Chapala.com Webboard

Adoption a Mexican baby

Jingshine

We had some friends do it quite a few years ago...I can't even estimate how much they spent with various lawyers, etc...Over $25,000 U.S. possibly more and 3-5 years. Finally made it happen but left Ajijic as they were worried if they returned the process would start over again..Mexico makes it very difficult for foreigners to adopt..

What about the whole Irish adoptive families and Mexican Orphanage controversy about 7 or 8 years ago.  A lot of money gone and a lot of babies gone too.  I don't recall much of the particulars but it seemed like for a year or so we were always socially coming across Irish couples staying for months to finalize adoptions, some of which were successful and most at the end which were not completed. 

11 hours ago, solajijic said:

What about the whole Irish adoptive families and Mexican Orphanage controversy about 7 or 8 years ago.  A lot of money gone and a lot of babies gone too.  I don't recall much of the particulars but it seemed like for a year or so we were always socially coming across Irish couples staying for months to finalize adoptions, some of which were successful and most at the end which were not completed. 

This is one of the reasons adopting is a tough slog.  It can be done but as noted it will be very costly and slow.

No children under 7 years old can be adopted by foreigners unless they are special needs children. The Irish couples were told this by their embassy but went ahead. The woman who provided the children was arrested because she had "borrowed" them for a photo shoot . There is no private adoption in Mexico.

My only conclusion is the rules are pure racism. Mexico is a member of the Hague Adoption Convention, but plays dumb when a white person is seeking adoption.

Good advice on the subject: http://www.rainbowkids.com/adoption-stories/adopting-from-mexico-913

Taaffe - Thanks I knew there was story to it all.  Somany disappointed young couples who had spent a goodly amount of money and 4 to 6 months in country.  Such a shame.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Won't be a problem so long as you understand you're also adopting her family. :D

Oh how true this is!

We recently went to the orphanage on the south side of lake and brought up this subject with the Nuns.  Income and age requirements.  You have to prove you can pay for an education through university level, etc.  On the other hand, up at the Rancho where my wife is from it's customary to give babies away!  If you have too many you can give one to a family that has none.  No government, no paperwork but if your willing and able to pay some, the better.  This practice occurs only between families and community.  I'm sure a gringo looking to adopt would be out of the loop though a big wad of cash might make for exceptions to the rules.  Needless to say, all this must be completely illegal and verge on violating human trafficking laws but that's neither here nor there in the Ranchos.  My wife's family has many "gifted" family members who probably had a much better life as a result.

Disagree about the racism, unless religion is by nature racist. The orphanages here are often run by various faiths, although I am sure there are some completely neutral ones. The orphans, and what is left of their families, know that the child will have to take up whatever the party line is at that particular orphanage. Then the potential adoptive parents are not only scrutinized by income, and background checks, but also religion. Is that fair? Shouldn't it be all about the well being and upbringing of a child? I do not know these answers.

Children Referred for Adoption

Children age 5 and older are in the greatest need of adoptive families and Mexico has made their placement a priority.  US families may request children age 5 and older, sibling groups or children with special needs. Although Mexico allows a child as young as 5 to be adopted internationally, most children legally free for adoption are age 8 or older.  Sibling groups may include children younger and older than age 5.  Children with special needs may be any age.  Children age 15+ may be unadoptable, if not being adopted with a younger sibling.

All referrals of children to adoptive families are made through the DIF.  Families adopting related children (nieces, nephews, siblings) are obliged to follow the same procedures as those adopting unrelated children.

Family Eligibility to Adopt

Families entering into a Mexico adoption must work with a Hague accredited agency that is authorized to provide adoption services in Mexico.   Married couples or single women may adopt. Parents must be at least 25 year old and at least 17 years older than the child.  If married, both spouses must express their desire to adopt from Mexico in the home study.

Adoptive families must complete at least ten hours of pre-adoption education in accordance with the Hague Convention on Intercountry adoption.  This is completed while the home study is in progress.

Timeframe and Steps in the Process

Adopting from Mexico will take a minimum of one year.  The first steps are engaging the agency, providing a home study, applying to USCIS and the preparation of the dossier  documents for Mexico. The dossier includes the home study and USCIS I-800A approval and a variety of other documents required by the National DIF.

The waiting time for a child referral after Mexico accepts the dossier varies; generally the younger the child requested, the longer the wait.  Although Mexico allows international families to adopt children age 5 and older or younger children with special needs, the majority of orphans legally free in Mexico are over age 8.  Families adopting sibling groups may have a wide range of ages, from 3 to 15 years old.  The average wait time for families requesting a younger single child may be over two years; for older children, special needs children and sibling groups the wait is shorted.

This shows that anyone adopting a baby is doing so extra-legally.

Well there is a minister and his family that adopted a baby here years ago and she is probably about 6 years old now, and they were American's and they still live here.

Archived