Chapala.com Webboard

Jitomate Gourmet, recently opened

ComputerGuy

This place is owned and cheffed by Gerard Militello, a son of Giovanni who has a place currently at Centro Laguna.

We went on Saturday night, and he had been quite busy, so was out of a few items, but told us that up front. At 8pm (he is open 12:30 til 10:30) there were only a few people there. The place is done up quite nicely, very pleasant.

The menu consists of some lively pizza choices, some lunch sandwiches, and a few original appetizers, along with daily specials. We were lucky enough to get a salmon and spinach lasagna, and I order the Quattro Stagione (4 stations) pizza. We also had a panela/vegetable appetizer. This consisted of a variety of veggies baked in the wood-burning pizza oven, with a sauce reduction and sitting on a whole mess of melted panela. The result was a nice, smokey-flavoured dish, delicious.

The lasagna was excellent, and the pizza came absolutely loaded with full slices of deli ham, thick cuts of pepperoni, a veggie portion with eggplant and carrot, and a cheese section. 8 slices to the pie. Just excellent, and the dough is sourdough, which some say is less difficult on stomachs. The dough was cooked perfectly, and the cheese was a-bubblin'. Service was great, as was the personalized attention from Gerard, the chef.

We had agua frescas at 25p, very tasty. The one drawback may be Gerard's pricing. He wants to show the place as upscale, and the prices reflect that. The appetizer was $140p, which is a lot for a plate of vegetables. I might suggest to him to double the portion and charge $200 pesos and call it a meal for two. The pizza was the most expensive pizza at $180; most of them are $140. Considering how loaded with ingredients the pie actually is, $180 is probably a fair price. Lasagna was $140: the portion was very large. When your bill comes to $525 for pizza and lasagna with an appetizer, before tip, it feels like a lot, so I am still deciding.

The place is right beside El Ancla, out west of town. Closed Tuesdays.

Great review, thanks.

I think I just gained 2 pounds reading it.:lol:

Appetizer, pizza and lasagna in one sitting! I need to get on the scale, maybe closer to 3 pounds. Good for you CG if you can eat like that.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Quattro Stagione (4 stations) pizza

In Italian, Quattro Stagione means Four Seasons, and I suppose that´s what he was trying to evoke with the 4 sections of your pizza, tho I don´t get it, judging from the nice picture you included.

Good review, as always CG! Will definitely check this out...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived