Chapala.com Webboard

Upholstery Foam

I need a good quality foam cut to my specs for a bench seat.  I have used the upholstery shop in Chapala (Oscar?? I think) years ago.  Not sure if he sells the foam separately.  If he does, can you remind me of where he is by street name and directions from the Chapala main drag?

Or direct to me another shop to buy the foam where it can be cut to order.  

Gracias. 

WE've used Nibardo Luna from Tapiceria en General.  He made some good firm cushions for our old equipales "sofas".  Very happy with his work.  Address is Ignacio Allende #10 in Chapala.

Tel # is 765-5611. He can come to your home for an estimate. 

Oscar has made for us among other things, a dog bed composed of two types of foam providing both firmness and comfort for our 4 legged kid... His idea and it works great...I am sure you could get the foam you are seeking there...

Thick or thin, hard or soft, when it comes to foam, has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality, i.e. how soon it will start to beak down or squash down in the middle. Foam quality is referred to as its density. Think of it as its "spring back" factor. You can have a thick, firm foam that is actually very poor quality and will not hold up over time. Or a thinner, softer foam that will maintain its shape for many years. Here in Mexico I have found foam in densities from 18- 40. Anything below a 30 density foam will not perform well over time. For something like a dog bed, it really doesn't matter. But if its for your sofa or to use as a bed mattress, it certainly does. You know those chair cushions in lots of restaurants that give so little padding that you might as well be sitting on the wooden seat? Usually 18-20 density- in other words, the cheapest foam the upholsterer could find.

Archived