Chapala.com Webboard

Dental implants

I have been told I need a dental implant. Does anyone have experience with getting a dental implant in Ajijic, Chapala, etc.? Cost? Satisfaction? I am not currently in pain and depending upon what the second opinion is, and what I learn from responses to this post, I may decide to wait until I come to Ajijic in early 2018. Thanks for your input!

I don't think you ever NEED an implant.. they are a good if your missing a tooth.

I had 2 implants done last year by Dr Candy, the cost was 30 thousand peso for 2. It was a totally pain free and positive experience. She is not the cheapest in town but in my opinion one of the best, if you check previous posts on this board you will find she comes highly recommend. Before having mine done I spoke to a severall people who had them done by Dr Candy and they couldn't say enough good things about her. 

Dr. Haro and Dr. Barragan both do implants as well. I had mine done by Dr. Haro and am happy. This was four years ago now so the cost will be different. As a matter of fact, there is no one cut and dried price because it depends on a number of factors. Shop around, get a few estimates and go with what's (who's) comfortable for you.

I just finished having 4 dental implants done by Dr. Candy.  She is a very competent dentist and did a fantastic job.  Each implant 15,000 pesos.  So reasonable. I highly recommend her - good luck.  It was not at all painful -  a tab uncomfortable for a day or so but no big deal.  A couple of tylenol was all that I needed. Good Luck to you!

To be completely accurate, neither Dr. Haro nor Dr. Barragan themselves do implants.... they have associates from Guadalajara who come down for the actual implant. They 'may' do the finish up work.... crown on the post.... but I'm not sure about that. Having said that, those two 'offices' are known for their good work but are not the cheapest in town. But sometimes cheap denotes...

BTW, if your tooth needing an implant is top molars (#14 and # ? on the other side) be extremely careful doing an implant... there isn't much bone there due to the sinus cavity above them. The LAST thing one want to do is 'bust' into that cavity with an implant. And sometimes a bone graft there still doesn't provide enough bone to work. Ask me how I know.....

I would vote for you to wait and have it done at one of the three offices mentioned above. Cost for one implant/crown in Colorado was $4,000. Dra. Candy, $850.

When looking for a reference for an implant dentist, best to heed advice from someone who has had the implants in place for 4 years or more.  No shortage of horror stories when someone went on price and chose a dentist or a peridontist who placed a short implant in a top molar space only to have it fail within a couple of years.  Some of these professionals will place a 6mm implant in lieu of a 10mm to avoid the necessary surgery for the bone graft. When in doubt, go with a dental surgeon, Cirujano Maxilofaciales.  Just my two cents

I was introduced to an over-the-counter pain medicine here that the dentist said worked particularly well for dental pain called Supradol (sublingual) that is not a narcotic and works better than any pain pill I have ever used for dental pain. If anyone is getting dental work that might involve pain, you might want to ask your dentist about it.

Archived