheddar or the competitor from Vermont. Both are excellent. Superlake buy the bulk cheeses from Costco, repackage the wedges and sell them at higher prices, but that is also an option.

True. It usually parks closer to Fenix Real Estate. And it can be seen on various sections of the highway that day. That business also sets up shop in Chapala one day a week, but I can't remember the name of the street.

On August 28, 2017 at 8:04 AM, bournemouth said:

For mass produced cheese, the aged cheddar by Navarro, sold in packaged wedges with black cover in Walmart cheese case in front of the deli, is pretty good.  The best I have found.

I like this cheese also. I think it says "fuerte" on the packaging, but I equate it with a good, white, medium cheddar. And it's from Jalisco! (I think?)

12 hours ago, Travis said:

I like this cheese also. I think it says "fuerte" on the packaging, but I equate it with a good, white, medium cheddar. And it's from Jalisco! (I think?)

I believe it says anejo.

I got some Navarro cheddar at WalMart today. It says nothing on the package concerning age; this is a 400 gram round of white cheese. Perhaps they have other versions in a black cover (this packaging is clear with navy and orange labeling), but not today. I will keep looking.

It is, perhaps, the weakest cheddar I have ever tasted.

However, that is not necessarily a bad thing... because it actually reminds me of fresh curds, and curds is something we just can't get around here. It even has a little bit of a squeak to it. If you like to make poutine, this is the cheese for you. I haven't tried to melt it yet, but I will. 62p for the round.

Today I bought some of the Navarro añejo cheddar at Walmart.  It is in the refrigerators between the tetra pack milk and the bakery. It is sold in wedges. There is also a Navarro cheddar sold in ball form in the coolers near the deli section.  I had always thought these were the same cheese until I read the previous post about the aged (añejo) version.  I think it actually has pretty good flavor.

I also checked out the cheese section at Super Lake and noticed about four different cheeses I haven't seen there before.  The brand was QuesArte, I believe.  Isn't that the brand sold at the Tuesday market?  

Most Mexican cheeses are pretty bland. Navarro is not bad. Check to see if they are made from pasteurized milk as I had Brucellosis earlier this year.

I just got some of the Navarro añejo cheddar (as correctly pointed out, in the deli cooler to the left of the bakery at WalMart). I am very impressed: for a six-month cheese, it is pretty good, and actually a true cheddar. I have purchased cheddars by other brands over the years, but stopped being a sucker after spending a lot of money on stuff that was definitely not cheddar.

This cheddar is different. However, at 54 to 62p for 250 grams, the price becomes a consideration. A kilo would be minimum 216p. The 907 gr brick of Tillamook at CostCo is $235, but is a far, far better cheese. The other cheese that CostCo sells, from Vermont (name escapes me now) is under $200, but I think is also 907 gr. if you do the math, it comes down to flavour vs. price, but I think when I just want a decent chunk of cheese and I don't really need a huge brick, I'll grab a Navarro. (And if you decide to buy the Tillamook at SuperLake, it's going to set you back $300.)

The Vermont cheese maker is Cabot, located in Cabot, VT.  I like it a lot better than Tillamook, and only wish that the rest of their line of cheeses, especially the other cheddars, were available everywhere. When we used to frequent the area, we loved visiting their tasting room....for hours !

Award Winning Cheese | Cabot Creamery

Now do you believe us? :lol:

I don't know why you think I didn't "believe" you. I stand by what I said: at the time of posting, I had never, ever had a decent Mexican cheddar. And after shopping here for 20 years, yes, I had given up. Lucky for me, there was a good recommendation on this board, not just silly backlash.

The Vermont cheese maker is Cabot, located in Cabot, VT.  I like it a lot better than Tillamook, and only wish that the rest of their line of cheeses, especially the other cheddars, were available everywhere. When we used to frequent the area, we loved visiting their tasting room....for hours !

Yes, that is the one. Better tasting, and better priced. In fact, as close to Canadian cheddar as I've had from the U.S.

And.... Cabot, VT is not very far from Canada.  It is a cooperative creamery with very strict quality control.  Grass fed cows make for tastier beef and milk too. In my childhood, all of our bread, cheese and paté came from Québec in an old Chevy panel truck that prowled our part of “the northcountry“ where most of the farmers still spoke French; the Québecois version.

• 2 weeks later...

Joaquín is back inside the Chapala market. He just does not offer vegetables or fruit like before. He has a large supply of cheeses and I tried his cheddar. I find it better than what I could find in WalMart. It melts well and has some flavor. Have him cut you off a try.

Archived