Chapala.com Webboard

New construction next to coca cola

Kyle

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving by yesterday I saw the construction trailer and saw the photo...just might be time to go somewhere else.  

The changes are coming too quick and are exactly counter to what brought me here in 2005ish.  

I moved to Ajijic in 1994. At a time when this place was a neat place to live people knew people, when you could rent a room at the Nido Hotel for 25 pesos a nite. Like so many place in Mexico and elsewhere PROGRESS and peoples greed are destroying the things and places many of us, if not most, have spent a majority of our lives wanting to be a part of.

That's why when I read a post telling someone who never stepped a foot in Mexico how great it is to live hear I want to throw up.  Why not retire in the many beautiful places in the United States or Canada at least there you have a reasonable idea of what to expect when you arrive. Times they are a changing and around here very fast.  For me I will be returning to the US at least its more predictable there..

It is not a progress which is troublesome for this area, it is the big demographics change which this " progress" caters to . (in my opinion). It will attract people.... but probably not the crowd who came here for the past time atmosphere ( which was such a refreshing change of pace.)

Becoming more and more as NOB. Read what people are missing here..??  Their lifestyle NOB. 

It is mainly all about the money. There will be more fast food outlets, condos and shopping. Guaranteed. Is that a progress?

I guess for some.

And yes, I am bitter about that.:010:

Which year will you be arriving? Do these folks actually have a permit? All the short term renters will be well served! Traffic & confusion on an already dangerous stretch of highway! Garbage & sewage to where? There goes the water pressure! The car wash lads will be very happy. Progress is when the large lot across the street goes for 2 similar low rise projects.

3 hours ago, solajijic said:

Driving by yesterday I saw the construction trailer and saw the photo...just might be time to go somewhere else.  

The changes are coming too quick and are exactly counter to what brought me here in 2005ish.  

And us in 2001. We left in 2008 for PV and I am so glad we have so many pictures to remember how it was. Time always marches on and Old Farts always say "You shoulda been here then". Still the best people we ever knew.  Carry on!!

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I moved to Ajijic in 1994. At a time when this place was a neat place to live people knew people, when you could rent a room at the Nido Hotel for 25 pesos a nite. Like so many place in Mexico and elsewhere PROGRESS and peoples greed are destroying the things and places many of us, if not most, have spent a majority of our lives wanting to be a part of.

That's why when I read a post telling someone who never stepped a foot in Mexico how great it is to live hear I want to throw up.  Why not retire in the many beautiful places in the United States or Canada at least there you have a reasonable idea of what to expect when you arrive. Times they are a changing and around here very fast.  For me I will be returning to the US at least its more predictable there..

We stayed at The Nido in Chapala in 1997 and it had risen to $16.50 US so inflation had already kicked in. It was described in a guidebook as "charming, although a little down at the heels".  LOL, we enjoyed 3 nights there.

Looks like a nice development. I have no problem with it all. Lots of parking for residents, commercial space. Don't see many NOB expats moving there, they are too small in numbers, especially if the US$ keeps dropping. Will be mostly younger, Mexican professionals. They didn't even bother to make their website bilingual, so I am sure they are thinking along the same lines. Why can't Mexicans live in clean, modern, up to date, constructed buildings?

It's hardly in some pristine location.  It's between WalMart and Coca Cola, facing a very busy street.  We should count ourselves lucky they didn't stick it in the middle of someone's residential neighborhood, basically it is in a commercial strip location.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in such a place but who knows?  

It will certainly be convenient, walk to WalMart, the Mall, the stores and restaurants of San Antonio.  Carretera buses at your door or step across the street and flag down the Directo to GDL.  Definitely attractive to someone without a car.  Wonder though what it will be like with all those trucks and loaders at Coca Cola firing up in the early morning hours?

Also the scale of that picture relative to the actual property is so far off it is useless.

3 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Wonder though what it will be like with all those trucks and loaders at Coca Cola firing up in the early morning hours?

Ever heard of double layer glass, and proper soundproofing? Pretty well the norm these days. Don't you remember when you were a young professional, leisure time is at a premium. Not much fun on a weekend fixing salitre, rotten plumbing/wiring, stuck drains, leaking roofs, workers saying they will show up - but never will.. A good 80% of the private homes and apartment buildings built here, at least before the 2,000's, were built with appalling techniques and very inferior materials.

I live at the north side of Ajijic, about as high up as you can go. Most all of the noise that bothers me while I sleep comes from down the hill. Therefore my south pointing windows are all double glazed. It's supposed dampen the sound and I think it makes a difference.

I have been here long enough that I am used to the noise anyway.

3 hours ago, zerbit said:

While many here are appalled at this new development, did you ever expect any other outcome ultimately? Where there is demand, there will be supply. The more expat population, the more expat geared offerings. 

You nailed it Zerbit!  If people had not flocked here in droves, there would be no demand....... nor would there be a lot of the other "aggravations" that come with more density, more  affluent foreigners (and some tapatios) to pay for higher-priced, fancier "everything. And for those quoting prices from 20 years ago, give or take, who do you think you're fooling other than yourselves?

Don't like what this side of the lake has become? Then go to the south shore!  I can assure you there is lots of quiet, lots of Mexican flavor, and an undisturbed atmosphere of going back in time. Don't, however, expect much in the way on the conveniences that are taken for granted on this side.........

Betty, I don't understand the notion you make of them planning on bringing Guadalajara to the Chapala area, that would be physically impossible on more than one level.  But they do plan on bringing some modern conveniences that exist in Gdl to our area.  But the way I see it, is that available space to build these large developments that you are predicting are drindling.  There isn't much more space to build large things here.  The area is a small narrow strip, highly populated between the mountains and the lake.  The good news is, is that real estate prices are up and rising, so if anyone feels like they need to get out of Dodge before the area becomes too modern, now is a great time to sell and move on to a new quiet corner of Mexico.  Mexico is a very large country!

Archived