Chapala.com Webboard

New construction next to coca cola

Kyle

27 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Good grief hombre, a commercial building of 20+ store sites plus 23 2-3 bedroom apartments and down Colon more condos/hotel?  I don't call this a tiny population;  with only one access road to the carretera. Most owners are going to go down Colon and turn east or west to get to the carretera.  It's not just the first building that is seen on the photo at the construction site.  Evidently you didn't see the photo of the total complex: http://www.entornolaguna.com/en/location/

And you have the power to change what? It is what it is so get over it. I' m sure there will be other projects in the future to cause hand wringing and gnashing of teeth.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Projects like this are inevitable. If you are not a citizen, you don't have much of a say. So you can either adapt or find another location that suits you. Finding a mix of all your convieniences and your low key life is going to be a challenge. And with the scenery you like. The tolerance levels of projects like this change as newcomers don't remember "the good old days" this will be the new reality for the future wave of expats arriving. Face it, the area is going to become more of a Guadalajara bedroom community.

4 minutes ago, zerbit said:

Projects like this are inevitable. If you are not a citizen, you don't have much of a say. So you can either adapt or find another location that suits you. Finding a mix of all your convieniences and your low key life is going to be a challenge. And with the scenery you like. The tolerance levels of projects like this change as newcomers don't remember "the good old days" this will be the new reality for the future wave of expats arriving. Face it, the area is going to become more of a Guadalajara bedroom community.

The phenomenon of lovely, affordable. little places morphing into crowded upscale places has been seen over and over again in the U.S.  I'm thinking of places like Carmel-by-the-Sea in California becoming a favorite getaway, with a line of traffic stretching all the way to Silicon Valley.  Then there's the charming Wine Country towns like Napa and Healdsburg turning from farming communities into expensive destination resorts.  All across the country......same deal.  What do people usually do when faced with their community going in that direction?  If they own their homes, they might shrug and stay anyway.  If they are renting, rising rents may force them to move on.  One thing for certain, it won't be stopped because a lot of expats who are non-citizens don't like it.

49 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

The price was published in the Ojo.  ~$150,000 USD

Seems a bit pricey for a weekend getaway. Or even a permanent home for a Tapatio who wants to be lakeside. When homes are available for that or less and you own the land and don't have monthly  fees. Or could this be geared to Tapatios buying them and renting them to expats? Maybe Mexican landlord investment properties?

4 minutes ago, zerbit said:

Seems a bit pricey for a weekend getaway. Or even a permanent home for a Tapatio who wants to be lakeside. When homes are available for that or less and you own the land and don't have monthly  fees. Or could this be geared to Tapatios buying them and renting them to expats? Maybe Mexican landlord investment properties?

It you run the numbers, it would be hard to recoup your investment as a landlord, IMO.

9 minutes ago, zerbit said:

But the biggest question is:  Will they  rent in Pesos? :lol:

3 hours ago, Yo1 said:

You are such a nit picker, Angus, and totally not adding to this discussion.

Actually it is as the artist's rendition is seriously off in scale as will be quite obvious when the actual building goes up.  That is very typical of that type of presentation.  The rendition of the bicycle path "improvement" through Ajijic has the same flaw, exaggerating just how much space there is to work with.

When I look at that high rise at El Dorado sitting next to that hole they are trying to turn into "Radisson" condos I really have to wonder just how smart these developers are.  I hope we don't end up with yet another half built impossible to sell hulk just down the hill.  The site really isn't attractive for much so I don't see much of a loss here.  Since it is being built anyway, we can only hope that it succeeds.  Better a success than another hulking failure.

Archived