Chapala.com Webboard

Google Chrome

cedros

Google Chrome is not working as a browser today. I've never seen this before. Is anyone else having the same problem? I've had to switch to IE.

5 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Restarting the computer does wonders for many problems.

I've done that several times.

If you switched to Internet Explorer, then most likely you are in Windows. Previous posts all point to the right steps, in particular uninstalling and reinstalling. However, when you uninstall Chrome, it leaves behind a huge cache of files, in the expectation that you will be reinstalling it in the future.

So if uninstalling and reinstalling it doesn't work, you would need to do two things: one, use the Bookmark Manager to export your Bookmarks file to a place you know you can recover it, and two, find and delete the Profile folder, after uninstalling Chrome. Then reinstall Chrome, and use the Bookmark Manager to import that Bookmark file.

In 7 8 and 10, the Chrome Profile is found on C://Users/"yourname"/AppData/Local/Chrome/Profiles. You will have to be able to see your protected system files by going through the Windows Explorer File Manager. I know this is getting tricky, but if you search Google you will find both videos and step-by-steps.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have Windows 7. When I clicked on a icon on my desktop it would not open. After not working most of the day Google Chrome is working fine now and I did nothing. 

An interesting hack for Chrome that I use.  Many times a news article will suck you in either since you have exceeded your freebie quota (NY Times) or you have to subscribe to continue.  Using the mouse copy the URL (address bar).  Go to Chrome settings (3 vertical dots extreme upper right).  Click to open and the click (Create new incognito window).  When the window opens paste the URL and hit Enter.  The article will open and you can continue reading.

I've never had a problem with Chrome, and I've been using it as my main browser for several years.  I find it more reliable than IE or Safari.  And concerning the freebie quota on most newspaper sites, when you reach your limit, just clear your cache, and those websites start counting from zero again.  Easy peasy!

Archived