Chapala.com Webboard

State Police Checkpoint This Afternoon

JRPJR

On the way to Jocotopetec about 3 this afternoon we saw 2 State Police trucks in the parking lot across from the last of the " fish restaurants "  which I believe is La Iguana. They we watching traffic with guns at the ready. Just before the bypass to Guad there was a road block on both sides of the read. We were clearly speeding when we approached it but we waived through. Car and trucks were stopped and the occupants removed as the vehicles were searched. We were not stoped and treated with courtesy when we were waived through in each direction.

On our way back home to Ajijic the police that had been across from Iguana were in the restaurant walking around with their rifles out.  If I'm not mistaken and this is the same restaurant a couple of bad guys were murdered a few years ago. Clearly these guys were looking for someone or something.

thats all I  know.

I thought some people would find this interesting. If you're not, I am good with that. Although, I don't understand why you bothered to post about something you don't care about.

There were several state police trucks in Joco stopping people. My neighbor was stopped and his car searched. One state truck was at the corner talking to 2 men on a motorcycle. The first 2 trucks joined that truck. It was very odd. They are after someone but they must not have much of a description.

News is on Twitter.  Put Jocotepec in the search engine.  They picked up 3 men selling drugs using a red motorcycle.   

Typically when state police come through they clean house and settle things down.

State police was patrolling fully armed like the military the other night in Chapala.   I'm told they do that but it's been a while since I've been out driving around after dark.  Hehe 

Interesting, how Police tucks, with armed Police, become "highlights" and "speculations" of the day in Ajijic and surrounding areas. There is only one main road along the lake so this is the only route the Police or Ambulances can take. They have their sirens going to alert people they are travelling at a speed higher than normal.  They only have one road to operate check points and they will stop and check your vehicle even if you aren't Mexican born, because it is their responsibility.

All this sound familiar?

It is an everyday occurrence in Phoenix, Los Angeles, Toronto and most other cities throughout the world. The differences in other cities there is generally more than one main road to their destination and they generally only have to close a few neighborhood streets  to close and complete their searches. Also, unless it is a swat team action, the armed Police are in cars not sitting on the back of a pickup truck.

The difference in other cities is that unless it has been a "shootout" or someone has been killed or it is a hugely successful drug bust, the "high speed" Police event barely gets mentioned in the media and even less so by the general population. Here, however, people dwell on the little knowledge they have by either driving past the event or being checked out by the Police or hearing about the event second hand. I say congratulations to the Police for trying to catch the perpetrators of the crime and make out communities safer by using road blocks and what ever noise and speed they must use to get to the location. It doesn't mean it is the end of our life as we currently know it.

Break-ins and petty crime happen in every small town throughout the word and garnish very little attention outside the "local" populace. Of course, here it becomes an "International Press" release. Why?  Because some foreigners think or dream that their retirement should be crime free, which we all know isn't 100% possible for all of us.

Major crime here is really small compared to most cities and I think that we can thank the Police and their "roadblocks" for assisting in maintaining this sprawling lakeside community safe for all of us. 

So don't get upset if you see a few Police trucks with armed troops on the back or if there are 5 flashing light trucks, with sirens blaring, racing down the Caraterra, they are just trying to make us all feel a little more comfortable in our old age.

"Here, however, people dwell on the little knowledge they have by either driving past the event or being checked out by the Police or hearing about the event second hand. "

I don't think people are over reacting or need to be calmed down or patronized. "It doesn't mean it is the end of our life as we currently know it. "

This forum serves as a major news outlet for this small community. We share all kinds of information here. Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Coyote, you mention large NOB cities in comparing the interest level in police activities. This area is a series of small towns and villages. If police went through Mayberry with sirens blasting and set up a rode block on the edge of town by the Dairy Queen people would notice and be talking about it.  I noticed interest and curiosity in the posts here but didn't see anyone being upset. Some people entertain themselves by noting increased police activity. Other people write long posts on local webboards making much ado about those people. We are all just passing time in our own ways.

Nothing wrong on being informed, just the speculation as to why is not information.

Example the person "commenting " by the laguna restaraunt where two people where killed. Firstly it wan't the laguna restaurant and that happen 3 or 4 years ago so why mention it now?

Factual news is one thing, speculation or invented knews is something else.

The premise of my original response was to thank the Police for trying to keep the area safe and unless we sat in their pre-op briefing we really don't know what they were actually doing.

45 minutes ago, Coyote11 said:

Nothing wrong on being informed, just the speculation as to why is not information.

Example the person "commenting " by the laguna restaraunt where two people where killed. Firstly it wan't the laguna restaurant and that happen 3 or 4 years ago so why mention it now?

Factual news is one thing, speculation or invented knews is something else.

The premise of my original response was to thank the Police for trying to keep the area safe and unless we sat in their pre-op briefing we really don't know what they were actually doing.

I mentioned it because police walking around with in restaurants with automatic weapons at the ready is less than a common occurrence. That mention was a fact. I stated that I might be mistaken but I thought that was the place the murders had occurred some years ago. I did not state that as fact.

in terms of being being thankful for the police presence  no where did I suggest that I wasn't and clearly stated we were treated courteously when transiting the checkpoint in both directions.

I usually don't bother to respond to post such as yours because I realize that some people have a need to build themselves by dragging others down. Others have a fulfilling life and don't feel the need to constantly try to show how smart the are. I'm sorry for you that you appear to fall in the former category. 

So if an innuendo was not intended, why the comment about a murder a few years ago? This wasn't the current event and probably had no relevance whatsoever to the road block.

Have you never been in a restaurant where armed police have entered. Again if police are armed they are always at the ready.

Reporting facts are good, a persons speculation on the facts leads to the rumor machine creating misinformation.

If you follow the Mexican news closely there has been a  lot of drug activity, killing etc in Jalisco. Besides that Both Julian Alvarez and Rafael Marquez seemed to be associated with some of the drug cartels and involved with money laundering through charities etc. Money was seized and bank accounts were frozen . http://www.univision.com/noticias/narcotrafico/eeuu-sanciona-al-cantante-julion-alvarez-y-al-futbolista-rafael-marquez-por-su-relacion-con-el-narco-en-mexico   If you dig real deep  it goes pretty high up the political chain. After the bust mentioned above The DOJ posted a list of businesses and people that were laundering money, there were business from all over country including Jalisco and even some with addresses in Chapala. The police activity in Guadalajara has been very active searching for stolen cars, weapons, drugs etc. As far s the police  activity Lakeside a lot is due to drug trafficking a lot of it in Joco, Chapala and Ixtlahuacan so maybe they are just trying to get a handle on things and trying to calm things down. Its not just here, I made two trips to Ocotlan last week and the state police and Military are also very active there as well.

Here is an article I found in English

http://www.chicagotribune.com/hoy/ct-hoy-rafa-marquez-and-julion-alvarez-among-22-sanctioned-by-us-government-for-drug-ties-20170809-story.html

Here is a list from the DOJ of the businesses that were supposedly involved

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20170809.aspx

Archived