Chapala.com Webboard

San Blas Questions

hensley

Who needs boutiques? I went to a doctor once in Bucerias and he said most of his business was treating people who had been stung by sting rays. It is a perfect beach for sting rays. Also sewage from parts of Bucerias goes into the ocean.  San Pancho is beautiful but the undertow is very dangerous so you need to be very careful where you swim. Many people have gotten in trouble swimming there.

And the timing of that Doctor's report in Bucerias? What year?

Swimming in the open ocean is hazardous. I remember body surfing with two of my stepkids on the south end of San Pancho Beach,  when one of them asked what the fish were eating. There was a lot of rippling on the surface of the water. I said it was more important to know what was eating the fish... and we motored at top speed out of the water. Never swim on the north end of the San Pancho beach because there is always an undertow there.

29 minutes ago, cedros said:

I have visited most of the towns on the west coast and I think my favorite is Puerto Angel (fairly near Puerto Escondido). Small fishing town with some decent hotels . It was relatively undeveloped.

Is that Oaxaca?

I have been to Oaxaca area, I want to do a beach trip along the coast of the pacific from Sayulita to Cuyutlan, we want to check out all the beach towns along this route.

So we are looking to stay a couple of nights or more in these towns so far:

Hotels around the $1000p a night in Sayulita, Punta Mita, Yelapa, La Manzanilla, Melaque and Barra?

7 minutes ago, hensley said:

I have been to Oaxaca area, I want to do a beach trip along the coast of the pacific from Sayulita to Cuyutlan, we want to check out all the beach towns along this route.

Hotels around the $1000p a night in Sayulita, Punta Mita, Yelapa, La Manzanilla, Melaque and Barra?

Yelapa only via lancha. Punta Mita is quite expensive in high season. La Cruz, a ways from there towards Bucerias has a very nice beach, La Manzanilla, and much cheaper lodging.  We always stayed at Bungalows Marvida in Barra and were happy with what we got for the price.

http://www.tomzap.com/marvida.html

10 minutes ago, hensley said:

I would rather sit in a hot box in the sun than spend an hour in Sayulita, with its' constant noise, polluted water, and raw sewage running in the streets! My group and I used to go for tacos in the street at least once a week, but no more. Just too gross.

Check out San Pancho, excellent restaurants there, and Guayabitos just down the road.

4 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

I would rather sit in a hot box in the sun than spend an hour in Sayulita, with its' constant noise, polluted water, and raw sewage running in the streets! My group and I used to go for tacos in the street at least once a week, but no more. Just too gross.

Check out San Pancho, excellent restaurants there, and Guayabitos just down the road.

Agree, one visit 4 years ago and it's only an hour away was enough for us.

IMHO the nicest beach along that whole stretch is at Lo de Marcos, north of San Pancho and well south of R de G. No boutiques!

http://www.rivieranayarit.com/lo_de_marcos_nayarit

I would listen to Camille since she lives just south of Sayulita and her opinion is more up to date than mine from 2013. That's too bad about what's happening in Sayulita. But, that's why it's important to include month and year in what your experience is. Everybody's needs are different. I happen to like boutiques (insert smiley blowing a raspberry).

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I have visited Sayulita many times. Mainly to go to the one great restaurant (Don Pedro) there. Not much else to recommend it IMHO.

There's at least 200 restaurants in Sayulita now. I can assure you that Don Pedro's, while good, is far from the "one great restaurant". Don Juan's, while not on the beach, nor in the centro, (a plus, in my book, as it's not noisy) is many of the locals' favorite. Tierra Viva, a block up from the beach,  is also excellent.

I haven't been in San Blas for many years, but when I stayed there for a month, we rented a small house in town. In spite of everyone saying how bad the jejenes were in San Blas, we did not experience this at the house. Several times we took the boat trip out to the peninsula and spent the day at the beach there (there's an old fort there as well), where there were no jejenes. Also took the "jungle boat ride" up the river, where there were gorgeous water birds and crocodiles. The end of the line is a restaurant where we had lunch before heading back. We quite enjoyed San Blas.

58 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

There's at least 200 restaurants in Sayulita now. I can assure you that Don Pedro's, while good, is far from the "one great restaurant". Don Juan's, while not on the beach, nor in the centro, (a plus, in my book, as it's not noisy) is many of the locals' favorite. Tierra Viva, a block up from the beach,  is also excellent.

Thank you very much!!

12 hours ago, hensley said:

Looking online and on Google Earth but with no luck finding bungalows close to the beach and what is there all to do there?

Any good restaurants for nice dinners?

Thanks so much for your help!

Take a look at the family-run Hotel Garza Canela in San Blas.  The hotel has an on-site restaurant, considered to be one of the best in the country; the chef there, a graduate of the Cordon Bleu in Paris, is a judge for Mexico's MasterChef Juvenile section.

http://www.garzacanela.com/en/instalaciones/

11 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Yelapa only via lancha. Punta Mita is quite expensive in high season. La Cruz, a ways from there towards Bucerias has a very nice beach, La Manzanilla, and much cheaper lodging.  We always stayed at Bungalows Marvida in Barra and were happy with what we got for the price.

http://www.tomzap.com/marvida.html

La Cruz has a very nice beach! I had a house on the ocean there for 13 years and there certainly isn't a very nice beach there. Most of the beaches are very rocky. The one sandy one-Manzanilla has murky water with sting rays.

Have another one. Most Pacific coast beaches don't compare with Caribbean ones. You seem to attract any sting ray that might be around. That must have been some doc you went to in Bucerias. I wonder why most of his patients were people stung by a sting ray.

15 hours ago, hensley said:

March

Easter next year is April 1 so unless you are attracted to hordes of happy Mexican families on holiday, I would nix the week before and after.

Middle of April to middle of May is usually a great time to be at the beach. Snowbirds gone, kids back in school and temps usually well below Lakeside and no smoke. Love to hear how it works out.

I agree with Pappy. By the middle to third week in April, the beaches will have been cleaned up and it will be blissfully quiet and serene. We used to literally "hole up" for those two weeks and stay off the roads completely

7 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I agree with Pappy. By the middle to third week in April, the beaches will have been cleaned up and it will be blissfully quiet and serene. We used to literally "hole up" for those two weeks and stay off the roads completely

That's exactly what we do; last trips to Costco, Walmart and Ley's and then only down to our local mercado. Way too many crazies.

Yup I agree with you guys, we looked into Oct. but many places already booked, checked March and same, so we are looking at the end of April into May.

Gosh you guys are a wealth of info and I have bookmarked many suggestions you have had, I also found tons of suggestions on Facebook from the On The Road in Mexico, they have been very helpful also.

Archived