Chapala.com Webboard

State of Jalisco covering some shortfalls in Federal funding of Pueblos Magicos

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A local Mexican friend told me he did not want this official "pueblo magico" title because it will just bring more traffic and noisy weekends.  Aren't most of the existing Pueblos Magicos situated a little more remotely and therefore, maybe able to benefit by more tourism?  Millions of people who live in GDL only 1 hour away already come to Lake Chapala, an area which is hardly in need of more tourism.  We can hardly handle the traffic as it is!

a group of us discussed the same thing ezpz and we came to the same conclusion. There are already too many people attracted here. We don't need any more traffic until the highway through town,  the carretera, becomes four lain, something that I don't think will be occurring very soon. 

Considering the terrain involved, and the need for ramped intersections and maybe even turning lanes.......I doubt that it is possible, short of destroying the area.  Imagine: A four lane higher speed highway.......with a bike lane and sidewalks.   Then imagine multi-story parking garages and anything else your heart may desire.   Not in our lifetime.  :unsure:

25 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Considering the terrain involved, and the need for ramped intersections and maybe even turning lanes.......I doubt that it is possible, short of destroying the area.  Imagine: A four lane higher speed highway.......with a bike lane and sidewalks.   Then imagine multi-story parking garages and anything else your heart may desire.   Not in our lifetime.  :unsure:

Agree completely.  When I put my engineer hat on I see no solution that doesn't involve massive dislocation and change of character.  With the new cuota between Chapala highway and Lopez Mateos (extended) soon to open, maybe some of the traffic trying to get through here to get to the west end of the lake will use that as an alternate route.  Basically, though, I think we are stuck with what we have now.  I actually do support this limited enhancement because it would improve the sidewalks and give people who use bikes to get around or go to work a way to get through town better.  The car situation will still be about the same, namely not so hot.  

I support this limited improvement with the concern about how they will keep the sometimes wild and crazy drivers from running over people in the bike lane.

What we think of pueblo magico is irrelevant the state will do what they will do.. The fact that some will be discard is a good thing, they need to keep pressure on the Pueblos Magicos to comply with whatever the rules are or they will lose all credibility..

It is simply not feasible to even consider widening the carretera to 4 lanes.  The natural topography does not allow for that, with the steep hills being located quite near a large body of water and most of the area already built up.  The construction alone would be sheer hell for months.  The destruction would really hurt the homes and businesses along the carretera.

Widening less than say, a 10 mile stretch of road  is pointless because all it does is encourage restless and reckless drivers to lurch forward and race around the others, and then, when the road narrows down again, every one slams on their breaks to slow down, which is hard on the car and dangerous as well.   So you still end up with the same bottleneck traffic.

One thing that would improve traffic flow is to add more bus lines between Chapala and Joco, and from GDL on weekends, holidays, and vacation periods.  I am carless-by-choice and ride the bus quite often.  In recent years, the buses have become packed like sardines during most hours with lots of school kids and workers on different shifts all day long.  There is certainly room to grow the bus business without undue trauma to the local infrastructure.

Many gringos here come from the frigid Plains States or provinces where it is assumed you can keep widening and building new roads and infrastructure.  The SF Bay Area, where I used to live,  is a rare metropolis which is situated between large bodies of water and sometimes steep hills and mountains like here, which dictate where you can build roads and freeways.  The forward-thinking and environmentally-minded northern Californians anticipated these issues decades ago and voted down building freeways right on the coast or through very scenic Marin Country which now has property values similar to Manhattan.  San Francisco does not have a freeway, you have to drive through the scenic city streets to get from one end to the other.  Again, VERY high property values - my entire retirement income would not even pay for a 1-BR apt in the Bay Area.

Car free from Fenix in SA to Rio Zula. All vehicles must use the low road. Those needing to access the north side are able to cross only at the traffic lights.  :wub:

Edit:  Allow Tuk-tuks to ferry pedestrians around or golf carts or..............

Something?  What might that be?  Maybe large parking lots east of Chapala and West of La Canacita, with only shuttle busses running between the two lots with stops every kilometer along the way.  Then, small jitney service, from the bus stops, north and south of the carretera.  No cars, no taxis and just small delivery vans for commercial purposes only.  It would be like magic.

That Mexico City plan really works. License plates with a last number that is even can only be on the road on even days of the month. And those ending with an odd number can only be on the streets on odd days of the month. If they do that lots of us old folks will have to start walking every other day or buy another car with the correct license plates.

I think we should try it for a month.:)

3 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

They can ride the bus or take a taxi.

"But officer, I know I'm not supposed to drive today but I signed up for a course at LCS a long time ago. You don't understand, I'm on a strict budget and I can't afford a taxi and the bus leaves me too far away"

Officer: "OK, go on, don't do it again". Dreams: "In the old days I could just get a mordida out of them. Now they want to take a video of me and put it on You Tube. What's wrong with these gringos?"

3 hours ago, johanson said:

That Mexico City plan really works. License plates with a last number that is even can only be on the road on even days of the month. And those ending with an odd number can only be on the streets on odd days of the month. If they do that lots of us old folks will have to start walking every other day or buy another car with the correct license plates.

I am sure what would happen in MX if they did not have this plan....I do know that the current traffic in MX is horrible and very gridlocked...Fact is it can take you longer by taxi to get to the American Embassy, than it took to fly from Guad . Many of the intersections are supervised by the police, but remain  blocked and traffic can not move when the lights change 

13 hours ago, johanson said:

Can't vouch for it being true but I'm told that those that can afford it there may be doing just that--having two cars, one with odd plates one with even.

It was definitely quieter around here this weekend.

14 hours ago, johanson said:

Pete, Mexico City's  Hoy No Circula works very differently from what you say in your post--has nothing to do with even or odd numbers or days.  Take a look at this English-language link for accurate information:

http://www.mexicocity.gob.mx/contenido.php?cat=11200&sub=0&idioma=en

How hoy no circula would work in Ajijic, is that if people owned, or rented,  off street parking, or garages, they would be allowed a limited number of times to take the vehicle out per week and return behind the "invisible" wall. If that did not work for them, they would have to find outside parking in a less congested area. Just getting rid of all the abandoned, derelict vehicles alone would be a huge visual benefit. Lets make the Lady of the Lake smile, not cry.

Archived